PDA

View Full Version : more horse power?

BBeason
11-18-2003, 05:47 PM
I just purchased a 99 Cobra and saw that there was a recall on the car:

"In 1999, Ford recalled 5,300 1999 SVT Mustang Cobras after admitting the vehicle's engine did not produce its advertised 320 horsepower. The recall came after Mustang Cobra owners complained of a shortfall of as much as 50 horsepower. Ford traced the power problem to the engine's cast aluminum intake manifold and its exhaust system."

The local Ford dealer dosn't seem to be willing to help me out w/ any of the "fixes" for this. So i'm wondering what would be some of the ways that I could regain the horse power. So I'm looking for something that could be done that don't cost too much $$$. Any Ideas?

tcrews
11-18-2003, 07:01 PM
If you just bought your '99 Cobra, I'm willing to bet it's already been through the "fix" recall. That was quite awhile ago ('99-'00) and I'm sure most owners would have had it done by now. Are you the 2nd owner, 3rd owner???? Check with who you bought the car from.

As for modifications...there are a ton, some cost more than others. I'd start with gears. They won't add power but they'll make the car feel about 1000 pounds lighter. Go with 4.30s, the car will thank you and you'll thank me :)

After that some low cost mods would be underdrive pulleys, a timing adjuster, a cold air induction kit or spend some big money and just add a blower to the engine.

steve
11-19-2003, 02:11 AM
I have a 99 cobra, and I made sure it had the fix before I bought it. There's a sticker which confirms the fix. On my car it's placed just forward of the radiator overflow tank. If you have it, you can't miss it. Ford should fix it for you for free. Call 1-800-ford-svt and tell them your situation, hopefully they'll direct you to what to do next. The best mod's for this car are C&L 80mm mass air kit from C&L PERFORMANCE, look them up online, expect about 15rwhp, next is 4:30 gears, magnaflow x-pipe and cat-back, pro-5.0 shifter, auto specialties underdrive pulleys, auto specialties created the first underdrive pulleys and they are the best in the business, and a professionally dynotuned autologic chip. This combo gave me 312rwhp and 305rwt. Throw in some 5w-30 REDLINE synthetic oil in the motor and a 180 degree thermostat, and you will have a cool running bow tie killer.

Good luck
Sincerly, Steve B.:thumbsup:

BBeason
11-19-2003, 02:40 PM
I just looked under the hood and didn't see any think like what you where talking about. I'll call ford and see what they can do for me. thanks for all the help!

PS.
I looked up those 430 gears and there not very expencive at all, i'll have to pick them up this weekend! I'll let you know what I think, thanks again.

tcrews
11-19-2003, 04:15 PM
While the gears aren't that expensive, be prepared for some expense towards labor and correcting the speedometer. The IRS makes for a more difficult install of rear-end gears so that can raise the price over a standard gear install. You have two ways to correct the speedometer...use a speed-cal from Dallas Mustang or an Abbott ERA, or you could get a chip burned for the computer to tell it what gear ratio you have ('99 up computers).

I'd probably go with the speed-cal or Abbott ERA as they are cheaper and very easy to install.

BBeason
11-20-2003, 02:14 AM
I called Ford and they were able to tell me in just a few min. that the "fix" was done. Thanks for the info!

I looked into the installation and recalibration of those gears and it looks like i'm going to have to put that off for a while. Thanks again.

spittincobra01
11-30-2003, 12:43 AM
although I respect Tom's opinions... and he really knows alot about cobra's.... his set up is NOT for the faint of heart.. I wouldn't go with 4:30's. I have driven quite a few cobras with different gears to find what I want to put in and I found the 4:30's were way too steep. unless you plan on drag racing the car, and if thats the case you need to do alot more to the IRS to make it withstand the torque and abuse. The IRS is prone to half shaft failure with hard launches, and the steeper the gear the more frequent the failure.... especailly in the 99. Ford changed the halfshafts in 01 and again in 03, each time they beefed them up. if it is only a street driven car I'd sugest 3:73's, or 4:10's at the most. If you plan to open track at all then 4:10's seem to be the pick. I know I street, open track, and autocross and I'm getting the 4:10's in the spring. and I am not faint of heart, just not as hard core as Tom is ;)

tcrews
11-30-2003, 01:10 PM
heh...well I have to disagree though. I drive my car every day, rain, sleet or snow, winter/spring/summer/fall to work, to the grocery store, to Maryland once (from SC) and numerous other locations. 4.10s would be what I consider a minimum and 4.30s being a more fun all around gear for cars that see a lot of street duty and some/limited track time. I drove a 4.56 geared 2001 Cobra and it felt great. The guy who owned the car (Scott Winger) drove it from Canada down to South Carolina and now it's the only gear he recommends (for those wanting the most punch and staying NA).

It's all opinion of course, but of the cars I've driven (3.27, 4.10, 4.30 and 4.56) I feel 4.30s are the best "all around" choice that will handle most tasks well. 4.10s for those a little more faint at heart :)

smashedheadcat
11-30-2003, 10:32 PM
Our old mystic cobra had a set of 4.10's. I love them, but it just seemed like it could benefit from a little more gear. A 4.30 would be a great choice. But I think 4.56's would be perfect. Since I'm supercharged, I'll be going with 4.30's. I am a youngster though, so I don't tend to go conservative when it comes to this kinda stuff. :)

BBeason
12-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Ok, i'm a Total Newb. 3.73 gears would give me less topend and more off the line, right? And are the 4.30 more then stock or less then stock? Right now I can get to 45mph in 1st and around 80 in 2nd. If I pu in the 4.10's what would I be looking at?

spittincobra01
12-02-2003, 05:01 PM
actually you have it backwards... 3:27's are the stock gear for DOHC cobras except the 03... it has 3:55's. 3:73's will give you more of a top speed, but 4:10 or 4:30's will be quicker off the line and make 5th gear more usable as a power gear instead of overdrive. well, more so then the 3:27's do.

smashedheadcat
12-02-2003, 06:01 PM
If you put in 4.10's......... You'll be looking at less than 45mph in first, and less than 80mph in second and so on.... But more in 5th, just because it will allow acceleration in that gear than the 3.27's will.