PDA

View Full Version : Octane

Scott99Cobra
12-05-2003, 07:04 PM
I was talking to Ford Racing today, and among other things, I asked him what the maximum octane rating was that would improve performance. He said that the motor could use up to 94. Just a FYI.

tcrews
12-05-2003, 10:54 PM
Octane won't improve performance at all. Well...if you are running too low an octane for your engine and getting detonation and the Cobra's knock sensors have been pulling timing to compensate, then putting in higher octane could see some performance improvements :)

Your "goal" is to run the LOWEST octane you can without pre-igntion/detonation/pinging. That's it.

The DOHC (stock) requires 'Premium Unleaded' which can be from 91-94 octane depending on where you live. Here, 93 octane is considered premium while in some states 91 octane is considered premium.

lifeat26psi
12-06-2003, 12:23 AM
i'm pissed, the gas station across the street from my house changed, they dont offer 94 anymore. Now i have to put 93 in both my supra and my cobra.:mad:

Scott99Cobra
12-08-2003, 03:11 PM
The highest octane I can get here is 92.

The impression I have always had is that the computer will adjust the timing up to a certain point to take advantage of a higher octane rating. From what the guy told me, I assume that the computer in a 99 Cobra will advance the timing as far as it can go using 94 octane before the engine begins to knock. Am I way off in this thinking? Should I just stick with 91 octane?