PDA

View Full Version : Banana meets Plasma Cutter


98banana
12-08-2003, 01:06 PM
I love my new plasma cutter. I decided that it was time to dispose of the banana so what better practice could I get than cutting the banana up into dumpster sized pieces. Well, here's some pictures of day 1...

WARNING: Not for weak hearts or weak stomachs...

http://www.bananamotorsports.com/Images/Banana/DSC00250.JPG

http://www.bananamotorsports.com/Images/Banana/DSC00252.JPG

http://www.bananamotorsports.com/Images/Banana/DSC00254.JPG

98BlueVert
12-08-2003, 01:16 PM
that's really sad.:(

smashedheadcat
12-08-2003, 03:31 PM
Ya know......... I probably would have PAID you some money for that car. I had no idea of your intentions as far as the banana was concerned. Anyway........ That almost brings a tear to my eye. :(

98banana
12-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by smashedheadcat
Ya know......... I probably would have PAID you some money for that car. I had no idea of your intentions as far as the banana was concerned. Anyway........ That almost brings a tear to my eye. :(

It wasn't worth anything except for maybe sentimental value. And I really have none of that so... :D

Anyway, I took everything of value out of it except for the pedal assembly which I'll take out before it gets trashed.

justagt
12-08-2003, 04:23 PM
makes me want a plasma cutter in a big way.

98banana
12-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by justagt
makes me want a plasma cutter in a big way.

This was fun to...

http://www.bananamotorsports.com/Images/Banana/DSC00257.JPG

svt_coupe
12-08-2003, 05:29 PM
Tom - Are the front and rear bumpers in decent shape? If so, can you keep the rear front and rear bumpers somewhat structurally sound, but take as much weight out of them as possible? For example, the rear bumper has a double-walled section that can be COMPLETELY removed. I'd pay you for the lightened versions...

If you can leave the mounts for the foglights there, score.

Also, not sure how "welded" in place the tranmission cross member tabs (that mount to the frame rails) are. If in your quest to cut the Rotten Banana into more manageable dumpster size pieces and happen to find out that cutting those tabs out of the frame rails will make the transfer to the dump easier... :D :D

98banana
12-08-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by svt_coupe
Tom - Are the front and rear bumpers in decent shape? If so, can you keep the rear front and rear bumpers somewhat structurally sound, but take as much weight out of them as possible? For example, the rear bumper has a double-walled section that can be COMPLETELY removed. I'd pay you for the lightened versions...

If you can leave the mounts for the foglights there, score.

Also, not sure how "welded" in place the tranmission cross member tabs (that mount to the frame rails) are. If in your quest to cut the Rotten Banana into more manageable dumpster size pieces and happen to find out that cutting those tabs out of the frame rails will make the transfer to the dump easier... :D :D

Both bumpers are bent with the front being totally destroyed. The back may be okay. I'll keep it for you to look at.

I'm actually planning on keeping the floor as a SFC test rig, but if I can cut out the tranny mounts without destroying them, you're welcome to them.

Tom

johnbasf
12-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by svt_coupe
can you keep the rear front and rear bumpers :D :D

Where is the "rear front" bumper??

smashedheadcat
12-08-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by 98banana
It wasn't worth anything except for maybe sentimental value. And I really have none of that so... :D

Anyway, I took everything of value out of it except for the pedal assembly which I'll take out before it gets trashed.

It didn't look "that" bad IIRC, but you're the boss. If you say it's toast, then it's toast. :)

98banana
12-09-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by smashedheadcat
It didn't look "that" bad IIRC, but you're the boss. If you say it's toast, then it's toast. :)

It may have been okay if it still had the running gear under it, but all that has been sold. As a bare body, it wasn't worth anything at all. The front was destroyed and the rear was pretty bad as well. Would have been too large of a project for anybody to tackle when a body in white is available at reasonable costs.

justagt
12-09-2003, 09:40 AM
Come on, John, you call yourself a racer and you don't know where the rear front bumper is???? It is just ahead of the front rear bumper and in between the left right and right left frame rails. Way to go, 'racer'. Jeez.......... :cool:

98banana
12-09-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by justagt
Come on, John, you call yourself a racer and you don't know where the rear front bumper is???? It is just ahead of the front rear bumper and in between the left right and right left frame rails. Way to go, 'racer'. Jeez.......... :cool:

Hey Will... change of subject here...

I talked to somebody that met you at the FFR Cobra event at CMP: my cousin Danny, who's building the FFR Cobra on my web site, and his girlfriend Leah. They told me they had met somebody that knows me and he was "really, really nice." I thought it may have been you, but they threw me with the nice thing! :D

Anyway, the most interesting part of the learning about this is that they said you got to drive a Daytona Coupe on the course! When were we going to hear about this? :thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
12-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by 98banana
It may have been okay if it still had the running gear under it, but all that has been sold. As a bare body, it wasn't worth anything at all. The front was destroyed and the rear was pretty bad as well. Would have been too large of a project for anybody to tackle when a body in white is available at reasonable costs.

I still would've taken it off of your hands. :D

justagt
12-09-2003, 02:35 PM
Nice, huh?? Must have been another.

Actually I spent a long time talking to Leah. Isn't she thinking of getting one of the FFR Roadsters? I got to drive that too a little on some slow laps. Not a bad car really. I liked it and think it would be a ton of fun on the street.

Yeah, I forgot , but I did get to drive the coupe. Ever go fishing and sit in the back of the boat with the bow WAY out front?? That is kind of what it reminded me of with the long nose on it.

Jeff Collins of Whitby Motors asked me to take him on a few hot laps in it since I know the track. It was a lot of fun to drive. Street tires, stock Mustang brakes and pads, and a 351 made it interesting. The inside was tight with the side windows in so we ran the AC while out there.
:rolleyes: But I had a blast driving it. The acceleration was slower than what I thought it would be, but I think my car has spoiled me a little bit.

The event , which was sposored by Whitby and Cobra Earl's FFR Accsessories, went off great and was VERY laid back. Anybody looking for an average cost event with a TON af track time needs to go next year when they do it again.

98banana
12-09-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by justagt
Nice, huh?? Must have been another.

Actually I spent a long time talking to Leah. Isn't she thinking of getting one of the FFR Roadsters? I got to drive that too a little on some slow laps. Not a bad car really. I liked it and think it would be a ton of fun on the street.

Yeah, I forgot , but I did get to drive the coupe. Ever go fishing and sit in the back of the boat with the bow WAY out front?? That is kind of what it reminded me of with the long nose on it.

Jeff Collins of Whitby Motors asked me to take him on a few hot laps in it since I know the track. It was a lot of fun to drive. Street tires, stock Mustang brakes and pads, and a 351 made it interesting. The inside was tight with the side windows in so we ran the AC while out there.
:rolleyes: But I had a blast driving it. The acceleration was slower than what I thought it would be, but I think my car has spoiled me a little bit.

The event , which was sposored by Whitby and Cobra Earl's FFR Accsessories, went off great and was VERY laid back. Anybody looking for an average cost event with a TON af track time needs to go next year when they do it again.

Yeah, they both spoke highly of the event.

Leah IS building one of the new Spyder GT kits. That's where my Cobra motor from the banana will be residing.

wildhorsesracin
12-15-2003, 03:29 PM
originally posted by 98banana:
my cousin Danny, who's building the FFR Cobra on my web site, and his girlfriend Leah.

That statement brought back memories of the movie 'Weird Science'... :eek: