PDA

View Full Version : Drive line "clunk"

Missouri Dave
10-05-2003, 01:32 AM
I am the new owner of a bone stock low mileage 01 cobra. It is my first cobra, although I have a 66 fastback, and two 5.0 GT's. Soon after my purchase I noticed a "clunk" in the drive line when I shift between neutral and first, or when I move from first to neutral. I took it to a local ford dealer (not an SVT dealer). They looked it over and could not figure out what was causing the clunk. They ran a service bulletin and gave me a copy of it. It basically said that 99 - 03 cobras might have a bump noise between the gears after heavy exceleration. I argued that this was not the same problem as mine because mine is not after heavy exceleration, and will happed when even backing from a parking space or driving in rush hour.

Has anyone else noticed the clunk in their drive line? My brother has an 01 Gt and no clunk, so am I right to think that it has something to do with the independent rear suspension? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

laserred
10-05-2003, 01:23 PM
I currently have 98 laserred snake. I have the exact same sound. I think it is the limited slip diff. setting up for acceleration off initial start up and go. I have gears in mine ( 373 ). Are you noticing any thing wrong with the traction? That would be the only thing I would worry about unless you are experiencing a clunking every time you drive in all conditions, around corners, under acceleration, under heavy load, slowing down. If it is only doing it when you change to first gear, I wouldn't worry unless it is affecting driveability. Every mustang I have owned does that same thing, 2 85 GTs, 1 97 GT and my 98 cobra. I could be wrong. But, I don't think it something bad. You could have someone open the diff. housing removing the cover ( ford tech. ) and check for problems. If you find out anything, let me know. Good luck!!!

Black03
10-31-2003, 04:34 AM
I got a clunk too - dealer says it is ok and normal

Racer_726
10-31-2003, 05:01 AM
I have that RH side IRS clunk in mine.

I guess we're all driving clunkers:p