PDA

View Full Version : Car won't idle.

BOSSMAN
09-28-2003, 12:05 PM
I went out and started up our 99 cobra today and the car won't idle. My guess is that its throttle position sensor. Just wanted to get some other feed back from you guys before I start taking my spare 01 motor apart.

tcrews
09-28-2003, 03:39 PM
Could also be your IAC, these are known to get gunked and start create bad/no idle issues. Pull it off, clean it with carb cleaner and then reinstall. Usually after one or two cleanings it needs to be replaced.

Usually happens on cars that sit for awhile or have high mileage though...

BOSSMAN
09-28-2003, 08:34 PM
Tom,

We tried cleaning the IAC and it did not work. Have you got any other suggestions?

tcrews
09-28-2003, 10:07 PM
Off the top of my head.....sorry no.

Can you give us some more info on everything...

How long the car has sat without running...
What kind of idle issue? Go up and the drop down slowly and continue until it stalls or just never holds an idle?
Anything changed since last time it was idleing properly?

What ever you can think of that might help "online diagnose" the problem :)

BOSSMAN
09-28-2003, 10:39 PM
Ok the car was last driven on saturday. It will not idle at all. When you crank it up it dies instantly. The car does puff some light blue smoke on start up but it has done that since day one. The car only has 53,000 miles on it. We haven't done any modifications to it. Don't know if this helps any, but any suggestions will be appreciated.

tcrews
09-28-2003, 11:08 PM
I'm clueless right now...but it must be something extremely simple that is just being overlooked. I had a vacuum hose come off once and my car would idle for crap....of course I had just raced a Harley so I figured my car was messed up. A friend came by and we popped the hood and after about 2 seconds he saw the loose hose (I had been through the engine compartment earlier...but in my frustration I obviously wasn't as observant as I needed to be). Plugged the hose in and Vrooom the car would idle again.

Check all your vacuum hoses, your intake tract, MAF etc......

itsrlong
09-29-2003, 08:32 AM
This happened to me when my intake hose came loose from the throttle body. Apparently the clamp was loose and it was hard to find because it was still sitting on the throttle body but not connected, so I didn't see it right off the bat. I found it when I was try to see if my MAF was connected, which I was told will cause this problem. Hope this helps.

BOSSMAN
09-30-2003, 09:39 PM
Well we think we have fixed the problem for right now. We ended up running compressed air throught the vaccume ports and it sounded like some sort of valve opened up. We not sure what it was but the car is running great now.

1-QIK-SNK
10-04-2003, 08:40 PM
Would the MAF need cleaned?
That wouls be the only other thing I could think of.

Good luck.

Svt50Cobra
10-06-2003, 11:12 PM
When my 98 was acting up I replaced about 3 TPS sensors and the problem would always go away for about 3 months at a time then after getting mad I finally took it to Ford and my ECU was messed up, you might want to keep this in mind.

svtpower
10-24-2003, 05:20 AM
i also had trouble with my 96 cobra,that was something to do with the idle control.when i layed into the brakes real hard and pushed in the clutch it would stall out, i finally hooked it up to my obd 2 reader and it read a 1506 mf. code which was the idle speed censor and i replaced it and it works like a charm now.

svtpower
10-24-2003, 05:22 AM
you might wanna check that idle speed censor or have it diagnosed