PDA

View Full Version : Bad news on new motor.

Carl G
09-26-2003, 03:04 PM
SVT inspector busted the black 03 cobra. They want warranty the engine, and what is worse is that it is possible spun bearing and that is reason for low oil pressure in back cylinder. They want $6700 for new long block plus my old engine. I started to let them do that then they tell se that SVT doesnt have any new motors at this time and does not know when they will get some. Since I plan to re-install all my bolt ons back anyway, I think the game plan is to repair what I have. Lone Star said they want do it and that they would send my motor back to SVT and have them repair. I dont think I would get my $6700 worth. So here's my problem, I need advice on who to take this motor to and not get ripped off. Can you guys offer some help in this matter. I have had some names like Bumbera Performance off Hwy 6. Since the heads are in good shape and there is no scarring in the cylinder or shavings I think this is the best plan of action. Need help!!!!!!!!!! Oh also the hood will be painted next week by thursday.

:Picked up car yesterday from Lone star and the hood was painted and looks good at this point. Was driving car back hoemand on the tollway and car begins to smoke from under car while wainting in traffic. Also the engine temp started to climb almost to the line . I though maybe they had spilled some oil on the manifiold and that was the smoking cause, but could not figure out temp problem. Finally got car home and it still smoked from under the driver side. Called Lone Star and tole them the problem. They seem to think it could be spilled oil also. they wer concerned about the temp problem. I said that Iwould check in the morning to see if the car still smoked and check the temp. Checked today and the temp did not move off of cold and the car still smoled. Looked under the car and found a puddle of oil on the driver side at the back of the motor. Called the dealership and they said not to move car and they would tow back on Monday and see what the problem is. It just continues on!

johnbasf
09-26-2003, 03:23 PM
That is BS!!! What was the reason for no warranty??? I would raise mortal hell before I spent a dime. That really SUCKS!!!! The amazing thing is FORD knows they have problems with the '03 motors!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Carl G
09-26-2003, 03:28 PM
The reason for no warranty is being discussed.

cobrapace94
09-26-2003, 03:58 PM
Whoa Carl, that really sux, big time....
On who to get to do the rebuild, you might want to call and\or visit the shops around town, like Houston Performance, Slatters Mustang (281-446-9491), Strickly performance, House of Speed & RSI to name a few. Talk to them, check out the shops, get prices and try and to see if they know anything about 03 mod motors out of Cobras.
Is there any research on making the oiling issues better, high volume oil pump. What about strengthning the bottem end with a girdle or studs? Just some thoughts.
Did Ford prove the mods caused the oil starvation problem that spun the bearing. I "thought" that they had to prove the mod caused the failure. Or is it "you" have to prove it did not? Does that mean, your car has lost the entire warrenty.

Twice Bitten
09-26-2003, 05:08 PM
That is BS.Spend several hundred on an attorney and make SVT (ford) prove that the mods caused the problem. An attorney will make them roll over with their standard answere "the mods caused the failure." The svt inspector is nothing more than an insurance adjuster, it is fords first line of defense, usually they are pretty convincing to most people. In the summer issue of SVTOA magazine, there is an article covering mods and warranty issues. Take the fight to ford and make them prove it caused the failure. A lettter from an attorney and a meeting with the svt rep will go a long way to resolve this issue in your favor.
Been there,done that!!!:thumbsup: :bs:
If you need any help let me know.
Larry

johnbasf
09-26-2003, 07:08 PM
I'm with Larry.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Fight for what is right. The Mod Motors HAVE an oiling problem. Don't give up without a fight Carl.

Firme
09-26-2003, 08:47 PM
I have to agree with everyone here Carl, a chip and a pulley should not have cause that problem.. so I would take the lawyer route before anything... it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than the $6700. Get in touch with Larry, cause he knows "low people in high places" as he put it once :rotf:

Carl G
09-26-2003, 09:02 PM
I agree. I have sent e-mails to Larry for Advice and I plan to fight . Did you get my e-mail? Also hood is being painted next week but I sure now that I want be able to show car at Joe Myers
in October. So I available for free help, Let me know what you need.

Twice Bitten
09-26-2003, 09:04 PM
Any input from stock whenI got?????????????????????????????????:mad: :D :starwars:

Firme
09-26-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Carl G
Did you get my e-mail?

yes.... but i was a little confused, can you either email me or PM me details?

Thanks,
Edmond

Andy M
09-26-2003, 09:41 PM
Carl,

Man, that sux!!! Please keep us posted on this?....

Carl G
09-26-2003, 09:47 PM
Thanks Andy, I'll keep you posted.

Al C
09-27-2003, 01:06 AM
Carl,

From what you have posted now and before about your engine tick it sounds like you could be getting a line of BS from Lone Star Ford. :bs:

Have they given you anything in writing of which engine parts are damaged and how your aftermarket parts caused the damage? :doubt:

When you first took it in for the tick Lone Star told you the factory had left out a oil restrictor that maintains the correct oil pressure to insure there is enough oil on top at the back cylinder. In other words they thought the tick tick tick tick at idle was coming from the head. (we all thought it was coming from the rear of the left head that Saturday afternoon at TWS) You asked Lone Star if there was any internal engine damage and they told you no.

This oil pressure explanation sounded bassackwards to me so I looked up the oil flow schematic in my 1998 Ford shop manual. The oil to the left head comes off the main crankshaft oil galley at the front of the engine and goes through the restrictors to REDUCE oil pressure to the head. If the head did not have the restrictor it would have TOO much oil on top, not too little. :rolleyes:

I know it may be hard to understand without a picture but here is exactly what the shop manual has to say about oil feed to the heads: The left cylinder head is fed from a drilling into the supply passage feeding the main gallery at the front of the cylinder block. The right cylinder head is fed from a drilling into the rear of the main gallery. Main gallery pressure is reduced as it enters the cylinder head galleries through serviceable orifices located at the upper part of the feed passages. It is this reduced pressure in the cylinder head galleries which feeds the camshaft journals, the valve tappets and the primary and secondary timing chain tensioners.

After Lone Star put the new oil restrictor in and there was no improvement in the tick tick tick tick they called SVT. SVT recommended a replacement head. Lone Star told SVT it wasn’t the heads but the engine was bad – But Lone Star told you earlier there was no internal damage???? :confused: Lone Star then told you that SVT was sending a new engine and it would be replaced under warranty. :yup:

Now Lone Star is now saying there are no 2003 COBRA engines available AND the SVT inspector has busted your engine because of aftermarket parts.
_____When is Job 1 for the 2004 COBRA? I would think Ford would be building engines now for the 2004s – maybe they haven’t started yet?
_____Again they should give you something in writing specifically why you warranty is denied à what is damaged and how it was caused by your chip and pulley.

The deal about the spun bearing (crank?) and low pressure on the back cylinder (head?) doesn’t make sense to me. Usually when you have excessively worn or badly spun main bearings you have low oil pressure at ALL points in the engine – not just at one cylinder. The left head (driver’s) is the first oil passage downstream of the oil pump & filter at the front of the engine. If the left head has low pressure then the right (passenger) head would have low oil pressure too. If the bad spun crank bearing was at the rear of the engine it could be possible that only the passenger side head would have low oil pressure since the feed to that head is near the rear main bearing.

Finally as a new car owner that is under warranty you have rights as per the Federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. However, exercising your rights may require a lawyer $$$$$$ and can be time consuming. Fortunately there are other steps that can be taken outside of the dealer's management with the auto manufacturer directly ---> http://www.blueovalnews.com/contacts/ford.htm For a write-up on Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (Federal Warranty law) and other steps to obtain warranty service try this link: http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8124

Give em Hell Carl! :blast:

Paying them $6,700 for something you already paid for is BS! :bs:

PS

Edmond posted a link to this ealier - the description sure does fit the way your engine sounded that day at TWS:

BlueOvalNews: 2003 Mustang Cobras Have Defective Engine Cylinder Heads - 29 July 03 – By Robert Lane - According to a Ford Motor Company memo, 2003 Ford Mustang Cobras may have defective engine cylinder heads. The memo noted that the Cobras may exhibit an unusual engine noise that is present at all temperature ranges during engine idle. The memo also states that the noise may be due to bad cylinder head valve guides in the left hand cylinder head. The noise may be heard at the rear of the left hand cylinder head, thought the left side exhaust or at the left front wheel of the vehicle. If your 2003 Cobra Mustang exhibits this condition, Ford may replace the cylinder head and cam assembly. The replacement cylinder head part number is: 3R2Z-6049-GA. Owners are advised to have their vehicles inspected before the warranty period expires. This is considered a "silent recall" where upon Ford may NOT notify owners of this condition. Owners should contact Pat Hoye PHoye@Ford.com (313) 248-8336 at Ford World Headquarters or for a Ford executive assigned to your area ---> http://www.blueovalnews.com/contacts/ford.htm

Twice Bitten
09-27-2003, 09:20 AM
The diff between '03 and '04 engines will be minimul.
They may out of '03 engines, but they have plenty of '04 engines. The assembly line is running for the '04 auto's as we speak. After reading what Al posted, I am sure you are getting a line of BS:bs: 1 you have a misdiagnosed problem from Lone Star. 2 the burden of proof of the failure, of what caused the problem, is up to Ford. Keep all of your documents from everyone, and get all other info in writing from Lone Star and SVt. Someone owes you a new engine, either Svt or Lone Star. The only reason I would not pursue this would be to have the fastest Cobra in town:thumbsup: Give a call later when you get a chance, I san tell you what to expect from them.
Larry

Carl G
09-27-2003, 09:55 AM
Great info Al, I printed out the "Enjoy The Drive" warranty issue procedures to follow and will start there. I plan to fight this problem. Thanks for your help, if you have any other advise please let me know.:mad:

Firme
09-27-2003, 10:55 AM
Dang Al, you are one thorough S.O.B :) I'm glad you post here :thumbsup: good stuff :bounce:

03 cobra toy
09-27-2003, 09:10 PM
That SUCKS ! Monday I will call the Fixed Op Manager who is over all the Sonic/Lone Star Ford Service Departments and have him call the Service Manager to find out the what's real deal! Most Service Advisors don't know what the hell is going on.....Carl whats your last name? Send me a PM

Al C
09-28-2003, 08:58 PM
Thxk Edmond :D - just trying to help Carl out - it really sux to pay that much for a new car and then to have to fight for your warranty. :mad: Especially when it happens to someone who baby's their car. I have seen other 03's getting beat on at the track driven by leadfoots with more boost without any engine problems. :eek:

Carl G
09-28-2003, 10:06 PM
Hey Al,

I plan to go to th dealership tomorrow to try to get a copy of the report for the failure. Hopefully they will be able to tell me something. When I get that I will let you know what it says and maybe you can shed some light on what it means. Also I will contact the attorney that I have been given and get his advise on what to do and how to proceed. I will keep you up todate. Thanks for all you help and advice.

johnbasf
09-28-2003, 10:52 PM
Stay on their a** Carl.:mad: :mad:

Carl G
09-29-2003, 07:25 AM
I plan to do just that. I am not going to roll over for them and make it easy. Round two is today.

Mephisto
09-29-2003, 09:54 AM
Give um hell Carl !

Mystic_Cobra
09-29-2003, 10:26 AM
Just wanted to say, "let this be a lesson to everyone." Take the mods back off BEFORE you take your car with an engine problem back to a dealer.

Is there still a possibility that you could pull the mods and go to another dealer?

Dealers are a pain in the a$$!

Firme
09-29-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Mystic_Cobra
Just wanted to say, "let this be a lesson to everyone." Take the mods back off BEFORE you take your car with an engine problem back to a dealer.

Is there still a possibility that you could pull the mods and go to another dealer?

Dealers are a pain in the a$$!

Since legal action is a possibility here, as usuall I ask that the situation not be overanalized online as to not mess up anything for Carl....

having said that, IN GENERAL there are certain mods that evern if you take them off, they can tell you did them. IE: chip where you have to scrap the PCM to slid them on, SC pulley which has a marking that lets them know if you changed it, injector wires being spliced, and the list goes on... I have even seen them use the "well the scars on your pully bolts are new so you must have had pully's on there and swapped them before bringing it in". So,Just because the mod isn't on the car, doesn't mean there isn't tell tale signs that modifications were made, and someone getting warranty voided for mods doesn't mean they didn't take the mods off already, but can be due to the assumption.

Al C
09-30-2003, 11:42 PM
Kar Kraft has new 2003 COBRA engines for only $12,495 :eek:

http://karkraft.com/engines.htm

Carl G
10-01-2003, 08:56 AM
Hey Guys, where can I find an article on the silent recall for the head problems on the 03 cobra motors. I need the number of that technical service bulletin.

johnbasf
10-01-2003, 10:15 AM
http://www.blueovalnews.com/2003/powertrain/4.6l.cobracylhead.072903.htm

Carl G
10-01-2003, 10:09 PM
Ok everyone here is where we are today. Had meeting with Lone Star Service Manager and he gave me a form called "Customer Review Request." He said fill out and turn into there customer service person and they would respond. Talked to Ford Customer Relation today and they would look at what they had on file with a engineer and make a recommendation which would be final unless they felt it needed to go to the Dispute Seattlement Board. They called back and said they were mailing out forms for the Dispute Seattlement Board and that the dealership would be in touch within two days. I guess they could not find what was wrong with the motor like I had been telling them all along. Where this will go who knows! I still plan to meet with attorney next week to discuss options. What SVT did by denying claim just on the basis that I had after market mods on was illegal in itself. Anyway we shall see where this goes. David did you have any luck with your guy that you were going to contact? Let me know by PM.

johnbasf
11-14-2003, 07:30 PM
Carl, how did you make out?? You can PM or e-mail me if you don't want to answer here.

Carl G
11-14-2003, 10:36 PM
Hi John, I have turned over paperwork to my attorney. His first letter was to the dealership and they responded with there usual. Another letter goes to Ford next week. If nothing happens then we file in court. I plan to fight this until I get them to pove that the parts caused the damage which I dont think they can. If you have any info from any other forums where 03 have engine problems I would appreciate the heads up. I will have that Black 03 on the road one way or the other.

johnbasf
11-14-2003, 10:49 PM
All this time and you still haven't driven the car???:mad: :mad:

Carl G
11-15-2003, 10:15 AM
Yea, It is starting to wear on me some. Sometime I think that I should just go get if repaired at a good race shop so I can drive the cobra. Hopefully this want last very much longer. It depends on what Ford does when they get the letters from the attorney.:doubt: The thing that makes me mad is how they treat you and would not attemp to find out what is wrong with the motor. That is the real burn with me:mad: :mad: Hopefully if we get this resolved maybe it will help someone else in how to deal with these jerks.

03RedCobra
11-26-2003, 12:16 AM
I tell you what......if I have another '03 Engine that blows up, and I've already had one blow that was completely stock (blown head-gasket supposedly), I will just go with another engine myself. This Cobra engine seems nice, but dang, it's had alot of problems.

spittincobra01
11-26-2003, 07:57 PM
hmmmmm, this is all very interesting. Good luck in this matter! Ford has big lawyers on payroll, who have nothing better to do than squeeze the little guy. I have heard of one other 03 having a spun bearing. I'll try to remember who it was and see if they can help you out at all.

Carl G
11-27-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by spittincobra01
hmmmmm, this is all very interesting. Good luck in this matter! Ford has big lawyers on payroll, who have nothing better to do than squeeze the little guy. I have heard of one other 03 having a spun bearing. I'll try to remember who it was and see if they can help you out at all.

Any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I will turn it over to the attorney. Thanks:thumbsup:

Twice Bitten
11-27-2003, 10:45 PM
Ford also has a large staff of accountants who crunch numbers, they watch over the lawyers. The lawyers and accountants may be in bed together, but when it comes to financial dealings, you know who wears the pants!!!:thumbsup:

Twice Bitten
12-13-2003, 10:43 PM
Hey Carl, I know you liked what you saw today with my car, but before you jump off the same cliff I did, you might like to know about another '03 with a knock. It only has 800 miles on it! Send me an email or call me and I will give details. Hopefully it is something you can use :thumbsup:

Carl G
12-15-2003, 06:24 PM
Well guys after dyno day that was the final straw. Car is at Nathaniels Auto Performance. Tear down starts tomorrow. Will have answer on thursday as to what is the problem. After that will go with beefed up internals to handle the higher boost and HP. Looking at long tube headers since they will have motor out and on the stand. There is to many events coming up that I dont want to miss. Cant afford KB at this time but will look at some HP increases. Maybe around 500 rw when finished. Will be ready for the Austin cruise for sure.

03 cobra toy
12-15-2003, 06:50 PM
Well guys after dyno day that was the final straw. Car is at Nathaniels Auto Performance. Tear down starts tomorrow. Will have answer on thursday as to what is the problem. After that will go with beefed up internals to handle the higher boost and HP. Looking at long tube headers since they will have motor out and on the stand. There is to many events coming up that I dont want to miss. Cant afford KB at this time but will look at some HP increases. Maybe around 500 rw when finished. Will be ready for the Austin cruise for sure.

Hey Carl I would look into getting a ported SC $575 if you want to get 500 rw :thumbsup:

johnbasf
12-15-2003, 07:30 PM

Document everything and go after them!! Don't give up the fight. :thumbsup:

Carl G
12-15-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by johnbasf
Document everything and go after them!! Don't give up the fight. :thumbsup:

The owner of the race shop is going to take pictures of tear down and put them on a cd and give me his opinion in writing. We will see what the cause is then decide. I have not informed the attorney as of yet. See what he come back with.

johnbasf
12-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Good luck!!:thumbsup:

Carl G
01-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Yea, the car is on the rack and being torn down today!!!!!!!!Clutch plate is worn very badly, needs replacing. Not surprised on that. Engine will be out tomorrow and should know the answer to the mystery on wednesday. Going for 550 rwhp when finished. Deadline is end of February.

Carl G
01-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Yea, the car is on the rack and being torn down today!!!!!!!!Clutch plate is worn very badly, needs replacing. Not surprised on that. Engine will be out tomorrow and should know the answer to the mystery on wednesday. Going for 550 rwhp when finished. Deadline is end of February.

Well the wait is over and the answer is? Bad detonation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Running to lean seems to be the preliminary problem.Three cylinders are affected with scoring. Crank seems to be in good shape and the connecting rods are fine. Will have the rest of the story on Saturday at lunch. Give you the rest of the details then. :mad:

03 cobra toy
01-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Well the wait is over and the answer is? Bad detonation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Running to lean seems to be the preliminary problem.Three cylinders are affected with scoring. Crank seems to be in good shape and the connecting rods are fine. Will have the rest of the story on Saturday at lunch. Give you the rest of the details then. :mad:

:( That sucks......

Andy M
01-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Carl,

who is doing the work? a Ford dealership?... just wondering?

keep us posted man....

Carl G
01-08-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Andy M
Carl,

who is doing the work? a Ford dealership?... just wondering?

keep us posted man....

The car is at Nathanials Performance on Harwin.

Carl G
01-10-2004, 05:50 PM
Went to Nathanials to discuss what we wre going to do with the motor. The two middle pistons on the passenger side were scored pretty badly and the back piston was starting to show wear. The bearings were starting to show some wear also. Rings on the two middle pistons were stuck. To much heat caused by leaning out at the higher rpm's. Also the pistons showed discoloration from bad detonation. Basically this was caused by the chip that was installed. Bad program. Lesson to be learned from all of this. Make sure you get complete dyno tune after installing the after market chips. Now for rebuild:::

New and better pistons, Larry's new cam, port and polish,better rings,new bearings, new oil pump, new heat exchanger for blower,BBK long tube headers, cold air induction, better chip and complete dyno tune, four different guages, new and better clutch plate and last, new short throw shifter. Blower is in good condition and the crank is good, might have to go over size on the cylinder wall if they are scored from the piston but that could be a good thing.

We are going to build stronger internal parts for future Kenny Bell, but pocket book cant stretch that far right now. I have a lot of confidence in Nathanials ability to pull this off especially after the great job they did with Larry's. Still looking at the end of February for completion.

97CasperCobra
01-10-2004, 07:16 PM
Sorry to hear it was the chip that caused this Carl. Hope it's on the road soon.....looking for a bigger group going to Austin this year and stopping in Roundtop for some German food. :thumbsup:

Firme
01-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Carl, looks like progress is being made. By the sounds of it, you engine will be one solid brute force that can take a beating. Hope it all comes together the way you want it :thumbsup:

Carl G
01-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Here is the latest1/24/04 BBK Headers have arrived and we should get the new pistons next week. Block and crank are good to go. Heads will get P&P next week. Have decided to get custom radiator to help cool motor. Swap with Larrrys new cam should take place next week. Things are starting to take shape. Going with better clutch plate and short throw shifter. Aiming for 550 rwhp.

03 cobra toy
01-25-2004, 03:03 PM
Have decided to get custom radiator to help cool motor.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Levi
01-26-2004, 01:43 PM
We keep adding things to your already long list of mods and here is another one. Don't forget to replace the oil pan with the one like David has. Just like with the radiator, the bigger the better.

coleman
02-10-2004, 01:05 AM
i wish i had been keeping up with this thread ... i'm at the tail end of a rebuild myself.

Carl G
02-10-2004, 08:23 AM
Hey Coleman, What are you doing to your 03? All the parts for the motor are in. Just putting it back together now. The heads should be ready with the polishing and the cam swap later this week. The only thing not finalized is the tuning. What chip ? Trying to get in touch with Jerry the super tuner from Super chips to see when he is going to be in the area.

olchakla
02-10-2004, 09:31 AM
I have fallen down the same hole. My engine went out due to a suspected spun rod bearing.

Due the exhibit of various upgrades I have, brakes, exhaust, boost gauge, throttle body, clutch. The dealer doesn't want to let it go through warranty else I would have my warranty voided and loose out totally. They said that as it states in the warranty that racing voids the warranty. Well I am thinking of emailing Thomas A. Scarpello, Marketing and Sales Manager
Ford Special Vehicle Team who I happen to meet at the SVTOA On Track event at Hallet last year. So the preparations I performed on the car to make it successfull to attend and participate in the "DRIVING EVENTS" that Ford sponsors, void the warranty due to a oil starvation failure that caused the rod bearing to go?

I drive 85 miles to attend the Drivers Edge event at MSR. At the gas station I filled up at I started to hear a engine ticking noise when I started it up again. Dip stick was bone dry and I ended up having to fill 3 quarts. Ticking started to subside and 2 hours later when my group was running the engine wasn't making any noise so I decided to run it. Had to take things slow since the rear end had some excessive slack in it and was causing a clunk noise, so I wasn't getting into it hard. First session with the instructor in blue group, white flag and going the last lap, engine noise surfaced and I cruised back to the parking lot and had it towed to the dealer.

Getting to be a habit now. The event that this club held at TWS is when my clutch failed for the third time and had to get towed to the dealer and then run the 6cyl auto mustang the second day. Last Sunday I ended up running a 6 cyl auto taraus the second day so I would get my moneys worth.

If all the others that have had the engine failures and denied warranty coverage could PM or email me, I would really appreciate it. I would like to see what your outcomes were and what legal actions I may consider. Unfortunately the lawyers eat up a chunk of the settlement, if there is one. So maybe this could work as a class action suit.

coleman
02-10-2004, 10:10 AM
CarlG, adding/replacing:

CHP stoker shortblock w/ 310 cu in., 5.1L
L&M Engined stage 1 cams & solid-lifters
Updated heads
Focus Fuel Pumps w/ 55# injectors
Hooker LTs (Jet-Hot 2000)
Canton RR oil pan & Accusump system
D&D Motorsport K-Member & A-Arms
Gordsford H/E w/ fans
Moving batter to trunk

i already have

Kenne Bell @ 15#
3.73 gears
hardened half-shafts
QMP 3" exhaust
MM Coilovers
Kenny Brown upper & lower IRS control arms

coleman
02-10-2004, 10:12 AM
olchakla, that was not a racing event. you had an instructor in the car. it was a driving lesson/class/session.

what about getting your auto insurance to cover the failure?

Carl G
02-10-2004, 12:14 PM
I can only say that ford takes a hard stand on modifications. My problems were caused by a chip that was not dyno tuned and it leaned out the cylinders at TWS in August. Lesson learned from this is make sure you get a good dyno on these preset chips. The good new is that the motor will be stronger after I am finished.

olchakla
02-10-2004, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't go with a mail order chip and had one dyno tuned. Looks like we both have some bad luck at these track events. My clutch went for the third time when I ran in the same TWS event you were at in August.

Carl G
02-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by olchakla
I wouldn't go with a mail order chip and had one dyno tuned. Looks like we both have some bad luck at these track events. My clutch went for the third time when I ran in the same TWS event you were at in August.

Just got back from Nathanials who is building the motor. We are going with a larger Canton oil pan. just one more safeguard. I am getting a better clutch, 10,000 miles and the factory clutch is pretty much shot. What color is your Cobra? I am trying to remember your car.

coleman
02-10-2004, 04:07 PM
olchakla's is a silver '03 cobra with the '00R wing.

mine is a yellow coupe & sounds like a jet plane when i do a fly-by :)

Firme
02-10-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by coleman
olchakla's is a silver '03 cobra with the '00R wing.

mine is a yellow coupe & sounds like a jet plane when i do a fly-by :)

man, i wish I would have gotten a sound clip of that.... the first time you got on it, I kid you not, the whole paddocks stoped and turned and heads just followed the yellow blur across the front straight... http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/imgs/smilies/eek5.gif

coleman
02-10-2004, 10:50 PM
try this one:

http://www.CobraTerminator.com/public/2003/08/24/Coleman_showing_off_at_TWS_8-23-03.wmv
right click ... save as (please)

Firme
02-10-2004, 11:23 PM
damn... thats the noise:thumbsup:

Levi
02-11-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Firme
damn... thats the noise:thumbsup:

Yep thats the sound. It was funny when everyone turned and looked. Whats that,,,,,,,,,,,,ssssssssssssssswwwwwwwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

:thumbsup:

coleman
02-11-2004, 10:45 AM
it'll be bigger, badder, & louder this time!

see sig ... engine goes in today :) & i'll be terrorizing the DFW area shortly

Firme
02-11-2004, 11:41 AM

CHP: 310 stroker

:drool:

damn...you must get us numbers...:eek:

coleman
02-11-2004, 03:30 PM
will do :thumbsup:

Andy M
02-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Just got back from Nathanials who is building the motor. We are going with a larger Canton oil pan. just one more safeguard. I am getting a better clutch, 10,000 miles and the factory clutch is pretty much shot. What color is your Cobra? I am trying to remember your car. Carl,

Call Bill at Apex Motorsports in CA... tell him you want a dual friction kevlar racing clutch. This is what I have in my car... this thing will stand up to a nuclear attack!! A great clutch! it ain't cheap, but it WILL last!!

Carl G
02-11-2004, 09:05 PM

I remember now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yea I cant wait to get my motor back in the car also. Looks like end of month now. But it will be worth it.

Carl G
02-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Andy M
Carl,

Call Bill at Apex Motorsports in CA... tell him you want a dual friction kevlar racing clutch. This is what I have in my car... this thing will stand up to a nuclear attack!! A great clutch! it ain't cheap, but it WILL last!! I will check out the cost. May have to wait if its to expensive. This has been some project, but a great learning experience.

Andy M
02-12-2004, 06:56 AM
Carl,

If I remember correctly, it costs around $400-500. certainly a bit more than others out there, but trust me man - it is the best there is - PERIOD!! Same exact clutch which comes on a Viper! Enough said!!

97CasperCobra
02-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Carl, Spec makes some pretty good clutches as well. They aren't that expensive and well recommended. I'd suggest going with a Stage 3 clutch as you're running some high hp.

Carl G
02-27-2004, 06:27 PM
Well here's the latest everyone, Larrys new cams are in his 03 I saw them today on his car. That means we are ready to rock and roll on the black 03. Got a firm commitment to have car ready to go two weeks from today. Saw the new guages going in today they look sweet. . Short block with the JE pistons look really good. Engine will go in car mid next week then it just putting everything back together. Need to address the clutch issue.Want be long now. Cant believe it been since August.

coleman
02-29-2004, 12:31 AM
well, i've had my car back for a little over one week & my results are disappointing so far ... 545/545 @ 15#.
fyi, i had 542/505 @ 15# before...
i'm trying to determine what's wrong.

Firme
02-29-2004, 12:58 AM
well, i've had my car back for a little over one week & my results are disappointing so far ... 545/545 @ 15#.
fyi, i had 542/505 @ 15# before...
i'm trying to determine what's wrong.

that sucks Coleman... who tuned it? dude you should come down when Jerry W. from superchip/SCT comes down.. the guy is amazing. Talk to Larry (TwiceBitten) about him

coleman
02-29-2004, 01:12 AM
i had a very competant (read expensive :) ) tuner work on my car over here.
i think something is wrong with either the solid-lifters and/or cams. ... or another exhaust leak maybe?
i didn't do any of the work myself so i have no clue where to begin.

can the cams be a few degrees off?
i doubt the shop re-adjusted the lifters after running the engine...

Carl G
02-29-2004, 11:05 AM
I would think you should be pulling more pounds of boost with the KB. We are aiming for 14# with the Eaton when we dyno. Hope to get 550 RWHP which we think is possible with the setup we are going with. Iwill let you know after we dyno. Coleman you might want to give the guys I am having the work done. Nathanials Auto performance. 713-780-8666.They did Larrys KB and cams both new sets. Just a thought.

Twice Bitten
03-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Hey Coleman, read the post about Jerry the Supertuner, especially the third paragragh about MAF saturation. Your tuner should have picked up on this if it was a problem though, even the people who sold you the stroker should have pointed out the potential for saturation. Another problem could be belt slippage, it cost me over 50 hp. As for timing being an issue, the tuner should have picked up that if it was a problem. Sparkplugs could be a source of some power loss. An improper seal of the K. Belle unit could cause a lot of power loss. I would not be worried about your lifters causing any problems, by the way the heads are engineered. Check your maf for the problem first, then do whatever it Takes to get your car tuned by Chris Johnson or Jerry Wrobelski of superchips. Let them reflash your computer, they are the best in the country, no need for a chip anymore!!! I could have save a lot of money by waiting on Jerry to come to Texas. I would drive 8 hours to let him tune my car again. He did a better job in 4 pulls with my car than did the company who boasts of the "worlds quickest cobra" did in 3 days with my car, and they were damn good, but no comparison.:thumbsup:

coleman
03-04-2004, 02:06 AM
i'm trying to rectify all the issues...
loose belt ... got shreaded recently
orphan, unplugged vaccuum line found two days ago!
MAF pegs @ 5500 & tuner dumps fuel at that point to help ensure safety.

i do have a wbO2 to help me with ensuring that the car is still safe.

Firme
03-04-2004, 08:19 AM

MAF pegs @ 5500 & tuner dumps fuel at that point to help ensure safety.

i do have a wbO2 to help me with ensuring that the car is still safe.

Coleman, read this post http://www.svtcobraclub.com/svtbbs2/showthread.php?threadid=5909

it addresses the problems with doing this

olchakla
03-04-2004, 11:35 AM
any comments on tuning by Houston Porformance?

Firme
03-04-2004, 12:49 PM

I think David (03cobratoy) got his tune there and he asked for a nice conservative tune and thats what he got :thumbsup: .

The guys Twice Bitten mentioned are in a whole different league than any shop I've seen though..

Carl G
03-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Hey guys, went by nathanials today and believe it or not the heads and cam were on the block. The rebuild has actually begun.They might come in tomorrow and actually put the motor back in the car. We are still aiming for next Friday. Cross my fingers. Those new cams sure look sweet plus the porting turned out really well. It is amazing how big those heads make that block look once they are back on and you can rotate and look from different angles. I will be glad when we can strike this thread. will see what progress is made on Tuesday.

03 cobra toy
03-07-2004, 09:26 AM

They did a good job with my tune....

Twice Bitten
03-07-2004, 10:21 PM
:D I took Andy and Shane for a ride in the sl'03 tonight, the new cams are impressive. to say the least. For those who have heard the car before, there is no comparison. It is really loud during exceleration. What's the saying, bigger and badder :thumbsup: I need Jerry the super tuner to work his magic once again. I will wait for Jerry to come down, or I will trailer the car to him. HE IS ONE OF THE BEST TUNERS IN THE US, PERIOD. Worth the wait! Nathaniels adjusted the shocks all the way around, much less wheel hop than before, softer ride, better launches:D Can't wait for the rolbar, then a trip to HRP. Anyone have a set of slicks I can borrow? Now you can call the car the "beast":grinangel :burnout: :flash:

Twice Bitten
03-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Also had the Apten performance drivers side head coolant fix added will the car was at Nathaniels. Drove the car hard tonight, the water temp never got over 175 degrees. It also takes a little longer to get to its normal operating temp:thumbsup: This upgrade is a must for you guys doing open track with your '03 cobras.:bounce:

Carl G
03-08-2004, 08:59 PM
Motor is in the Black 03. Needs all the rest of the goodies. Plan is to crank it up on Thursday.

Carl G
03-10-2004, 06:00 PM
Motor is in the Black 03. Needs all the rest of the goodies. Plan is to crank it up on Thursday.

Fuel rail and injectors were going in this morning, Eaton should be on this afternoon. Headers are on, look good. Start up is pushed back to Friday. May try to Dyno on the weekend.

johnbasf
03-10-2004, 06:42 PM
Good luck Carl!!!

Andy M
03-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Twice Bitten
:D I took Andy and Shane for a ride in the sl'03 tonight, the new cams are impressive. to say the least. For those who have heard the car before, there is no comparison. It is really loud during exceleration. What's the saying, bigger and badder :thumbsup: I need Jerry the super tuner to work his magic once again. I will wait for Jerry to come down, or I will trailer the car to him. HE IS ONE OF THE BEST TUNERS IN THE US, PERIOD. Worth the wait! Nathaniels adjusted the shocks all the way around, much less wheel hop than before, softer ride, better launches:D Can't wait for the rolbar, then a trip to HRP. Anyone have a set of slicks I can borrow? Now you can call the car the "beast":grinangel :burnout: :flash: I like Franken-stang better!!;) :D

Twice Bitten
03-10-2004, 09:14 PM
I can live with "Franken-stang":thumbsup: It is one mean grocery getter :D

Andy M
03-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Twice Bitten
I can live with "Franken-stang":thumbsup: It is one mean grocery getter :D LOL!! just be careful where you put the eggs for the trip home?.... :( :rolleyes: ;)

Twice Bitten
03-10-2004, 09:26 PM
I will not put the eggs on the dash board for sure!:rotf:

Carl G
03-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Well went by Nathanials today. Blower is on, clutch is in as well as trany. Exhaust is all hooked up. Little things left todo. Guages need to be added, heat exchanger bolted on. They plan to start car Monday, dyno early next week. Getting real close now.

Firme
03-12-2004, 05:57 PM
sweet Carl, I can't wait to see the little beast again :spimpin:

Carl G
03-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Well I listen to that sweet sound of the new motor today with out a knock. It sounds bad ass. Goes to Dyno tomorrow. They have done a great job putting this motor back together. Maybe we should call this the "Bride of Franken-Stang" :) Hope the dyno goes well and we get the HP we expect. Looking to pick car up Friday :thumbsup:

Andy M
03-17-2004, 08:06 PM
Carl,

I don't know how you waited so long man?... :(

Glad you will be getting back your pet snake soon!! Keep us posted on the dyno numbers as well as how it goes? :thumbsup:

Twice Bitten
03-17-2004, 08:07 PM
Can't wait to see my car's wife :D :wildguy:

Firme
03-17-2004, 09:22 PM
does that make my car the grey headed step child? :doubt:

We need to get some good video footage of them beast's and start a sub culture of SCC, called "da Cammers" or something... ok so who's next on the lopey list?

Levi
03-18-2004, 09:49 AM
You all are Pirates of the Gulf cruiseing in your Franken-Stangs.

John Chingasos
03-18-2004, 12:15 PM
does that make my car the grey headed step child? :doubt:

We need to get some good video footage of them beast's and start a sub culture of SCC, called "da Cammers" or something... ok so who's next on the lopey list?

I thought we agreed you were the 2004 V-6 Clone/ or sleeper :D :D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;) ;)

Firme
03-18-2004, 12:28 PM
I thought we agreed you were the 2004 V-6 Clone/ or sleeper :D :D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;) ;)

clone :scratch: I thought I had a V6-Cobra :doh2:

Carl G
03-19-2004, 07:54 AM
This will probably be the last post on this thread. It's dyno day for the black 03. Will go and watch and let everyone know the outcome.

Levi
03-19-2004, 09:46 AM
This will probably be the last post on this thread. It's dyno day for the black 03. Will go and watch and let everyone know the outcome.

:bounce: Good Luck :thumbsup:

Firme
03-20-2004, 05:35 PM
... and thus begins a new chapter. See Carl's new thread on his car, yes it runs now, and its a beast.

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=116845#post116845

Closing this one down.