PDA

View Full Version : 03 cobra top speed?

cobravenom
09-10-2003, 05:35 PM
typically i take a road trip to visit family and open up my cars in certain states where 155+ mph is relatively safe. havent got to do that with my cobra yet, so ill ask. whats the fastest (top end) that you guys had these things up to? stock and otherwise. second, im not a big 1/4 track guy, is it worth it for me to lower my gear ratio to improve high end?

BlackCoupe
09-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Mine is pretty much stock, and the fastest I've had it up to is 130-135 mph. The car felt pretty good going that fast. It wasn't for a long period of time, but at that speed I felt like I had complete control. I've seen a video of a guy hitting 160mph. I don't know what mods he has, but if you are interested in seeing the video, pm me and I'll send it to you?

03 cobra toy
09-14-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by cobravenom
typically i take a road trip to visit family and open up my cars in certain states where 155+ mph is relatively safe. havent got to do that with my cobra yet, so ill ask. whats the fastest (top end) that you guys had these things up to? stock and otherwise. second, im not a big 1/4 track guy, is it worth it for me to lower my gear ratio to improve high end?

:rolleyes: Well the fastest I have been is 160 mph (5th gear)but I would not recommend this unless you have the right mods ! Bigger brakes, Suspension and list goes on and on....
The top speed for a 03 Cobra is 176 mph set at the salt flats. The car was in 6th gear and at 4800 rpm. They were limited by their factory wheels that had been approved for only 180 mph.
I would not change you gear just use 6th gear and spend your money on lowering you car ...:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://www.mustangweekly.com/2003/august/news/n8-13-3rd.asp

FYI the factory chip has a speed limit of 155 mph :(

Evilcartman
09-15-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by 01 cobra toy
rolleye
FYI the factory chip has a speed limit of 155 mph :(

Actually, my gauge showed 160 before I installed the chip and removed the governor. If the gauge is off, then the governor would be off also. I haven't taken it past 160 yet since I got the chip.

Scream
09-23-2003, 11:53 PM
I've had mine up too 155-160 out in Wyoming. It seems to be a stable car at that speed and it didn't hesitate to get there. This was only using fifth gear. I think the revs were somewhere around 5000. If I where you I'd leave the rear gear alone and if you do put gear in it it should be 3.73's or 4.10. because the high end is already mathematically higher than the car is capable of. Just my two cents. Mike

cobravenom
09-24-2003, 08:38 PM
i just figured on lowering the gear ratio to try to bring up the top end. i have my other cars configured to hit 180+ mph. my acura nsx was clocked at 186mph and my turbo camaro z28 at 187mph ( 2.41, 660rwhp) was trying to get my cobra to match those numbers.

Scream
10-19-2003, 11:57 PM
With stock 3.55's and spinning the motor at 6400 RPM the car would be going 220MPH in 6th gear (.63 Overdrive). That is faster than the car will ever be capable of doing because of it's physical design.

Black03
11-01-2003, 09:32 AM
I was "racing" a Cobra convert in my coupe and "accidently" hit 145 - I did not know I was going so fast until I saw I was out of room and looked down - WOW - that was easy!

Flyn high again
11-05-2003, 10:01 AM
I hit 147 when I was checking on my "vibe" fix [new driveshaft]. No problems except I ran out of road and had to slow before 150...

I was talking to a guy who put 411s in his and with no mods other than gear and slicks, he was running 12.2s. He said he hit 12.9 stock. He races so driving ability may play a role in his times.

Black03
11-05-2003, 08:56 PM
I will be putting on the smaller pulley next month and plan to do the 4.10 gears as well. I have decided to let the fuel system limit my power - I will keep it around 600 max and that is not so hard to get to. I don't care much for top speed so the 4.10's will be just right - after the 315 Nittos go on:)

AAM Cobra 98
04-22-2005, 06:39 PM
i own a 97 cobra bone stock except for the kats removed and i hit approx 160mph in 4th gear @ aroud 7.500rpm ........... the stability of the car was very bad in comparison with my 3000GT twin Turbo ....

RF Cobra
04-22-2005, 08:34 PM
According to Ford Builder (March 05) the C/PS record holding Cobra is an '03 with a two way average of 203.231 mph with a 306 ci 32 valve motor and whipple along with a few other goodies (no exterior changes other than BBS wheels). They say it has 614 hp and 612 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels. The run was done on Pirelli PZero Supercar DOT tires.

Not bad! :)

DiablSport has it on their site http://www.diablosport.com/diabloracing.php
Go down to #4.

Rodo
04-23-2005, 02:11 PM
On the way down to fun ford weekend in Commerce last weekend I burried my speedometer for the first time. A convertible 03 came up beside me and kicked it, so I did the same. We were both going 160+!!!!!! It was an awesome rush!!
The car was still pulling strong when I let out.

silvertenth
04-24-2005, 01:59 AM
i was running with a viper and my buddies ferrari last summer and the testarossa's speedo said 170 and i was in front of him.

crunchit
04-24-2005, 08:53 AM
i was running with a viper and my buddies ferrari last summer and the testarossa's speedo said 170 and i was in front of him.
That's sweet! Would have loved to of seen a video :thumbsup:

ausie
04-24-2005, 11:45 AM
The fastest speed that I glanced at was close to the factory top end while in fourth gear. I thought the 03/04 Cobras were electronically governed at 155mph? The speedo was pointing to 4 o'clock. I was saying goodbye to a Pontiac GTO at the time and there was no time to accurately read the speed due to the traffic ahead was getting closer by the millisecond. There was still room for more speed too, but let loose on the throttle to slow down before rear ending anyone. The car was very stable at that speed, but I would hate to have an emergency situation when moving that fast. Even when slowing down I felt confident the brakes would do their job without failure. I am still stock excluding the cat-back. It did not take long to hit that speed either. It is no fun when you approach traffic at that speed. Worse would be a small animal on the road or a pot-hole. It becomes more of a challenge to avoid road debris when moving at high speed. I have not exceeded 140 in the 01 but I am sure there was room to max it out too but will take a bit longer to reach it.

silvertenth
04-24-2005, 08:08 PM
That's sweet! Would have loved to of seen a video

I wish I had one of that run.The people i drive with around here put on rallies and we do that sort of thing often in the summer.( I will probably get flamed)
If i can figure out how i will post some of videos. I have a good one from last year at a Ferrari run and i beat the bag out a 98 355 and a new cabrio corsa.
we have two runs coming up in the next few weeks so i will try to post some pics at least.