PDA

View Full Version : Build Articles

Mystic_Cobra
11-05-2003, 01:53 PM
Can anyone provide links to sites that detail a build up of an American Iron racecar? There's 100s of FFR build sites on the web.
I know the basic idea, I was just looking for a step-by-step guide with some pictures.

I was just curious and looking for some light reading...

justagt
11-05-2003, 02:04 PM
I would be glad to offer any advice or suggestions for you. I just don't have any written stuff about my build. If I did, it would be profanity-laced material not for young eyes with me wondering over and over why I subjected myself to such a project.

But let me know if I can help. :D

johnbasf
11-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Cage, MM, battery switch. How's that for light reading. Trust me you don't want to ask Will. :D

Mystic_Cobra
11-05-2003, 03:49 PM
A good start, but I knew that already. I guess the rulebook is as good a guide as any?!?

Is Banana still doing cages? His site won't load.

johnbasf
11-05-2003, 06:33 PM
I have a private hotline to Mr. Lewis.:D No really, shoot him and e-mail. You are more than welcome to come down and have another look.

351coupe
11-12-2003, 04:12 PM
MM? What is this? More Money?

I am also exploring this. I don't have many resources (technical or monetary) but there is so much temptation!! I would hate to look back 10 years from now and say "I wish I would have at least tried it!!".

I am in Shelby and have got a quote from Group Delta on cage. Unfortunately it was a little more than I expected and he is overloaded with work so he can't work me in anytime soon.

I guess a trailer would also be a nice thing to have!!

Sorry Mystic Cobra...I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Trev

johnbasf
11-12-2003, 06:25 PM
I really think the best thing to do is contact one of the racers with as car like yours. Checking out the rules and the NASA CCR is a good start.

justagt
11-13-2003, 08:33 AM
Hey, Trevor, good to see you post and that you are interested in AI.

You would probably end up needing a trailer, BUT it is very possible to run and still have the car 'streetable'. We have a couple of guys that drive to the track and race! I think Stephen Jones' car is street legal even thought he uses a trailer.

If you have a limited budget, I would suggest putting the money into safety first before anything else. The rest of it you can do later on.

Oh, MM is for Maximum Motorsports, a company that makes killer suspension goodies for Mustangs and also a sponsor of the AI series.

351coupe
11-14-2003, 10:48 AM
Thanks Will.

I've been looking for a trailer for a while now. Kinda of hard to find an affordable one that isn't in poor shape.

I think the safety side is the only area i'm lacking. I already have a 351, Tremec, brakes, and full Griggs suspension. I have a 6 point bolt in cage with 5 point harnesses but I don't think it would meet NASA specs. I REALLY need to get a full welded in cage and gut the interior. I would also need to move battery from trunk to back seat floor and add a cutoff switch.

I figured MM was for Max. Motorsports. I was just joking with John. They are very good but I'm kinda partial to Griggs!!

Trev

95cobraR
12-14-2003, 06:10 AM
I've got an open trailer for sale. It was custom built for a Mustang. $1200 OBO. see FS thread.

I think AI uses SCCA rules for roll bars (thickness, cross bracing, etc.)

My 2 cents: Go to the NASA/AI races and check out the cars. Ask the drivers questions. Of course, you'll want to do some open track.

How do you make a small fortune racing? Start with a large one.:D

Mystic_Cobra
12-14-2003, 10:01 AM
is this the same trailer that was in Atlanta? Is it now in Charlotte?

HistoricMustang
12-14-2003, 06:22 PM
Hey, if anyone is interested in the early model Mustang for AIX, there are several of us here that can help. One word of caution, you have to "drive" these babies!! You go "deeper", you go "harder" and you have to "push" longer to make them competitive - what fun!

Thanks,
Henry

95cobraR
12-15-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Mystic_Cobra
is this the same trailer that was in Atlanta? Is it now in Charlotte?

Mystic,
No, this trailer has always been in Atlanta. I had it custom made in Duluth, GA (near Atl.). It is a red trailer with slide-in ramps.

95cobraR
12-15-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by HistoricMustang
Hey, if anyone is interested in the early model Mustang for AIX, there are several of us here that can help. One word of caution, you have to "drive" these babies!! You go "deeper", you go "harder" and you have to "push" longer to make them competitive - what fun!

Thanks,
Henry

What Henry really is trying to say:

"drive" push it to the complete limit
"deeper" Slide it to one inch of the wall
"harder" Build a more powerful motor
"push" hire Matt Kenseth to drive the car
"what fun" no arguement here. It's almost as fun as other things (unless you are with Jennifer Anniston).

justagt
12-15-2003, 08:56 AM
hey, Trevor , you still looking for a trailer??

351coupe
12-22-2003, 06:59 AM
Will,

I think I found something better...an owner/sponser. He wants to buy my car, pay for everything, occassionally use the car for track events, but have me drive it in AI !! We're still working on the details.

justagt
12-22-2003, 09:05 AM
Does he want a 2 car team?

wreckm
12-22-2003, 09:28 AM
Man it is nice to see someone heading in the right direction! Team GRIGGS- East

AI/X #08
12-22-2003, 09:52 AM
I think I found something better...an owner/sponser. He wants to buy my car, pay for everything, occassionally use the car for track events, but have me drive it in AI !! We're still working on the details.

I had one of those too for 2003, and I'm sure you heard how well that went.:rolleyes: Have him put cash in an account that you can access and work on it yourself so you know it will get done and done right. I hope it works out for you.

Personally, I went and stole the car from the shop and am working on it myself with corporate sponsors to get it out for a couple of races. I hope to see you out there.
Mark

wildhorsesracin
12-23-2003, 08:25 AM
Since I am currently w/o car I was considering sharing expenses, etc. with someone this year as well...

I am not sure which events I'll be able to drive, but I am definitely hoping to drive VIR (full), Mid-Ohio, and Shenandoah...