PDA

View Full Version : Clutch felt strange for about 2 minutes yesterday...

2KWhiteSnake
09-13-2003, 02:19 PM
Wondering if I should be concerned, but I get in the Cobra to go home after work and start to pull out. I pull out and for some reason the clutch release point is lower than normal. It's right at the floor at that point, and normally it's about mid way through the throw of the pedal. I push in the pedal a few times and it goes back to the normal release point after about the 6th time.

Should I be concerned?

Craig

tcrews
09-14-2003, 09:04 AM
You clutch quadrant maybe be wearing down.......might be a good time to get a new clutch quadrant from steeda or so. The stock piece is plastic and the replacements are metal....much nicer.

2KWhiteSnake
09-14-2003, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the input. I was sure it wasn't much of anything. I'll look into picking up a metal one to see if that'll help.

Craig

laserred
09-15-2003, 06:46 PM
I have noticed that since I put a set of nitto drag radials, my clutch response has deminished a little. Before, I could tach up to 3500 or 4000 and dump second and fish tail all over the place, and chirp third. Now it won't chirp second unless I am at a higher rpm level. I still can spin in 2nd, but not near as much. But I think my clutch is worn, and I also think my quadrant is worn too. What are some signs I need to look for? Should I worry about changing my clutch soon, or could I get by with changing cable and quad. assembly only?

tcrews
09-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Clutch position changes (lower to the floor, etc...) would be signs of the clutch quadrant starting to go.

Since you've added Nitto Dragradials (a stickier compound tire than normal street tires) you should have a harder time getting it to spin or chirp the tires. Spinning and chirping the tires is overpower their ability to stick to the pavement.....the nittos are doing their job it sounds like to me.

Hope that helps.

laserred
09-16-2003, 08:05 AM
It Does. Thanks tcrews. However, the stock clutch is still in the car. and it has about 30,000 miles on it. I did take it to the track on the 1/8 mile, and it did just fine. But I think that since then, ( about a month and a 1/2 ago ) it feels like it doesn't have the strength it had before. I guess with the stickyness, it wouldn't. But, I had the tires on it at the track, and ever sense then. I had planned to take them off to conserve them , and replace the z-rated tires. Am I being just too paranoid about it, or do I need more info. I had always heard that when you changed your suspension and got sticky tires, you might feel like you are lacking power, but actully are just hooking up better. I guess I just want this sucker too smoke all the gears for the fun of it :p :D:) :D

tcrews
09-16-2003, 08:17 AM
30,000 miles isn't that much, your stock clutch should still be holding fine unless you've been riding it a lot, especially in stop-n-go traffic.

If you want tire-smoking fun, get rid of the dragradials :) Or.....add a lot of power and then you can abuse the dragradials.

laserred
09-16-2003, 08:40 AM
Sounds cool!!! I think I am still going to change the clutch quad and cable. I want the pedal action to be a little better. As the original post said the pedal engagement feels different. But, I think you are right. Maybe I am not used to the drags. They have only been on for two and 1/2 months. I don't drive it but about three times a week on average. and thats mostly to and from work. My wife lets me park it alot, letting me drive our expedition. Is it wrong to want to soop that thing up? I have already aggrevated my wife by putting flowmasters on that!!!!:rotf:

'96LaserRed
09-16-2003, 10:53 AM
is it good to replace the quadrant, cable, and firewall adjuster...or is it ok to replace just the quadrant? just curious.

tcrews
09-16-2003, 11:09 AM
You can just replace the quadrant if you like. I think the stock cable is better than a lot of the aftermarket ones. Best setup would be stock cable, after market clutch quadrant and aftermarket firewall adjuster. It's nicer/easier to adjust via a firewall adjuster than it is with an adjustable clutch cable. (popping the hood vs. crawling under the car).

I bought all three and ended up selling the cable and keeping the stock one.