PDA

View Full Version : 96-98 Cobra Hood


1Red95Snake
12-02-2003, 02:56 PM
I'm being told by someone on eBay that the 96-98 SVT Cobra factory hood is made out of fiberglass. I was under the impression that they are steel. I do know that there are some aftermarket companies producing fiberglass ones. So, any of you 96-98 owners out there want to tell me what the factory hood on yours is made out of I would appreciate it.

Mark The Mailman

STANGBUM
12-02-2003, 03:17 PM
They are made of fiberglass:)

1Red95Snake
12-02-2003, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! Now if you would answer a couple more questions I have. How is the quality of them as far as smoothness, warpage, cracking, ect? How are they at high speeds for vibration and wanting to fly off?

Thanks Again,

Mark The Mailman

98banana
12-02-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by 1Red95Snake
Thanks for the quick reply! Now if you would answer a couple more questions I have. How is the quality of them as far as smoothness, warpage, cracking, ect? How are they at high speeds for vibration and wanting to fly off?

Thanks Again,

Mark The Mailman

The one I had was perfectly straight and I've never heard any problems with them where warpage and cracking are concerned. Mine didn't hold up to well when I hit the wall at Road Atlanta though. :D

One thing to keep in mind is the weak hood latch on all Mustangs, not just Cobras. I've heard of many people having their hoods pop up at high speeds. It happened to me on the road course. I suggest hood pins.

Tom

1Red95Snake
12-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by 98banana
Mine didn't hold up to well when I hit the wall at Road Atlanta though. :D


One thing to keep in mind is the weak hood latch on all Mustangs, not just Cobras. I've heard of many people having their hoods pop up at high speeds. It happened to me on the road course. I suggest hood pins.

Tom
OUCH!!:eek::jawdrop:

I was hoping to stay away from hood pins, never have much cared for them. :flush:

98banana
12-03-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by 1Red95Snake
I was hoping to stay away from hood pins, never have much cared for them. :flush:

Let's see what others say about the pop up problem. I know that mine popped up at about 90mph and the car was doing a lot of turning at the time. The tweaking of the frame may have played a part. I know of others that popped up at 120+. The safety latch worked in all the cases I know about so maybe it's not a big deal.

And again, I don't think it's a problem with the Cobra hood only. It involves all of the Mustang hoods.

1Red95Snake
12-03-2003, 11:56 AM
I don't think it is a problem on the 94-95's because they used the generic Mustang hood on them which is all steel and heavy. I've had an aftermarket fiberglass hood on mine before and cringed as I drove over 50 MPH and watched it start vibrating and shaking around as I went faster. I was always waiting for it to pop up and fly off going down the freeway at 70-80 MPH!!:eek: :bounce:

I'm wanting to change my hood and rear bumper cover from the generic Mustang ones to the Cobra specific ones on the 96-98's because for one, THAT is what Ford should have done in the first place!! Two they look WAY better. I just don't want to spend all the money on a hood like I did with the aftermarket one I had before, and find out that it's a POS and not like it!!

98banana
12-03-2003, 01:07 PM
You would love the 96-98 hood. I never saw mine move in the slightest and I had that car up to ~135 many times on the track. I put on hood pins after the pop up incident, but still never saw any shaking before or after that.

And I would agree to it's looks. I like that hood better than any of the Cobra hoods except maybe the '00 R hood.

1Red95Snake
12-03-2003, 01:15 PM
Totally agree:thumbsup:

If the 00R would fit on mine, that's the one I'd be getting!

Thanks for all of your input!! If anyone else has something to add here, by all means, go for it!

lifeat26psi
12-04-2003, 02:19 PM
I hit 145 for about 15 seconds on the Jersey Turnpike, and i didnt see any shaking whatsoever, but thanks for scaring the **** out of me because of that pop up thing.

98banana
12-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by lifeat26psi
I hit 145 for about 15 seconds on the Jersey Turnpike, and i didnt see any shaking whatsoever, but thanks for scaring the **** out of me because of that pop up thing.

LOL! A little fear goes a long way. Better to be scared now than have it actually happen. :D

lifeat26psi
12-04-2003, 10:01 PM
im telling u now, i wouldnt be typing this now if my hood opened.

tnturbo
12-04-2003, 11:12 PM
If it is really a Ford hood and not an aftermarket knockoff I wouldn't worry at all. There are tons of Cobras running around with them and plenty at the track. At high speeds, the weight difference in a steel of fiberglass hood isn't going to make ANY difference in the tendancy to fly away.

lifeat26psi
12-04-2003, 11:25 PM
ok, for my own mental welfare, does anybody on this board, had this happen to them, or know someone who had this happen to them, cause i speed a lot on highways, having my hood fly up is a pretty shitty way to die.

98banana
12-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by lifeat26psi
ok, for my own mental welfare, does anybody on this board, had this happen to them, or know someone who had this happen to them, cause i speed a lot on highways, having my hood fly up is a pretty shitty way to die.

Well, the only way you will "die" from a hood flying up is if the safety latch doesn't catch it and if you panic. The hood's not attached to the front wheels, so just hold the steering wheel straight if it happens.

Now, to answer your question, it happened to me at Road Atlanta (the safety latch caught the hood though) and it happened to a friend in Columbia, John Poe, and the safety latch caught his too. I've heard of a few others as well but have never heard of the safety latch not working.

And I mean this in the nicest way: bring the car to a track if you feel the need to speed. The highway is not the place for that. I spend A LOT of time on the highway and would prefer not to be killed by a speeding mustang.

1Red95Snake
12-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by 98banana


And I mean this in the nicest way: bring the car to a track if you feel the need to speed. The highway is not the place for that. I spend A LOT of time on the highway and would prefer not to be killed by a speeding mustang.

I totally agree, the track is the place to do your speeding!! To go along with what 98banana also said, I too have never heard of someone's hood actually flying up all the way without the safety catch stopping it! There is however a slim chance that it could happen, more so with an aftermarket hood than a factory one. If your in doubt, install hood pins and your worries are gone!!!:thumbsup:

lifeat26psi
12-05-2003, 06:33 PM
i dont speed every five minutes.
this was an empty night around exit 5 on jersey turnpike, and i wanted to top out my fourth, if i was dying, i would be alone, the last thing i like doing is sacrificing other people. I do race on the track, when i did that 145 pull, it was when i first got the car and wanted to see its capabilities.

Im also sure that you guys arent perfect little angels on the street.

98banana
12-05-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by lifeat26psi
i dont speed every five minutes.
this was an empty night around exit 5 on jersey turnpike, and i wanted to top out my fourth, if i was dying, i would be alone, the last thing i like doing is sacrificing other people. I do race on the track, when i did that 145 pull, it was when i first got the car and wanted to see its capabilities.

Im also sure that you guys arent perfect little angels on the street.

That's cool... I was just speaking to your comment that you "speed a lot on highways". I've got no problem with you or anybody else doing 145 on the highway as long as it's deserted like you said and there is absolutely no risk of somebody else being hurt.

And yes, I am a perfect little angel on the road. I take pride in obeying the law and save the real fun stuff for a controlled environment. If I ever go more than 5-10 over the posted limit on the interstate, it's not on purpose or I'm trying to get out of somebody's way. On any other roads, I drive the speed limit. And I obey every other law on the books because I know they are there for a reason and traffic would flow much smoother if everybody would do the same thing.

lifeat26psi
12-06-2003, 12:21 AM
my friend, u are a better man than i.

28 Fangs
12-06-2003, 06:38 AM
Red Snake..there already is a y2kR hood available for the Sn-95 Cobras.....:thumbsup:

1Red95Snake
12-06-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by lifeat26psi


Im also sure that you guys arent perfect little angels on the street.

Okay, okay so most of the time I drive 10 miles over, but everything else, except for an occasional burnout:burnout: :D is on the up and up!! I start cringing when I go more than 10 over because my pocket can't handle how deep the courts like to dig in it. Plus where I live you have to also be on the lookout for deer and elk running out in front of you! They can do some major damage in a hurry. Stay safe and at least half way sane!!:thumbsup:

Mark The Mailman

1Red95Snake
12-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by 28 Fangs
Red Snake..there already is a y2kR hood available for the Sn-95 Cobras.....:thumbsup:
REALLY , speak to me, tell me where I can view it and possibly purchase one!!:bounce:

28 Fangs
12-06-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by 1Red95Snake
REALLY , speak to me, tell me where I can view it and possibly purchase one!!:bounce:

Just pick up your closest 5.o rag...they already have a few companies making them...

here's alink to one of a few...linky. (www.abcexclusive.com) :D

lifeat26psi
12-06-2003, 05:38 PM
wow, i definately like the CR800 R2000 Hood for the sn-95's. Does anybody have any pics of that hood on an sn95'? Its the 00' cobra R hood style, double raise with the large center slits in the back of the hood.