PDA

View Full Version : Clutch trouble

97BlackSnake
11-22-2003, 04:56 AM
Yesterday after work I got in my car, started it, and drove it about 20 feet, stopped, took it out of gear, then when I pushed the clutch in it felt light. I tried to put in gear but it wouldn't go in. I'm assuming that the cable came off somehow or it's broken. If you guys have any other thoughts on what it could be I'd appreciate it. Also, do you have any idea how hard it's going to be to fix and how expensive?

Thanks for any help!

smashedheadcat
11-22-2003, 10:16 AM
How light was it?? If it almost "fell" to the floor, then something's wrong. The stock cables are self adjusting, so maybe it just adjusted to full length on ya. Try pumping the clutch a few times, then lift the clutch towards you. Then push it back in. Do this a few times and see what it does for you. If it doesn't help, look at the cable for the clutch (above pedal) and see if anything is wrong there. If it looks good, then slide under the car, and pull the dust cover off of the clutch cable. (on trans, driver side). I think it just uses a phillips screw driver to take it off. That's where the cable and the clutch for come together. See if it's still connected. If it is, then I'd probably unhook the cable from that point and try to pull it out of the car. If it doesn't budge, then the cable's probably not broke. This is just what I'd do, I'm no expert, but I'd do this if my car did what you're explaining.

97BlackSnake
11-22-2003, 05:03 PM
The pedal isn't really light, just lighter than usual and it feels wierd on the return. It's like there's less pressure pushing it back out than normal. I checked the cable inside the car and underneath it and there didn't seem to be any problem with it. When I push the clutch in it still moves underneath the car so I guess it's not broken or disconnected. Any other ideas on what it could be?

Thanks again!

97BlackSnake
11-22-2003, 05:05 PM
Also, I tried doing the automatic clutch adjustment but it didn't make any difference.

smashedheadcat
11-22-2003, 08:59 PM
It's possible that maybe the clutch cable is stretched?????

smashedheadcat
11-22-2003, 09:00 PM
As far as cost goes, it looks like $109 will get you everything you'd possibly need from Steeda. Plus, a discount for SCMC members. http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/ClutchAdjusterKits.htm

97BlackSnake
11-24-2003, 06:54 PM
I got my car towed to the shop today and I should here back from them tomorrow. I'll let you know what they find out.

97BlackSnake
11-24-2003, 07:12 PM
Tom, do you have any ideas??

97BlackSnake
11-25-2003, 03:44 PM
It turns out I need a whole new clutch. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking at a King Cobra clutch kit on steeda. Is there anything else I should replace as long as I'm doing this repair?

Thanks for any help!

smashedheadcat
11-25-2003, 09:48 PM
I'm not a big fan of the King cobra clutch. It just has a mammoth pedal feel to it. I like the RAM clutches more than any other one. These are the best feeling, longest lasting clutches I've ever used.

spittincobra01
11-29-2003, 11:31 PM
if you have to replace the clutch, you may want to consider going with an aluminum flywheel while you're in there....

I have heard that the king cobra clutch isn't all it's cracked up to be, and that it is tough on the left leg.

keep us posted.