PDA

View Full Version : More info from Ford...BAD NEWS!

Ken 01-Cobra
12-05-2003, 01:42 PM
I just got a call from a very reliable source inside Ford that the SVT program will be killed immediately. The official announcement should come next week. There will be no more SVT Cobra's or Lightnings! For now, there is no indication of what Ford is going to do to maintain a "performance" line of vehicles...perhaps they think the ST stuff will suffice.

Looks like yet ANOTHER stupid decision by Ford!

Mephisto
12-05-2003, 04:05 PM
I think they plan to kill the SVT name from the cobra just because they plan to relpace it with "Shelby" again. I don't know if they will kill all other cars such as focus and lightning but that is a possibility for sure.

cobrabitn
12-05-2003, 04:17 PM
Does this guy have proof? Why would they do that?

Ken 01-Cobra
12-05-2003, 04:42 PM
The proof will be next week I guess.

I did confirm that my dealer got this call today around 11:00 AM. I have not confirmed that we all agree and understand what is being said, yet.

Ken 01-Cobra
12-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Mamba
I think they plan to kill the SVT name from the cobra just because they plan to relpace it with "Shelby" again. I don't know if they will kill all other cars such as focus and lightning but that is a possibility for sure.
The Focus had already been axed for future production. I will get you more information as I have it, but I guess we will just need to wait until Ford makes an announcement one way or the other next week.

cobrabitn
12-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Well, that makes no sense to me???:confused: :getsome:

Why would you start up an owners association only to kill the entire program?

Bad Pony
12-06-2003, 12:18 AM
"Late in the week of November 17, Tom Scarpello, SVT sales and marketing manager, notified all SVT and SVT Focus dealers that the 2004 model year will be the last year of production for the current generation of SVT products. Production of the Cobra, Lightning and SVT Focus will end during the second quarter of the 2004 calendar year. In addition, he informed them that there will be no 2005 model year versions of the Cobra, Lightning or SVT Focus.

“The rollout of the next generation SVT Mustang Cobra and SVT F-150 Lightning,” Scarpello wrote in the letter informing the dealers of these actions, “will begin with the 2006MY (model year). At this time there are no plans to introduce an SVT-badged replacement for the SVT Focus. Information on the 2006MY SVT products will be released at a later date.”

At first blush, this would seem to be bad news for the Ford Special Vehicle Team and its partisans. However, Scarpello insists -- and his letter to the dealers reinforces the idea -- that this is merely a temporary interruption in and not a cancellation of the flow of SVT products.

“The SVT versions of the next generation products are on a standard development and launch timing plan—they have not been delayed,” Scarpello emphasized. “The actual timing of SVT derivatives is driven by the timing of the vehicle programs on which they are based. The timing of the 2006 model year SVT products is consistent with past practice. For example, the current SVT Focus was launched in the 2002 model year, two years after the Focus in the 2000 model year; the current Lightning in the 1999 model year, two years after the generation of the F-150 on which it is based.

“It is sheer coincidence,” he said, “that the changeovers for the F-150, Mustang and Focus occur very close to one another and thus will impact the availability of the SVT products derived from them all at the same time.”

Other evidence pointing to the health and longevity of the SVT program is contained in the letter to the dealers:
* The SVT dealer program will be in place and operational during the production hiatus to meet service and other needs of current SVT customers.
* Dealers will continue to receive SVT support, including the SVT InfoCenter (1-800-FORD-SVT), www.svt.ford.com, hands-on and web-based training for technicians and service advisors, and merchandising materials.
* The SVT Premium Service program and the SVT Owners Association will remain operational, and
* SVT will continue to maintain a presence at enthusiast events.

And, of course, there is the fact that Scarpello told the dealers that the 2006 model year will see a continuation of SVT production. He also contended that the 2006 models will be a noticeable step forward.

“The new platforms for the Mustang and the F-150,” he said, “will provide the opportunity to enhance not only the performance, but also the quality, craftsmanship, and overall refinement of the SVT product lineup. This, along with the unique expertise SVT has developed in over ten years of operation, will ensure the next generation of SVT products will be the most exciting ever, and will continue to dominate the performance landscape for many years to come.”

His “At the Apex” column in the upcoming Winter Issue of the SVT Enthusiast, Scarpello said, will provide SVTOA members with more information on what the shift to new product platforms will mean."

Enough said, lets not do "the sky is falling routine" shall we?

Ken 01-Cobra
12-06-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Bad Pony
Enough said, lets not do "the sky is falling routine" shall we?
First off, I was passing along some info I got from a reliable source...not doing a "sky is falling routine".

Secondly, marketing BS is just that...or haven't you noticed it changes from day to day? I've had that thrown at me three times today. If you wish to believe this proves something, that is your right. I guess I should have just waited until next week and see what develops instead of posting this. It ain't worth having to defend it. It will either happen, in which case my source was right; or it won't, in which case he goes to a "usually reliable source". Up to now, everything he has told me has come to pass.

grumpynlovinit
12-06-2003, 12:26 PM
Killing the SVT line just makes my Cobra worth more in the future.....:D The last of the line....maybe??

I can live with that. Too many of them out there now as it is!

Bad Pony
12-06-2003, 01:13 PM
No offense but I just think your "source" is reading more into it than there really is. It doesn't make sense that only 3 weeks after they make the announcements about the 06 Cobra and Lightning in the above statement would they yank the plug on the entire program. Maybe the SVT name will be gone but I doubt any more than that

cobrabitn
12-06-2003, 01:17 PM
Why would the SVT name be gone? If they want to build a Shelby then why not call it a Shelby Cobra just like they did in the 60's? You can still have an SVT Cobra but make a few "special edition" Cobras, very limited production. Add graphics, a few performance boosters, and market that? That way the could have more parts to sell for others to clone them as they did in the 60's and today?

I guess we'll find out next week, right?:doubt:

kevin
12-06-2003, 10:18 PM
i just read in the recent autoweek (i think) that svt is being put on hold for the next year or so. the focus goes away and the next svt mustang will be 05. they will concentrate on higher end vehicles ( i'm guessing like the ford gt)