PDA

View Full Version : x-pipe interchange

racinjason89
09-30-2003, 09:27 PM
Does anyone know if a bassani x-pipe for a 96 GT will fit a 96 cobra?

laserred
10-01-2003, 09:13 PM
I doubt it very much. The engine in the GT is a 2 valve SOHC -
single overhead cam, while the engine for the cobra is a 4 valve DOHC - dual overhead cam. Two totally different engines. Two totally different heads, and the position of the headers will most likley be very different. While they are both 281 blocks, they are set up very differently. ;)

smashedheadcat
10-02-2003, 12:14 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I'll tell you what I do know. The factory H-pipe from my 97 cobra went onto my friends 96 GT with no problems whatsoever. I don't know if it helped his car out at all, but we swapped them anyway. Bolted right up, and plugged in the o2's and that was it.

laserred
10-02-2003, 12:45 PM
Maybe it will fit. I thought with the different heads, the pipe wouldn't fit. I guess I'm wrong. If you have the pipe, try it.:eek:

racinjason89
10-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to try it! I'll let you know if it works.

laserred
10-13-2003, 08:36 PM
Just thought I would let you know, I recently sold a guy my bassani x pipe with high flow cats off my 98 snake, who has an 03 gt. he was able to bolt the pipe right up, and only had to buy extentions from the mufflers to the pipe, no cuting / welding on the pipe. Only on the mufflers to attach the extentions! I stand corrected.:thumbsup:

racinjason89
10-13-2003, 09:14 PM
Thanks. I got the GT pipe today and am going to try to put it on tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted!

racinjason89
10-15-2003, 07:39 PM
Just a not to let everyone know that a bassani x-pipe for a GT will NOT fit a cobra!! Anyone want to buy one!?:mad:

smashedheadcat
10-15-2003, 09:31 PM
What was the problem as far as it not fitting??

laserred
10-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Sorry. I didn't think it would work. But, like I said in the previous reply, I sold a guy a 98 bassani x pipe from my snake, and he put it on his 03 GT!!! The only thing he had to do was buy extentions from the mufflers to the back of the pipe. No cutting welding or bending, that I know of. Sorry for the not fitting.

laserred
10-21-2003, 09:35 AM
I stand corrected!!! The guy I sold the x pipe ( bassani ) off of my 98 snake, fit his 03 GT without any bending, cutting, welding, and I had said before he had to buy extensions to the mufflers. I was wrong, he only had to buy O2 sensors!!! Extensions for the sensors only!!!:thumbsup: :bounce: :rolleyes: ;) ;)

smashedheadcat
10-21-2003, 12:17 PM
Kind of weird. But if it didn't fit, then it didn't fit. All I know is my H-pipe from the cobra went right onto my friends GT with zero modsifications. :confused:

laserred
10-21-2003, 05:46 PM
I'm sorry, I mean it fit his 03 gt just fine, he only had to buy extensions for his o2 sensors, the pipe fit no problems!!!

smashedheadcat
10-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by laserred
I'm sorry, I mean it fit his 03 gt just fine, he only had to buy extensions for his o2 sensors, the pipe fit no problems!!!

Sorry, I don't type very clear most of the time ;). I was just trying to toss out some words for Jason there. :D Like, "we're still wondering what the problem was with the fit.";)

I'm sorry our knowlege wasn't up to par. :( But both of us are just trying to help, as we've both had similar, but successful swaps.

laserred
10-22-2003, 01:25 PM
That's right. I hope you have better luck in the future. We were just trying to give advice from our experiences. May we all be blessed with sucessful swaps from now on:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cool: :cool: :D :D

racinjason89
10-23-2003, 10:10 PM
Sorry it took so long to reply. TOO much goin' on. Anyway, the pipe was hitting the crossmember at the bracket. The holes for the Os were welded right against the crossmember too. So I guess the aftermarket companies dlittle different. Oh well, that's all history. I've sold the pipe and have the correct one on the way. Hopefully some of you will get to here it at drag day in November.:D

smashedheadcat
10-23-2003, 10:33 PM
I heard you car last drag day. I thought it sounded pretty good then. I couldn't run mine due to no tune, no cage, and well, idler pulley for the blower was all messed up throwing belts.... But I did get to watch.

Josh