PDA

View Full Version : just a leisurely stroll.........

Andy M
11-10-2003, 07:16 AM
Well... as some of you know, my rear diff was beginning to slip during our SCMC event at TWS in August. The clutchpacks were worn and I had promised myself that when this happened, I would replace the entire unit with something Ford should have put in this car in the first place - a Torsen T2R!

We did a group purchase on the R forum and I just got mine installed. All I can say, is... WOW!!!! I also installed some new '03 Cobra axles. The car feels much more secure coming out of the corners and pulls alot smoother from a dead stop. No more of that annoying clunking (clutchpacks engaging and disengaging) noise coming from the diff.

The true test is this Thursday... Joe and I will be at TWS for a one day track event. We will be instructing. I can't wait to take it up to speed on the track after this most pleasing modification! Will share track results later...

By the way, Larry Frank and I went out and played together last night... we seemed to attract alot of attention up on FM1960?? not sure why?;) We ate dinner at the Hooters at 45 and 1960, then took 'em up to speed for a bit on 45 and then on BW8.. The car feels great now in the turns!

Anyone needing to rebuild their diff should really consider getting a Torsen. This is THE best there is!

Firme
11-10-2003, 07:35 AM
wow!!! sounds great Andy. How much do they cost?

Levi
11-10-2003, 01:33 PM
That is too cool.:thumbsup: I can't wait till MSR.:bounce:

Twice Bitten
11-10-2003, 08:08 PM
I had a blast last night, but not as much fun as I had at Texas World speedway.:D :thumbsup:

Andy M
11-10-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Firme
wow!!! sounds great Andy. How much do they cost? Edmond,

The T2R normally goes for right at $600.00. That is just for the diff. Then you need to install a new carrier bearing for a cost of around $28.00 and then a shim kit, which costs $30.00. We got a special group purchase deal from one of the R owners on the SVT Performance R board. I can't advertise the price, but I can put you in contact with him if you or anyone else is interested?...

I also installed new '03 Cobra axles. Got those at Tommie Vaughn here in Houston for $238.00 each (Westside Mustangs price). They normally go for about $290.00 each. Kevin over at Kenny Bumbera's did the install. Kevin is a great mechanic and one of the only people I trust to work on the R.

The Torsen T2R is a clutch-less diff, limited slip with just gears inside... made to withstand the rigors of racing. Here is a link to read all about it... I reinstalled the 3.73 gears as they showed absolutely no signs of wear, and I have been happy with this gearing for my car.

http://www.globalwest.net/torsen_traction_differential.htm

It is very bad a$$!! It is a VERY noticable improvement in torque control on the IRS. I love it already, and I haven't even had it on the track yet?!!!:bounce: :thumbsup:

Andy M
11-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Levi
That is too cool.:thumbsup: I can't wait till MSR.:bounce: MSR here we come!!!! I picked up my new set of Hoosier slicks today!! I will be ready to scorch some asphalt!!

Carl G
11-12-2003, 09:14 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!! It sounds like you got the R ready to go. I will be glad when I can come out to play, hopefully soon. I know you are going to have a great time on the track. Burn some for me. I will see you guys in a couple of weeks after hunting season. Take care all.