PDA

View Full Version : My first Cobra

JDawg1536
09-26-2003, 05:51 PM
Hey everyone, just eanted to say hi. Im 19 and buying my first Cobra from a family friend. Its a blacok on black 98, and all it has done to it is x-pipes and a shift kit. Im really excited, the car is cherry, everything about it is perfect. I look forward to being a regular on here and cant wait to drive home in it. Also, can anyone give me some links to some sites with basic info on my new black beauty? Thanks a lot!

tcrews
09-26-2003, 07:11 PM
I hope it doesn't have a shift kit in it....since Cobras don't come with automatic transmissions and you can't put a shift-kit in a manual.

If it's an automatic (with a shift-kit), it's not a Cobra.

JDawg1536
09-27-2003, 04:51 AM
O meant it has a pro 5.0 shifter, not a shift kit. Its a Cobra, trust me, Ive driven it:D

tcrews
09-27-2003, 11:48 AM
okay.....congratulations on your car :)

what kind of info are you looking for?

305 bhp
300 btq
4.6 DOHC 4V engine
T-45 5 speed transmission with 3.27 rear axle ratio

7,000rpm redline

Stock makes about 265 rwhp (some more, some less).

smashedheadcat
09-27-2003, 08:50 PM
It'll also have a very cool, yet weird way it pulls. Kinda feel like a small hit of nitrous @ 3250 rpms when the IMRCs open up. Definately a pretty cool feeling. I wouldn't worry about looking for links for basic 98 cobra information. Almost everyone here has a cobra, so information is definately not lacking here. Mr. Tom Crews (tcrews) has taught me more than my fair share about these 4 valve cobras. More than I ever asked for that's for sure. If you have any questions please ask. Most people ask at one time or another about "what gears should I put in my cobra". Just do a search for that. There's hundreds of threads about that exact same topic floating around here.

budguy1967
10-01-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by smashedheadcat
It'll also have a very cool, yet weird way it pulls. Kinda feel like a small hit of nitrous @ 3250 rpms when the IMRCs open up. Definately a pretty cool feeling.

I have a 97 Cobra that I bought in January. I have never felt any surge of power around 3200 rpms, and it showed when did a 15.12 ET at the track a few weeks ago. I have the car in the shop getting it analyzed. Hopefully, the IMRC actuator is just stuck and the plates need cleaning.

smashedheadcat
10-02-2003, 11:17 AM
I personally haven't ever had a problem with my IMRC's. I think if the actuator fails it will trigger a check engine light. If they are just stuck, you'll just have to clean them. If you don't feel the extra power @ 3200 ish rpms then they are probably not opening. You did the right thing by taking it to the track and seeing how it measured up againt the clock, and not just by the seat of the pants feel.

JDawg1536
10-23-2003, 04:53 PM
Well, I fianlly got it, and I think Im in love. What would you guys reccomend as some of the basic mods, maintenance, etc.... Like what kind of oil to run, whatever you think a new guy like me should know.

smashedheadcat
10-23-2003, 06:31 PM
It depends a ton on what you want to do with the car. If you've already got a shifter, then that's one thing that you won't have to worry about. As far as power goes, just about anything will help it pick up. Stay away from a chip at the point though, as you won't see any real gains from it. The cheapest thing that you'll actually feel, is going with a set of gears. In my opinion, a set of 4.30 gears would be best. Definatly a big kick in the pants as far as quickness is concerned, and gas mileage won't take a big hit either. A cat-back exhaust isn't going to give you much if any power at this point, but it will make the car sound considerablly meaner.