-ford racing aluminum shaft
-hotchicks lower control arms
-pro.5 shifter
-3.73 rear ratio
-nitto 555R street tire

tcrews
09-15-2003, 06:57 PM
Let's take a look....

-C&L 80mm maf system (possible gain, possible loss, maybe no effect)

-C&L power inlet pipe (not really able to tell on the dyno)

-accufab T.B (on NA cars....very little)

-Jet chip (possibly no power, maybe even a loss unless it was tuned on the dyno)

-msd coil (no gains)

-msd super conductor wire 8.5 (no gains)

-ford racing short header ceramic coated (8-12 rwhp)

-bbk o\r h-pipe 2 1/2. (10-15 rwhp)

-flowmaster 2 chamber muffler. (no gains)

-ford racing aluminum shaft (no gains)

-hotchicks lower control arms (no gains)

-pro.5 shifter (no gains)

-3.73 rear ratio (may show a slight loss in power)

-nitto 555R street tire (no gains)

So power mods would be:
-C&L 80mm maf system
-C&L power inlet pipe
-accufab T.B
-ford racing short header ceramic coated
-bbk o\r h-pipe 2 1/2.

So if you dyno in the stock range of 260 or so rwhp I'd say a best of 280 maybe a little more.

Your chip could be hurting instead of helping as well as your C&L MAF (or any aftermarket) and the throttle body maybe hurting you as well, it's hard to tell unless you have a dyno pull, do the mods and make another pull or two to compare the changes.

Have you ever dyno'ed the car before? What were the numbers (SAE corrected). Have you ever run the car at the track? What was the trap speed...that can show how much power you are making.

SVT X 2
10-12-2003, 12:58 PM
Run the car at a track (1/4 or 1/8th mile) and you can more accurately get a hp measurment from a calculaor.

Or...dyno it like tom asked.

smashedheadcat
10-12-2003, 02:52 PM
I thought going with a C&L MAF you'd get a little power because it'll lean you out a little. I know Ken's car is an '01 cobra, but he got a +14rwhp gain from the MAF......

tcrews
10-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by smashedheadcat
I thought going with a C&L MAF you'd get a little power because it'll lean you out a little. I know Ken's car is an '01 cobra, but he got a +14rwhp gain from the MAF......

It all depends, what makes power on person A's car make cause a loss of power on person B's car.

If "A" was running rich from the factory (or added mods that made the car run richer) and then added a part that leaned him out he would make more power. If "B" saw that and said "wow, I'll add that piece too and get the same gains, but his car is running a near perfect A/F ratio, then the leaning will cause his engine to detonate and his knock sensors will pull timing resulting in a loss of power.

That's an extreme example but unless you have a dyno chart with A/F, it's hard to tell if something added power or not and in what way it affected your tune.

I used to think A/F was only important to SC guys...but now I know it can make a big difference for NA guys as well, especially if debating on getting chip or bumping the timing, etc....

smashedheadcat
10-13-2003, 11:35 AM
You're right, but I don't think I've ever seen a car off the showroom floor with an ideal a/f ratio. But, here's one trend I noticed. Long tube headers on the cobras richen them up. Is this the case with the shorty's. Badmofo on the board here went all the way down to 10:1 with the addition of long tubes and the H-pipe.