PDA

View Full Version : weird miss or something

1-QIK-SNK
11-24-2003, 10:13 AM
This is on my 96. It dose not do it all the time.
Im driving normal in 5th gear and give it a little gas and it start to miss or sputter at 1/2 throttle. Down shift and hammer it and all goes away. Start in 1st gear and hammer it and it wont do it. Or when you take off from a stop(slow) and it feels like a little miss, but comes right out of it.

Like I said it dose not do it all the time it has been a come and go thing. It started a couple of weekes ago. I replaced the plugs and I have good FMS wires. The timming it set at 13 deg. but The timming adjuster has been on since July and 4 months later it is doing this. I dont think it is that.

Just yesterday i left the stop light and went about 100 yard and turned into blockbuster, and from the stop light to the store it did it. Went inside and come out later(about 10 min) and left and went to the back of the store and reved it up a couple of times and took off and it all quit. This is weird.

Do you think it is time to have a dyno tune? It is about 58k miles on the car. I keep everything changes regularly.

Anything you think I might try let me know. Anything big it will have to wait till next year. Its starting to get cold here is Ohio.

Thanks Kerry Miller

tcrews
11-24-2003, 01:32 PM
How long since you replaced the plug wires? I had a miss that was intermittent and it turned out to be my plug wires (MSD 9mm).

1-QIK-SNK
11-24-2003, 03:24 PM
3 years this past Oct. but no more then 4k miles.
My wires are FMS and bought them from Steeda

tcrews
11-24-2003, 07:05 PM
That'd be the next thing I'd check then. FMS wires aren't known to be that great to start with and even though the mileage is low the time has still passed and aged the wires. My wires started doing the miss at about 3 years as well.

1-QIK-SNK
11-25-2003, 09:51 AM
Would you go back with FMS wires? What are some other good ones? I don't want to pay more for the FMS wire at least I hope.
Im going to a all for swap meet in Columbus this weekend maybe I can get some there

tcrews
11-25-2003, 04:12 PM
I like MSD wires, FMS will do if nothing else is easily available. I'm running FMS right now until I can get some new ones (had to do a swap on the dyno).

Scott99Cobra
12-23-2003, 12:39 PM
I had a similar issue with my '99. Sometimes, between shifts I would have a "dead" spot. If I just stompped on it, it was fine. I replaced the fuel filter and the problem went away. I only have 13K, but it must have sat a lot and gunked up the filter. Anyway, you might give that a try - it won't cost much.

1-QIK-SNK
12-23-2003, 01:13 PM
I ended up putting my stock wires back on and did not miss or surge once(about 70 miles) so far. Although I wont be able to drive it since there is all this salt is on the road here is Ohio.

White Venom
12-23-2003, 02:38 PM
it could also be your independant runner control module, it can cause a miss

1-QIK-SNK
12-23-2003, 03:08 PM
What is a independant runner control module?
And where is it located?
Is there a way to tell if it is bad?

tcrews
12-23-2003, 08:50 PM
I think he means your Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) that open at 3250 rpm to allow air to enter the secondary ports on the heads.