PDA

View Full Version : another suspension issue

Venom55
11-11-2003, 10:22 PM
in addition to my other post, is there any reason my gt would feel more stable at high speeds than my cobra? i just remeber the gt being smooth as glass at 100 plus and my cobra just floats all over the place at speeds that high. again, all my current suspension mods came directly off my gt.

mike

Aaron94
11-12-2003, 03:30 AM
i have no idea bud, the are pretty much identical cars cept for the motor, and as you say the suspensions are the same. same wheels/tires?

Venom55
11-12-2003, 07:31 AM
yup, wheels, tires, suspension, everything.

flynfink
11-12-2003, 09:53 AM
Somethings probably bound up, overtightened, not rotating the way it should..

GT had 16" wheels CObra's 17", depending on width of tire it could be bump steering, have you had it set or checked?

64alp
11-12-2003, 02:01 PM
My cobra is bone stock on the suspension and it is very nutral at 100 - 110. I have gone faster than that and have not had it on a track but does not react with bump steer on normal road conditions.

flynfink
11-12-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by 64alp
My cobra is bone stock on the suspension and it is very nutral at 100 - 110. I have gone faster than that and have not had it on a track but does not react with bump steer on normal road conditions.

Look at the mods he's done. Also it's a 98, our 99's are much, much different.

Venom55
11-12-2003, 08:27 PM
it's not really a bumpsteer condition, i've had that before on the gt. my problem is best described like if i hit a bump going around a corner then the shocks can't get the tires back on the ground fast enough...the car kinda hops a half inch or so...as a whole.

spittincobra01
12-02-2003, 05:15 PM
it could be weight differences between the two. Cobra's are heavier than a GT so therefore require a heavier spring/dampener ratio... if you are using the same springs/dampeners on the cobra as the GT that would be my guess as to the root of the problem.

Venom55
12-02-2003, 11:10 PM
that would make the most sence to me as well but: i looked on maximum's site and there are no different requirements between the two cars for the shocks/struts or springs...i am putting a strut tower brace on the cobra soon though.

mike

spittincobra01
12-03-2003, 12:27 PM
the STB made a big difference, but not as much as the sub frame connectors, or the 4 point lower chasis brace. check out KennyBrown.com he has the sfc's on sale right now with jacking rails... pluss we get 15% discount as a scmc member

svt_coupe
12-03-2003, 12:48 PM
Have you thought about tire pressures? If your front tires have more air than the rears (even by 1-2 psi) it will make the car feel darty. For the street, stagger front to rear pressures so the fronts have about 2psi LESS than the rear. I believe I used to run 33psi front/35psi rear.

svt_coupe
12-03-2003, 12:58 PM
I just went to your other thread and realized I never followed it. Sorry, I don't lurk in this forum too much.

The DOHC aluminum motor is huge. As I said previously, it's about 75-100#'s heavier than an iron block 302, depending on who you ask. It's just a mammoth engine. With the two engines out of the car and side by side, the 4.6L looks like the legendary 427 SOHC and the 302 looks like a V6. So, that *could* affect the feel of the car - having the weight over the front wheels.

More the likely though, I'd say it's an alignment or tire pressure issue. By alignment, I don't mean the alignment of the springs in the control arms. But rather, the front end alignment (caster, camber, and toe). Have you had the car aligned? If you've put all these parts on the car and didn't have it aligned, you definitely want to get that done ASAP.

It could be bumpsteer, but I suspect you are feeling a more "macro" issue.

EDIT: one thing I just noticed. I looks like you have a Steeda adj rear sway bar. Do you have that very tight? If so, loosen it. It will add oversteer (loose/darty/etc.) to the car.

Venom55
12-03-2003, 07:30 PM
the rear swaybar is not adjustable, my stock one broke so i just replaced it with a stock type bar. i do run more presure in the front than the back, i will adjust that and see what happens..."darty" though is a good description...and the car was aligned after all the installs...needs to be done again though, i think i have a slight pull to the right.

mike

svt_coupe
12-04-2003, 10:15 AM
do you know what the toe was set to? For the street, you want a slight overall toe-in. 1/16" - 1/8" overall toe in. If it is set to 0 or toed OUT at all, you'll get a darty situation (not to mention poor tire wear). But, I'd find that hard to believe that they'd set it that way...

Try the pressures and let me know what you think.