PDA

View Full Version : rear end noise?

Jefflounsbury
09-04-2003, 10:45 PM
I am a little concerned about the noise coming from the rearend of my car. I had a set of 4.10s put in about a month ago, but I have probably only put 100 miles on it since then. when he put the gears in, he also said that the clutches in the limited slip looked pretty bad also, so I had him replace them. When I first got the car back he said it might shudder a little because the clutches had to wear in. Now after all this time it has developed a kind of groaning noise. Is this normal? Also I bought some synthetic redline oil and friction modifier to have him put in. the redline is 75w-90ns and whatever the little bottle of redline friction modifier is. Should I try the ford oil and friction modifier instead and see what happens? any help would be greatly appreciated.

steve
09-05-2003, 03:47 AM
I don't know why you added friction modifier with the redline 75w-90w, it already comes with modifier and you're not supposed to add any more. CAll redline and ask them, or check the literature for redline gear oil, it will explain how the 75w-90w gear oil already contains friction modifier and you don't need to add any additional amount. That may be the cause of your problem. Good luck. Peace

Jefflounsbury
09-05-2003, 06:37 PM
actually I bought redline 75w-90 "NS", which has no friction modifier. I bought it by accident and had to go later and get the friction modifier.

tnturbo
09-05-2003, 07:19 PM
What brand of gears are they? What kind of noise is it, whine, chatter, clunk???

Jefflounsbury
09-07-2003, 04:05 AM
I bought the ford motorsport gears, and i guess its like a low whine? kinda? the worst is around 30 to 40 miles an hour.