PDA

View Full Version : 97 cobra is dying "HELP"

smokesix
11-05-2003, 09:37 PM
First of all my mods are o/r h-pipe, w/ flowmaster 1 chambers, steeda pulleys & T/A set a 16, and 4:10 gears with 102,600 on the odometer. Here's the story I was driving home from work and my car all of a sudden start to make a puttering (back pressure) noise and didn't want to accelerate when I give it some gas. I pulled over and popped the hood, everything looked good but it had a really bad idle and then it shut off. I started it back, drove it around some more and it still mad the noise and wouldn't accel. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going on with my car?

thanks

smashedheadcat
11-05-2003, 10:20 PM
I noticed on the older 5.0's, a bad plug wire would cause a "back pressure" type feel. Since you've got an off road H-pipe, clogged cat isn't the problem. Just give everything a look over, pull the plugs, visually inspect the plug wires, etc.

tcrews
11-06-2003, 02:33 PM
Change your fuel filter if you haven't....with that many miles it's probably clogged.

smokesix
11-07-2003, 12:22 AM
First off, I changed the fuel filter and it still would spudder really bad, so I had went ahead and changed the sparks plugs and it didn't spudder when I would get on it but if I was cruising down the street in the lowest gear (4th or 5th) and press on the accell. it would still do it. The car would spudder so bad it would shake. I checked the check engine light and it said something "4 missfired", throttle body sensor, and no cats. I couldn't get the high priced spark plugs because autozone was out so I had to settle with champion which total where $12.99. You guys woulnd't think I have a ****ed up pistons or bad fuel injectors???
Please let me know
thanks

Hazman
11-07-2003, 07:23 AM
Keep checking the simple things first.
Spark plug wires check resistance
O2 sensors and Mil eliminators
Clean the MAF

My97SVT
11-07-2003, 08:41 AM
i had really bad spuddering and it ended up being wires and coil packs...

STANGBUM
11-07-2003, 11:04 AM
Mine started that and it was the EGR.... is that the correct spelling....well it was something like that. It felt like I lost a cylinder.:eek:

smashedheadcat
11-08-2003, 03:00 PM
The copper spark plugs will out perform the platinum plugs. Platinum is for longetivity, but not much else. The champion plugs are a better plug for performance, but you'll need to check them @5000 miles, and replace them every 10,000 miles.