PDA

View Full Version : Road Atlanta...


98banana
11-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Jimmy and I just got back from Road Atlanta. We had a great time seeing Thomas, Mike and Dave out there. We hung around at Thomas and Mike's trailer all day and also took a ride or two. I decided that I'm not a good passenger. Jimmy loved it, of course.

I also decided that Thomas is an excellent driver. VERY FAST! Dean, if he gets into AI next year, watch out!

Here's a few pics I took today:
http://www.planetmustang.com/Images/RA-11222003/DSC00234.JPG

http://www.planetmustang.com/Images/RA-11222003/DSC00239.JPG

http://www.planetmustang.com/Images/RA-11222003/DSC00228.JPG

More pictures can be found on the www.planetmustang.com main page.

And here's a few short movies:
Thomas (http://www.planetmustang.com/Images/RA-11222003/MOV00238.MPG)
Dave (http://www.planetmustang.com/Images/RA-11222003/MOV00219.MPG)

johnbasf
11-22-2003, 09:02 PM
That'll get the juices flowing!!! Thanks Tom. Both of those guys were flying through 12!! Mike still looks nervous when Thomas is out there.

Blown96Snake
11-23-2003, 02:00 PM
Thanks for taking some pictures! They are awesome. It was great to see you and Jimmy again. I hope everything comes together quickly with your business. Good luck

What a fun track, I can't wait to go back!

Dave

johnbasf
11-23-2003, 03:42 PM
Got any in-car David???? I hope so.:D

Blown96Snake
11-23-2003, 08:12 PM
Hey John,

I do, but don't have any way to upload it to the computer.

Road Atlanta is sweet!!!

I did have one interesting situation. I went off at the entrance of turn 3, instead of spinning, I went straight off and through the dirt and onto that pavement that isn't used anymore. It was the first time I have ever "gone 4 wheels off" at a higher speed. Unfortunately, my camera battery died before that session and I cannot review what happened. The somewhat useless Panoz instructor said I probably locked up, but I know I didn't. I locked up earlier in the day in t3, but not this time.

ANyway, it was a great time, I just need more power for the backstraight. Top speed for me was about 105-110 and that was on the front straight!

Dave

98banana
11-23-2003, 08:18 PM
I just read over on CC.com that a corvette flipped out there today. Road Atlanta is one hungry track! I can't wait to get back out there and drive on it. :bounce:

Blown96Snake
11-23-2003, 09:02 PM
Hungry track it is, it will eat up someone driving like an idiot.

Tom, did you see that BMW X5 wreck on the front straight?

We were loading up and we heard a long screeeeech and then BOOM! He was driving like an idoit

There was also that Corvette that went off coming out of pit out??!!?!!! He chalked up to cold tires, I am thinking more like cold braincells!

Later

Dave

98banana
11-24-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Blown96Snake
Hungry track it is, it will eat up someone driving like an idiot.

Tom, did you see that BMW X5 wreck on the front straight?

We were loading up and we heard a long screeeeech and then BOOM! He was driving like an idoit

There was also that Corvette that went off coming out of pit out??!!?!!! He chalked up to cold tires, I am thinking more like cold braincells!

Later

Dave

We left just before the X5 incident.

Every time I've been to Road Atlanta, somebody crashes on the warm up lap or the cool down lap. Normally the warm up lap though which is when they should be the most careful.

Crashing coming out of the pits does seem to lack a little of the gray matter required for driving a high performance car like a vette.

I REALLY think Panoz should have a little better driver's meeting than they do. They don't point out the things that a lot of ego laiden drivers seem to miss like proper point by and passing, the whole principal of warm up and cool down and the fact that people can and do ball up cars there. They mention it, but they just make jokes about it. What they need to do is scare some drivers before they get out there.

Tom

Blown96Snake
11-24-2003, 04:31 PM
Tom, I also feel that Panoz does a sloppy job on their schools. There were several times where I had quicker cars come around me before I gave them a point-by, its not like I didn't see them, I didn't have a chance to get the arm out the window or there were 5 cars ahead of me going into turn 6. It would have really pissed me off if someone had hit me while I was passing a car that gave me a signal.

There was one instance where a guy in an M3 was all over me gonig into the braking zone in 6 and 7, this really pisses me off because its not like he has to draft me to get around me, it is just unneccesary risk on his part.

I might just write Panoz a letter with some recommended changes, it is a great track, its just the rules and things that are lacking.

Later
Dave

johnbasf
11-24-2003, 05:49 PM
Dave, just go there when the NASA SE is there next year. Your welcome Mr. Pantas.:D

thomasmoran1
11-24-2003, 11:37 PM
Well, we just got back and the drive home was fine. We dropped the car off at our rollcage builder because we are going to get a head start on next year. We have some major projects planned and we need all the time we can get.

Tom, it was awesome that you and Jimmy were able to come out and I hope you guys enjoyed yourselves. On sunday in the last session I went out by myself with low fuel and I was pushing pretty hard. I've yet to get a lap time from our video but it should be a lot faster than the time I did in the spring. I can't say enough about the performance friction pads that we've been using. The rotors were getting over 1200 degree's and there was no brake fade at all.

Over the next couple of days I'll be going through my video and pictures and I'll post links here to all of them. The whole ride back all me and my dad talked about was which AI races were going to do next year.

As for the guy in the X5... He told someone that the whole day he had been lifting at the bottom of 12 and wanted to try and take it flat out...

Thomas

timz06
11-25-2003, 03:59 PM
Hi guys, I was out there this weekend as a spectator, I saw the green mustang with supercharger. I have driven on track with this car before at previous track events. Road atlanta is a dangerous track for sure, if you make a mistake there, you are going to shell out some $$ in most cases.

I had my first mishap there the last track day. I guess I am the one you guys are saying has cold brain cells. I came out of the pits on cold tires and got on it. The rear kicked out a bit and it shot me right at the inside wall. Really took me by surprise, I got it straight but not enough to avoid tapping the wall. " minor " damage, at $4200. I went ahead and had some parts of the car repainted while I was at it that were sandblasted from track use for a grand total of $5700. That is going to take a few months out of my track budget. I am now going to downgrade to my camaro. Cheaper car, and not quite as dominating as the z06. THis will give me more people to run with.

Like I said, I have had my car come loose many times, and it is like second nature to me to correct, but this got my attention and I learned that these things can happen when you least expect them.

The yellow z06 lost it coming out of 7 and hit the wall and flipped. That was a bad one. Last time a supercharged viper hit the wall in 5. Man that supercharger sounded bad coming down the front straight. That green mustang sounds pretty bad as well.

I've go a lot of road atlanta videos on my site if anyone wants to take a peek. My best time there is 1:41

http://www.slobird.com/video3.htm

Tim

98banana
11-25-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by timz06
Hi guys, I was out there this weekend as a spectator, I saw the green mustang with supercharger. I have driven on track with this car before at previous track events. Road atlanta is a dangerous track for sure, if you make a mistake there, you are going to shell out some $$ in most cases.

I had my first mishap there the last track day. I guess I am the one you guys are saying has cold brain cells. I came out of the pits on cold tires and got on it. The rear kicked out a bit and it shot me right at the inside wall. Really took me by surprise, I got it straight but not enough to avoid tapping the wall. " minor " damage, at $4200. I went ahead and had some parts of the car repainted while I was at it that were sandblasted from track use for a grand total of $5700. That is going to take a few months out of my track budget. I am now going to downgrade to my camaro. Cheaper car, and not quite as dominating as the z06. THis will give me more people to run with.

Like I said, I have had my car come loose many times, and it is like second nature to me to correct, but this got my attention and I learned that these things can happen when you least expect them.

The yellow z06 lost it coming out of 7 and hit the wall and flipped. That was a bad one. Last time a supercharged viper hit the wall in 5. Man that supercharger sounded bad coming down the front straight. That green mustang sounds pretty bad as well.

I've go a lot of road atlanta videos on my site if anyone wants to take a peek. My best time there is 1:41

http://www.slobird.com/video3.htm
Tim

Thomas Moran, who posted before you, is the owner of the Green Mustang. You'll be surprised to hear that it is not supercharged. That's 100% naturally aspirated. :D

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Coming out of the pits is the worst place to get on it, especially with cold tires and lots of power like the Z06 has. The first lap should always be babied until the tires are warm.

I know what you mean about shelling out some cash, my crash in turn 12 cost my about $30,000. But, boy did I learn a lot. :)

Oh, by the way, 1:41 is pretty dang quick. Keep working at it and you can keep up with the Cobras one day. :D

Tom

timz06
11-25-2003, 05:57 PM
Sure sounds supercharged ! I'll keep working at it and maybe I can get better.

Tim

98banana
11-25-2003, 06:03 PM
I didn't see a smiley face on your reply... you do know I was just kidding right about the Cobra vs vette thing? I would love to have a Z06 as a track car. I just can't afford it. :(

johnbasf
11-25-2003, 06:08 PM
Tim, we really need you to bring the ZO-6 to our track day next March. It just wouldn't be right without it.:D :D

thomasmoran1
11-25-2003, 06:45 PM
here is a link to some pics that my friend took over the weekend

http://homepage.mac.com/thomasmoran1/PhotoAlbum18.html

2KWhiteSnake
11-25-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by johnbasf
Tim, we really need you to bring the ZO-6 to our track day next March. It just wouldn't be right without it.:D :D

Tim better be there!!! Sorry to hear about the car. At least you weren't hurt.

Hope all is well down in Atlanta.

Craig

johnbasf
11-25-2003, 08:47 PM
Great pics Thomas!! How did the #5 Red Cobra do? That is a fellow AI guy that just had a ton of stuff done to the car. VIDEOS!!!!!!!

98banana
11-26-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by johnbasf
Great pics Thomas!! How did the #5 Red Cobra do? That is a fellow AI guy that just had a ton of stuff done to the car. VIDEOS!!!!!!!

John, who is that AI guy?

Tom

svt_coupe
11-26-2003, 08:47 AM
I like shot #32, Thomas. The car has a great stance to it in that shot. The guy in the passenger seat looks like a scared 6 year old school girl, though. What a wuss. Did you have to clean the passenger seat after he got out?

:D

That is Mark Dandurand. He ran in AI last year with a COMPLETELY stock suspension. As in, bone stock less some camber/caster plates, if I'm not mistaken. He just went to full MM (shut up Tom, I forgot about him having MM :D).

98banana
11-26-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by svt_coupe
I like shot #32, Thomas. The car has a great stance to it in that shot. The guy in the passenger seat looks like a scared 6 year old school girl, though. What a wuss. Did you have to clean the passenger seat after he got out?

:D

ROFL!!! Even though that helmet looks familiar, I think that was Jimmy in those photos. I'll let him know what you said. Keep in mind he's as big as you are now. :D

Originally posted by svt_coupe
That is Mark Dandurand. He ran in AI last year with a COMPLETELY stock suspension. As in, bone stock less some camber/caster plates, if I'm not mistaken. He just went to full MM (shut up Tom, I forgot about him having MM :D).

Considering how things are looking right now, that's the way I'll be racing in the spring. I'll do all the safety stuff, but the suspension and power will remain stock for a while. Should be interesting...

Tom

NO 5 OH
11-26-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by 98banana
Iyou do know I was just kidding right about the Cobra vs vette thing?

Now now Tom... remember that smack talking in this forum can lead to bad things happening :rotf: :rotf: :D :D

I posted a pic in the lounge of the "do it all 4 cylinder car" of how it looks right now... in mid restoration. If you get a chance to look at it please do so... I even mentioned your name now that I think about it ;) ;)

Shannon <--- was once in a major smack talk in this forum :)

98banana
11-26-2003, 01:58 PM
I saw the picture of your car. It reminded me a lot of the fox I was working on earlier this year.

I saw several SVO's at Road Atlanta last Saturday. Pretty dang fast cars!

Tom

johnbasf
11-26-2003, 06:13 PM
I found this on CC.com. David Farmer. This is a HUGE video....

http://www.metricchemical.com/AtlantaIncar2.asf

timz06
11-26-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by 98banana
I didn't see a smiley face on your reply... you do know I was just kidding right about the Cobra vs vette thing? I would love to have a Z06 as a track car. I just can't afford it. :(

Sorry missed the smiley. I know this is all in fun.
:)

I'm not sure if I can afford to track the z06 either, but it is a waste to just drive it on the street. My reluctance to drive it now is to avoid sandblasting my paint, since I just got the rockers and fenders redone.

NO 5 OH
11-26-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by 98banana
I saw the picture of your car. It reminded me a lot of the fox I was working on earlier this year.

I saw several SVO's at Road Atlanta last Saturday. Pretty dang fast cars!

Tom

Oh you haven't seen anything yet ;)

Nothing like hearing a 400+ rwhp four banger screaming around a track making left and right turns. It's really gonna be interesting to see the look on everybody's face when I lift my foot off the throttle and the REALLY LOUD blow off valve discharges about 25 psi of compressed air :D:D:D

Shannon

timz06
11-27-2003, 12:00 PM
SVO's are:cool: There is a guy here in atl that autox's one that does pretty well. I remember thinking they were way cool in high school, a rich kid down the street had one. I had a 79 cobra, pretty cool, 145 hp 302 stock.

John, are you going to get out on track this time at CMP and show me how it's done?

You guys put on a great event, only prob is the weather can be a bit nippy, I know Crag in I had to sit in our cars at the event 2 weeks later with the mustang club. It was raining and about 40, very nasty.

timz06
11-27-2003, 12:06 PM
Great pics, my friend is driving the shrinkwrapped yellow z06. I sent him the link, I'm sure he would appreciate the pics if you don't mind.

johnbasf
11-27-2003, 12:07 PM
I should have everythng done by the first of January. That will be my T&T weekend. Great videos on your site.

johnbasf
11-30-2003, 05:36 PM
Thomas, VIDEOS!!!!!!!!!

Phat-S
11-30-2003, 09:01 PM
http://www.planetmustang.com/Images/RA-11222003/DSC00200.JPG

Tom, about how far down the wall is this? I assume this is opposite the pit wall. I doubt that's my red below your yellow but you never know man ;)

thomasmoran1, is that CRX image (#18) from 10B? I don't think I've ever seen one take a wiz there :)

Out of curiosity, is it typical for schools to block the pit entrance (top entrance) with cones? Do you guys use the lower pit entrance? Maybe its just the video clips (doesn't appear you see the line of them until you crest the hill) but it looks like they are almost in the way (I guess its a better option than an unintentional ride down the outside ripple strip).

98banana
12-01-2003, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure the distances of where I hit, but here's a few reference shots. Both pictures are taken from the same place so they give a hint of where on the wall I hit.

http://www.planetmustang.com/Images/DSC00218.JPG

This pic was taken from the same spot. You can see where the start/finish line is for reference.

http://www.planetmustang.com/Images/DSC00220.JPG

Phat-S
12-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Ok, I probably made first contact closer to #2. It was raining so it wasn't flat out through 12 but faster than I could go through there in the rain as it turned out. The rear only started to step a bit before where the Mini is in the second pic. I was in a "too far to catch" slide by the time I crossed S/F but hadn't scrubbed really any appreciable speed at that point. I probably slid down the track from S/F at a 15 degree angle to the track eventually putting the left front bumper into the wall mid-way down the front straight. The left rear contacted only 15-25 yards further down (kinda brought the car to a grinding hault on that corner). The guys that helped me swap my tranny that morning were well past the ladder across from me where I was stopped. As it were, I got pretty lucky, the frame is still a wee bit tweaked (up front) and the front bumper (OE replacement)/hood/lights still don't sit real well (but good enough for a racecar) but at the end of the day, it was less than 1700 to fix and repaint the whole car IIRC.

You can probably extrapolate about where I made contacts by the 15 degree to track exit w/ it starting around S/F. It totally took me by suprise that you could lose it that late but alas, I'll just chalk it up to a lesson learned from RA in the rain :) Still my favorite track though.

johnbasf
12-01-2003, 05:31 PM
Adam, what are your times at RA? Your buddy told me you were in the 1:30's.

Phat-S
12-01-2003, 06:08 PM
Then he's pulling your leg John. Not anywhere near that. I got into the 45s (45.757) my last race there which was a pretty big jump for me. Sub-45 is next year's goal. 30's when I get that AIX ride ;)

johnbasf
12-01-2003, 06:27 PM
45's is flying bud!! Please send me your race schedule for next year so I can come and support you like you do us. :thumbsup: