PDA

View Full Version : Gas Guzzler Tax

03 SVT 10
11-11-2003, 01:42 AM
What's up with this gas guzzler tax I had to pay on '03 Cobra? Where is this money going? My Cobra will get better gas milage that most cars out there and I have to pay $1000.00 Gas Guzzlers tax, what a rip! Does anyone know where this money is going, other than making someones pockets fat!

Boy I feel better now, thanks!:bounce:

Aaron94
11-12-2003, 04:28 AM
it sure isnt going to help gas prices get reduced.... it goes off into la la land with all the other taxes we pay.

cydewaze
11-16-2003, 09:32 AM
Where do taxes go... hmmmmm.

Well, here's a little life cycle of your tax dollar:

1) Candidate runs for office

2) Candidate needs money

3) Big corporation/rich person wants to pay less taxes, so they pick the candidate who will give them a break

4) Aforementioned corporation/person contributes big bucks to aforementioned candidate

5) Candidate gets elected to office

6) Candidate signs into law a tax cut for aforementioned corporation/person, so your taxes have to take up the slack. If tax cut is big enough, your taxes might go straight to aforementioned corporation/person.

7) Candidate then awards contracts to aforementioned corporation/person, which are also paid for by you taxes. Now corporation/person can afford to contribute more to aforementioned candidate.

Confused yet?

Synopsis: Your taxes go toward getting candidates elected, and paying off those who contributed toward his campaign. Some political parties are worse than others in this respect, but it's the same basic principle. Either way, the candidate/corporation/persons involved all get rich.

Cobra-R
11-16-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by cydewaze
Where do taxes go... hmmmmm.

Well, here's a little life cycle of your tax dollar:

1) Candidate runs for office

2) Candidate needs money

3) Big corporation/rich person wants to pay less taxes, so they pick the candidate who will give them a break

4) Aforementioned corporation/person contributes big bucks to aforementioned candidate

5) Candidate gets elected to office

6) Candidate signs into law a tax cut for aforementioned corporation/person, so your taxes have to take up the slack. If tax cut is big enough, your taxes might go straight to aforementioned corporation/person.

7) Candidate then awards contracts to aforementioned corporation/person, which are also paid for by you taxes. Now corporation/person can afford to contribute more to aforementioned candidate.

Confused yet?

Synopsis: Your taxes go toward getting candidates elected, and paying off those who contributed toward his campaign. Some political parties are worse than others in this respect, but it's the same basic principle. Either way, the candidate/corporation/persons involved all get rich.

Might want to take a look at this, it shoots your theory in the foot. http://www.taxfoundation.org/prtopincometable.html
Top 25% of income earners pay 82.9% of all income taxes even though they only earn 65.2% of all income. Also notice how the average tax rate drops as income drops. If they are doing as you say, our elected officials aren't living up to thier part of the bargain in return for the payoffs

Brian

Cobra-R
11-16-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by 03 SVT 10
What's up with this gas guzzler tax I had to pay on '03 Cobra? Where is this money going? My Cobra will get better gas milage that most cars out there and I have to pay $1000.00 Gas Guzzlers tax, what a rip! Does anyone know where this money is going, other than making someones pockets fat!

Boy I feel better now, thanks!:bounce:

If a car doesn't meet the CAFE (Corperate average fuel economey) standards it is taxed as a gas guzzler. SUV's and pickups don't fall under this, so they don't get the tax.

I have heard that the 04 Cobra's might meet the CAFE standard, if that is true they wouldn't get charged the gas guzzler tax. It just a way of penalizing the manufactures who build cars that don't meet the standard, which ultimately gets passed onto the buyer.

Brian

tcrews
11-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Where's the tech? Oh...there isn't any.