PDA

View Full Version : Superchargers

97BlackSnake
09-22-2003, 11:29 PM
I've got a question. I've got a 97 cobra daily driver and I'm looking at supercharging it soon. I'm looking at a kenne bell twin screw supercharger and I was wondering if anyone has one that could tell me how they like it or if they recommend a different one.

Thanks for any feedback!

STANGBUM
09-23-2003, 07:36 AM
As you can see in my sig what I choose, and mine is a daily driver also. I have had this set up for close to 2 years and no problems yet (knock on wood):thumbsup:
I guess its just what you want, but maybe others will chime in with their opinions.
How many miles on your 97? I had 33,000 when Vortech was installed.
Once you put S/C in you will prolly need some suspension work:thumbsup:
And I can guarentee you can find the answers you need here.

tcrews
09-23-2003, 08:28 AM
The Kennebell is a very nice unit, though it does have some short falls that I wish they would address. It's too small, has no blow-off valve and doesn't have provisions for an intercooler.

That being said, it'll give you the feeling of a big-block engine under the hood with lots of torque at any rpm. With a stock'ish Cobra and a KB blower, expect about 360-380 rwhp and the same torque. The torque curve will be extremely flat though.....

It's a great street blower if you like that stoplight-stoplight fun. Does well on the track but will lose to the centrifigal blowers 9 out of 10 times.

Maxing the unit out, maxing your exhaust flow, etc...out you'll see a max of about 430-440 rwhp.

I love my Vortech....but people with KB's love their KB's as well.

97BlackSnake
09-23-2003, 11:57 PM
Thanks for your input. I've got a few more questions for you. What kind of RWHP can I expect with a vortech kit on a mostly stock cobra? How much do these kits cost? What are some of the benefits of the Vortech over the Kenne bell other than peak HP?

STANGBUM
09-24-2003, 07:15 AM
My engine is basically stock with the exception of the aftermarket chip. and my installation was a turn key job. Price was around $3400 for kit and 1300 for installation.
I had it dyno tuned and got 401 rwHP, It was tuned to help eliminate detonation and my not so great driving:thumbsup:

redsnake99
09-24-2003, 05:14 PM
I love my Vortech installation!

See: http://www.mustangweekly.com/2001/september/newproducts/np3-09-3rd.asp for a description of the product.

See the club website, member cars section for a look at mine:
http://www.svtcobraclub.com/members/stanfield.htm

97BlackSnake
09-26-2003, 02:24 AM
Thanks again for all your help.

Do any of you know if there is someone here that has the KB? I'd like to talk to someone that has one to get there input.

Also, I'd like to be running mid to low 12's and I was wondering if you guys know what kind of power I'll need to accomplish that.

racinjason89
09-30-2003, 08:43 PM
I have a kenne-bell on my mystic and absolutely love it! You get instant full boost at 2000rpm if you want it. I perfer the cleaner install look of the kenne-bell over the centrificals, but that's just me! I do recommend getting an aftermarket chip and getting the car tuned though! Kenne-bell's chip is a little to aggresive for everyday driving! I only had 15k when I installed it and at about 22k, I found out I had 3 cracked pistons! Hence the importance of a safe tune! The kit ran about $3400 and after a proper tune I have about 415 rwhp through the factory cats! It's a heck of a ride!

97BlackSnake
10-01-2003, 02:17 PM
Thanks a lot!

Do you have any recommendations for what chip to get. Where do I get it? How much?

Thanks again.

97BlackSnake
10-01-2003, 02:30 PM
Also, have you been to the track. If so, what kind of quarter mile times are you getting?

racinjason89
10-01-2003, 06:43 PM
I had Tim at MV Performance tune mine. He used an autologic chip. I ran a consistant 12.1 in cool weather and consistant 12.3's in this heat. This is spinning on drag radials.

97BlackSnake
10-02-2003, 01:08 AM
What other mods do you have?

racinjason89
10-02-2003, 08:38 PM
DSS short block, cold air kit, kenne-bell with 10 psi of boost, 42 psi injectors with a pro-m mass air meter, autologchip, and a 4:10 outback. Oh yeah, eiback drag springs. I'm still running stock heads through the cats, but am thinking about a high flow x-pipe.

97BlackSnake
10-06-2003, 07:35 PM
What do you guys think about steeda sport springs? I can't lower the car to much because I live in Utah and our roads aren't exactly smooth. What other suspension mods do you think I should do?
Thanks

racinjason89
10-06-2003, 08:05 PM
It all depends on what you want! Best springs for a straight line, or around corners, or general all around performance!

97BlackSnake
10-06-2003, 11:41 PM
I'm looking for all around performance.

racinjason89
10-07-2003, 07:52 PM
I had a set of Eibach sportlines in my 85 GT and loved the performance of them. I only put the drag launch kit in the cobra because my days of screaming around a corner at top speeds are over. The 85 handled like a dream and I was still able to get down the track with 1.9- 1.7 60 foots on street tires! They should lower the car a little too!

Svt50Cobra
10-07-2003, 10:37 PM
Eibach springs are what I would tyr I have them on my 95 Cobra and I love them, you might want to give them a call and see what all the have to offer for your setup.

97BlackSnake
10-11-2003, 04:52 AM
Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it!

boostedstang
10-19-2003, 06:51 PM
I am going to buy a 99 cobra and turbo it. Some people on corral said I will have to put a different short block in there to support all the TQ a turbo puts out. One guy a had a 97 cobra and messed up his # 7 piston. He had 470 rwhp 490 lbs/tq. Any thoughts. I see ya are putting down almost 500 HP with no problem.

smashedheadcat
10-19-2003, 08:37 PM
Adding a power adder is going to shorten the life of the engine. These engines just weren't intended for this kind of power. But, adding a poweradder doesn't mean that you need to build a shortblock. But, you have to limit yourself. Not every engine holds up to punishment as much as others do. Take Dave Stanfied's cobra (redsnake99). He's put a ton of miles on his Vortech supercharged 99 cobra. It still has the original shortblock. It's all in the tune. Getting your car on the dyno and tuned by a knowledgable tuner is a must. It's easy to get greedy and add a smaller pulley to the supercharger or cranking up the boost with a turbo. It's easy to do, and most everyone will do it. That's why you read about all these blown engines. Now, remember the first thing I said, it will shorten the life of the engine. But taking the proper precautions and leaving well enough alone when it comes to power, you can enjoy years of high performance without a built shortblock. OR, it'll last you a month or two. :eek:

tcrews
10-20-2003, 08:12 AM
One of the most important things is the tune, however, even with the best tune pushing an engine far beyond it's intended power levels is a risky thing.

You could have an almost perfect engine stock or you could have one that has a semi-weak rod, ring of a small defect in one of the pistons and adding all that extra compression in the cylinder brings out the weakness sooner.

Some have gone thousands of miles (one even pushing 600rwhp on the stock block and hundreds of 1/4mile passes) while others have gone only hundreds of miles before needing a rebuild.

You could turbo your stock engine, keep the boost down and you could be fine for years. Once the engine does let go, get a nice rebuild and then crank up the boost.