PDA

View Full Version : Augusta International Speedway

HistoricMustang
09-29-2003, 05:33 PM
http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/augustai.html

Guys/girls, here is the only picture I can find of the old road course here in Augusta. It operated from 1961 to 1969 and NASCAR ran here in 1964.

I as out there yesterday and took some pics that I will put up asap.

The grandstands are at top and they are located on the pit lane which was changed to the front straight in later years as they tried to increase the lap times and get car closer to the fans.

If any of you get down this way, let me know and I will take you out for a tour.

I drove the track several times (got in at night when no one was looking) and it would sure have been fun in one of our cars. Some of the corners are banked like an oval.

Pretty neat place to take a walk.

Good Racing,
Henry

johnbasf
09-29-2003, 06:37 PM
Is it still operating?? If not Pantas needs to buy it so we can race there.:D

HistoricMustang
09-29-2003, 07:33 PM
Kind of a neat idea...................perhaps in the future we can have a reunion at the old track. Here are results from 1964 USRRC:
http://www.classicscars.com/wspr/results/usrrc/usrrc1964.html#1

Check out the drivers and Fireball Roberts won his last race at this track in 1964 before dying from the burns at Charlotte.

Back when I got on the track in the late '60's the first thing I noticed were the guard rails made out of WOOD!

Yesterday, I visited the old torn down rest rooms and just wondered which stall Caroll Shelby used. Also found the foundation for the control tower and the garages.

I will not mention the baby rattle snake that my wife almost stepped on!

Great Stuff!

Henry

2KWhiteSnake
09-29-2003, 08:51 PM
Yeah, how come it was closed down? Is the track at all salvagable? The land is there, the track is there, would be awesome to find some investors willing to resurface and update everything for use. Sad because that looks like an awesome track.

Craig

mwilson7
09-30-2003, 11:01 AM
Anyone know who owns this place? Can you show me where it is on a map. Address or GPS coordinates would also be appreciated.

HistoricMustang
09-30-2003, 03:53 PM
Mark, I will try to locate the GPS info. This is the best I can find and you really have to use the imagination:

http://terraserver-usa.com/addressimage.aspx?t=1&s=13&lon=-82.085278861&lat=33.3612058046&alon=-82.07685438&alat=33.36435589&w=1&ref=A%7cWindsor+Spring+Rd%2c+Augusta%2c+GA+30906

Top center of the photo you can see what is left of the 1/2 mile track and right above it was the drag strip. Go to the bottom center of the pic and you can make out the track as it appeared in 1999 as construction was underway for a new county "recreation area".

Between the drag strip and the road course there were plans to build a 1 1/2 mile oval, and you can see the lakes that were going to be used for hydroplane boat racing.

This place was so ahead of the times. Can you imagine a complex with all that in one location.

The two round looking "clearings" which is where the new park was being built correspond with my initial photo as being in the top left corner. You can make out the long straight which was the pit area and that dynamic long run from the top left of the original photo.

Craig, sorry to say but the photo also reveals why the track could never be re-developed. It is not like a VIR which is isolated to this day. Augusta has "boomed" around the track and a good portion is now a park and plans remain for the balance.

I am currently trying to get permission from the local county government to get "free range" of the place to try and get it documented before it is gone.

Really a sad story for people who like to go fast!

Henry

wildhorsesracin
10-01-2003, 10:53 PM
I am afraid that the same fate might happen to Roebling Road:

http://terraserver-usa.com/addressimage.aspx?t=1&s=12&lon=-81.32479986&la...+Roebling+Rd%2c+Bloomingdale%2c+GA+31302 (http://terraserver-usa.com/addressimage.aspx?t=1&s=12&lon=-81.32479986&lat=32.16621269&alon=-81.32479986&alat=32.16621269&w=1&ref=A%7c1135+Roebling+Rd%2c+Bloomingdale%2c+GA+31302)

It seems every time I go back down there it is more and more developed... :(

redsnake99
10-02-2003, 10:07 AM
November 8 is the day for SCMC drag day at Carolina Dragway which is near Augusta, over the line into South Carolina. What's the possibility we could go see the old track early or late that day. We're at the dragway from about 11 to 5.

:D

HistoricMustang
10-02-2003, 03:53 PM
Dave and others go here:

http://www.historicmustang.com/speedway.html

I am currently trying to get approval from the county to gain access to the road course track area as most of it is not open to the public unless you want to venture out on your own, which I do quite often.

If I can get this OK perhaps you can run over on Nov. 8th as I only live 3 miles from the track. The drag strip in Jackson is maybe a 30 minute ride.

All the big guns ran here for a brief period in the mid sixties and it is really neat to get out and experience this place. Jim Hall, Ken Miles, Dave Macdonald, Don Yenko, Fireball Roberts, Richard Petty drove the track along with many others and the old snake Carroll Shelby was around.

Good Stuff and one day it will be gone forever.

Henry

The above page is one I am developing and will add actual photos so "bookmark" it and return. Someone needs to do it before it is gone.

95cobraR
10-22-2003, 09:15 AM
Henry, Great stuff. That track looks like it would have been great! I wonder why they stopped racing it? It seems to me that you could never run it again due to all the development nearby.

I doubt Roebling will be around in the future. The Roebling's built the track in the 'sticks' then people moved near the track. Then they complained of the noise (go figure). Now they complain about the big rigs that drive through the neighborhoods.

HistoricMustang
10-22-2003, 03:26 PM
Doc, thanks. If you get over to the Augusta area let me know. We can go out and visit the track.

Yes, I got my start at Roebling. First started with flagging for the SCCA and when I built my '65 race car in the mid-90's, Roebling was the first event for the old girl.

That track is owned by the SCCA and I heard they are looking for new land to build a track as it will also be gone one day.

Thanks,
Henry

That crazy brother of mine is off today to go and do the La Carrera Panamerican road race down in Mexico. That should really produce some stories!

95cobraR
10-22-2003, 04:05 PM
Yea , I knew Gary was going down to mexico with his ex-mustang. Last I heard David H. was also going, and then Gary was flying back to Daytona to help Jerry win the enduro championship! I hope they don't drink too much of those cactus plant drinks. It would be big fun to drive thru public roads wide open for miles.

I'll take you up on that offer to check out the track. :bounce:

HistoricMustang
10-22-2003, 05:17 PM
Doc, Carl went with Gary so it is going to be wild. I can see him reading the map and drinking wine.

Henry