PDA

View Full Version : racing tips, First time at track

cobra rider
09-10-2003, 11:36 PM
My first time at the dragway and my times were disappointing. i ran low 15's all day. What should a stock 94 cobra run? My RT's were 5-6. My cluth has 80,000 miles on it. The car is fine so it don't need a tune up. What are some tips that some newbie's could learn for the track.

:mad: I need to go faster

cobrapace94
09-11-2003, 01:47 PM
The 1st time at the track for 95% of the people are a disappointment, don't worry about it. Don't worry about your reaction time, the time for the run does not start till you leave. The only thing the reaction time does is to determine who leaves 1st and is a factor on heads up and bracket racing.
What was your 60' times?
What was your MPH, that can determine what you are capible of running in the 1/4.
Were you spinning?
Shift points?
The best thing to do is practice. Shift points can help or hurt your times. Sticky tires help a lot with the torque the 5.0's have and you can launch at a higher RPM. If you don't drive it like you stole it, you will never get the best time out of your car. If you are worried about breaking it, then don't expect the best numbers out of your car also. That is the realilty of it. It is hard to "beat" on it to get the best times, but that is what you have to do to go fast, and it hard to repair when it gets broken (upgrade time then).
The best I have gone was 14.5 @ 98 mph with a 2.20 60' times.

cobra rider
09-12-2003, 11:43 AM
My 60 ft times were 2.3 to 2.5 and the highest I got my mph was 91.51. I ran 6 times and then got out. My biggest problem was shifting, I was not driving it like i stole it. What rpm should I shift at and how much gas should i let off if any, and how far should i push the clutch in.

Thanks,
Cobra Rider

cobrabitn
09-12-2003, 12:09 PM
A) Get an after market shifter, I use a Steeda Tri-ax
B) Get a set of drag radials to reduce your times. I use Nittos DRs
C) Practice, practice, practice and try not to spin off the line. Spinning is wasted energy.
D) Have Fun! Although drag racing can be frustrating when you want your best time, remember you are having fun with your car!

Hope that helps out?

Tony

SVT X 2
10-12-2003, 11:27 AM
Your Cobra is bone stock I take it?

93cobra#3326
03-24-2004, 09:20 PM
ok ive been to the track a time or 50 :D
i have some advise, just my .02 actuallly. like already said dont worry about reaction time at first. concentrate on launching. its all about the 60' time! also dont your waste your money on drag radials...yet. practice at the track or on some back roads your launch, and maybe depending on your shifting skill practice the all elusive 2nd to 3rd shift. stock tires and suspension you should be at least a 2.0 60'. once you get good you'll start seeing 1.9's, with a fat tire, some half way decent suspension 1.8's for 60'.(drag radials1.7's) air down your rear tires to at least 25psi but not lower than 20psi-for a street tire. also what rpm were you shifting at? 91 mph is way low. i have a good friend with a 94 cobra i cant remember exactly so ill be conserative: you should shift a stock cam'ed 5.0 at 5200 rpm maybe a little higher for a cobra (5300,5400 rpm) trap speed should be at least 100mph. as far as speed shifting-it takes lots of practice. i can only fully speed shift a "close to stock car".anyway proper sequence is this: at your shift rpm jab the clutch (how far depends on YOUR cars clutch grab point)at the same time as your foot starts moving start pulling/pushing it out of gear, by the time your foot is at it lowest point of travel you should have it just about in the nexr gear. mean while the gas pedal never comes off the floor! (i have to sometimes quickly pull up for a spilt second ) rpm's should and will jump up but only about 300 rpms. if you hit the rev limiter forget about it your run is screwed.oh yea launching: try to think of taking off quickly from a stop sign or like your gonna cut someone off. slip the helll out of the clutch. spinning is bad(obviously) so try keeping rpm up and slip the clutch if you start spinning, not letting off the gas, unless your getting stupid sideways. :D
sorry this is so long i got carried away. help this helped at least some.
bryan