PDA

View Full Version : How easy is it to install 3.73 gears?

Beanhead
10-08-2003, 10:46 AM
I have to replace my pinion seal, and I figured while I'm in there, I might as well replace the gear and pinion if it's easy enough. Is it easy enough? Or do I need several specialized tools and 5 hours? LOL

Black Horse
10-08-2003, 12:26 PM
Unless you have experience and the right tools, changing rear gears is best left to someone else. The actual changing is quite easy, but you have to make sure you set the proper pinion depth which gives you the proper lash. Too much/too little you will end up with big problems down the road.

I have changed the gears myself in both my street car and my race car using basic tools, a dial caliper and a dial indicator with magnetic base. It takes time and some finesse...and you have to enjoy that stinky gear lube in the pores of your body for weeks afterward.

If you go ahead with the gears you might want to consider changing the bearings as well....cheap insurance!

If you know of someone that has done it that can give you a hand...go for it....but I highly recommend leaving this one to the professionals.

cobrapace94
10-12-2003, 12:25 PM
Replacing rear gears is not for the faint of heart. It can be done in the drive way, but is not recomended for a 1st timer. I did mine with help from someone who has done it before on a lift. It can be done just by checking the pattern on the teeth on the gear, be ready to pull it out after checking a few times. If possible get someone who has done it before and go for it.

Beanhead
10-12-2003, 01:46 PM
Thanks for your inputs, but after what I've been reading, I'm not going to mess with it. I just changed the pinion seal on the differential, and if it was only a matter of bolt/unbolt, then I would have done it. Although it might be cool, I'm happy with the way it is! :D

Thanks!

Black Snake
10-13-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Beanhead
Although it might be cool, I'm happy with the way it is! :D
You've obviously never driven a car with gears (3.73's). Knowing what I know now, gears would be my first modification. It's a completely different car with 3.73's. :D

Beanhead
10-14-2003, 03:44 PM
Hmmmmm....

Well, maybe if I can get some 3.73's for a good price, I'll pick 'em up and have them installed by a trusted shop. Maybe that's what I'll ask Santa for? :D

yelsvt03cobra
11-05-2003, 12:11 AM
I have 3.73's if you need some. I get them around here usually new for $100. I do not do this for a living but when people have new gears and don't use them I take the deal. I currently have 3.55, 3.73, and 4.10's. I do not make any $$$ off these at all, I just get the good deals and pass them on.

Chris

jkrkk1
04-30-2004, 12:53 PM
What is the best deal you can give my on the 3.55 gears.
thanks a God Bless