PDA

View Full Version : chip???

laserred
09-19-2003, 08:22 PM
I was wondering if anyone can tell me about how much timing advance a custom chip with several bolt-ons added will give. I bought a superchip chip and at the time, I told the guy I talked to what I had on my car, per his asking. at the time I had a bassani x pipe with high flow cats, flowmasters, 373's underdrive pulleys, A. drive shaft, and cold air intake ( fender mount ) and I told him I was running 100 octane( before I knew about octane levels and my engine-thought 93 wasn't good enough) . Since then I have been enlightened about the octane levels for my car, and I have switched to a B. x-pipe without cats. and I have ford MS shortys. Do I need to get another chip and do a dyno test, or can I stick with the current chip. It only came with installation instruct. and I didn't know enough about chips to choose alternative choices. The guy told me it was only good for 12 HP and about seven HP at the r- wheel. It cost me a little under 300$ and I did notice a difference. Can I get more Hp and timming elsewhere or did I make a mistake buying an after market chip without getting tunning.:eek:

tcrews
09-19-2003, 11:53 PM
I don't like ANY mail-order chip. Only a chip tuned specifically for your car while on the dyno monitoring power and Air-fuel is worth spending the money on.

That said...and since you have a chip...take your car to the nearest dyno facility with wide-band metering and make some pulls. Install the chip and make some pulls. See what your A/F is and what power levels you are making.

Every car responds differently to mods so there is no way to tell until you get the car on a dyno with wide-band and see what's going on.

Good luck.

Ken 01-Cobra
09-20-2003, 10:02 AM
If you can hang loose for a bit, there is some new stuff in the pipeline that is absolutely going to be the best thing for our cars since sliced bread when it comes to tuning them.

If you are interested in reading about it, go here:
http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=311

Jerry is well known for his tuning. This will allow you to control the same things he does and will include instructions and help to allow you to tweak without blowing up your engine. It is due out in less than a month.

Hope it helps...

itsrlong
09-20-2003, 12:59 PM
any idea of the costs? I would assume a laptop would be required, but is there anything else needed?

Ken 01-Cobra
09-20-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by itsrlong
any idea of the costs? I would assume a laptop would be required, but is there anything else needed?
You will need a laptop. Cost will be between $600 and $900. There may be an ability to do two Ford vehicles for that price. Obviously, all this is still in the planning stages and nothing is written in stone. More "formal" announcements should be made with the next week or two.

laserred
09-22-2003, 08:08 AM
I have an older model ( about 4 yrs old ) laptop. will that do for this application? And if so, what else will I need other than the laptop? and will it still cost 600 - 900$ even with the lap top? Also an finally, will I need to discard the current aftermarket chip or can I tune it? I know alot of ?s but you got my attention!!:bounce:

Ken 01-Cobra
09-22-2003, 08:41 PM
The aftermarket chip would go away. And yes, that laptop would work as long as it runs Win98+ and has a USB or serial/parallel port.

Look at it this way... if you go somewhere and have a dyno tune, you'll pay anywhere between $300-500 depending on the tuner and chip used, so that price ain't bad to allow you to continue to fine tune your tune whenever you make changes to your setup!

For other questions, check out the threads at www.modulardepot.com as this will be the official board for the "racers" version of the software. Right now, it is the only board where questions are being answered by the designers. :thumbsup:

laserred
09-23-2003, 07:06 PM
So what comes with the setup? Is it software and are there any cables that come with it. You said there is a racers version, does that mean they have not come up with a good street version? I visited the site but didn't see where I needed to go. I am definitely interested!!!;)

Ken 01-Cobra
09-23-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by laserred
So what comes with the setup? Is it software and are there any cables that come with it. You said there is a racers version, does that mean they have not come up with a good street version? I visited the site but didn't see where I needed to go. I am definitely interested!!!;)
It will come with a flasher or a chip burner. The link you need is in my first response. There are also Forums for Pre-Sales Questions, etc. though those are just getting started since the product is not officially released yet.

And no, the Racer's version is the Stage 3 software, where you will have access to everything and it's mother in the EEC. They also have Stage 1 and 2 which could easily be called "Street" versions of the software. The point is, this software will allow you to tune your car to the level you wish to tune it to.

laserred
09-23-2003, 10:02 PM
Thanks Ken. I appreciate the info!!!

Ken 01-Cobra
09-23-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by laserred
Thanks Ken. I appreciate the info!!!
You are welcome. Have fun with the reading. It's worth it. ;)