PDA

View Full Version : race gas?

'96LaserRed
09-18-2003, 12:02 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys run race gas when you got to the track. The air is becoming cooler and more dense so i was considering going with a 101 octane on track night. any suggestions?

tcrews
09-18-2003, 03:56 PM
Would hurt your performance more than help it.

Higher octane gas is less powerful than lower octane gas (so to speak). Power is made by your engine and it specifies what type gas it requires to make that power. Higher compression engines need higher octane gas to control the burn of the fuel. In other words....the goal for optimum performance is to run the LOWEST octane gas you can without having detonation/pinging.

To make a gas rated at a higher octane...all they do is add chemicals to reduce it's combustablity (is that a word??) so that it burns slower at a more controllable rate. Higher octane gas is not cleaner, not purer or have any properties that give you more power. If your engine can't make use of it.....you'll lose power by not being able to get the full combustion abilities of the air-fuel mixture in your combustion chamber :) You'll lose HP and lose MPG (if that matters to you).

Once again...the goal for optimum power is to run the LOWEST octane gas you can get away with so and are not getting any detonation/pinging. 92/93 octane is what's needed for the Cobra...

SVT X 2
10-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by tcrews

92/93 octane is what's needed for the Cobra...
Well... I guess I'd say a more accurate statement would be that the Cobra motors are designed to run on premium fuel only.
Some states only get 91 octane rating for their premium fuel.

Here's some more reading for you on the subject 96LaserRed... Clicky (http://www.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm)

'96LaserRed
10-13-2003, 01:36 PM
thanks for the link it was very useful

SVT X 2
10-13-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by '96LaserRed
thanks for the link it was very useful Not a problem. I like getting and giving usefull links like that.
Just today I got a usefull link off the mailing list on the NGK plugs... good stuff! :thumbsup: