PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report from MSR - Dec. 6-7

Andy M
12-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Folks,

As some of you know, a few of us (4 to be exact) SCMC'ers took a trip for some big time fun (the rest of you can eat your hearts out!! ;) ) this past weekend. We attended an open track event at Motorsport Ranch in Cresson TX, located approximately 20 miles south of Fort Worth. For those of you unfamiliar with this facility, it is a purpose-built road course and is a FIRST class facility. VERY NICE!! The track surface is smooth as glass, full of very fun off camber turns, is very technical, and the facilities are FIA caliber!

Myself, Joe J, David and Stan met up on the north side of Houston around 8am on Friday morning to make the trip. The weather was absolutely picture perfect (you northerners can also eat your hearts out!! HEHE!!). We arrived at the track around 1pm. Just in time to watch a few Panoz cars take some laps around the track. Very nice cars. Basically, purpose built race cars which are very fast!! We then unloaded the vehicles and spent time getting everything ready for Saturday morning.

We arrived early at the track on Saturday morning. It was cold (at least for TX) at around 28 degrees. However, there were no clouds within a 500 mile radius and it warmed up rather nicely to about 50-55 degrees by lunch time - perfect track weather!!!!

David and I were placed in the yellow run group (in the middle of the pack), Joe was running in red with all the rest of the fast guys, and Stan was in the Blue group, one step above novice. David and I were able to play a bit during one of the sessions. Stan was thrilled that he had a great instructor, as did David. Joe started the day with a leaking radiator cap (a known issue on the 2000 R cars!) but I had a used one in my "backup" parts box that I keep inside my trailer. I ran in the yellow run group for the first three sessions, then they bumped me up to red with Joe and he and I had a thrilling session late in the day... OH WHAT FUN IT WAS!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Sunday was another picture perfect day, only a little warmer temps, BUT the wind was a little stronger making it feel a bit cooler than on Saturday. We each ran our 2 sessions on Sunday, but I was lucky enough to get in 3 sessions, as I asked the event coordinator if I could get in an extra session since I was leaving early.

All went well until I finished my 3rd session just before lunch. We all ate lunch together and then as I proceeded to rotate my tires to get ready for my final session after lunch, I noticed that my brand new race pads on the drivers side in front were worn down to the rivets!!! :eek: :( Well, after some deliberation, I decided that I was not going to risk having a major catastrophe with a brake problem on the track, so I proceeded to begin loading up to shove off. Then, as Joe was returning from his 3rd session (right after lunch), he informed us his right front wheel hub assembly was shot and needed replacing. I went into my spare parts bin in my trailer and sure enough, I had a spare one sitting in a box. So, while I prepared my car for loading, Joe proceeded to change his hub.

Stan, myself and David left the track at around 3pm, but Joe decided to stay behind (luck dog - he didn't have to work on Monday!!) to run a final forth session.

I will post the pictures I took with my digital camera as soon as I can. I need to save them in a lower resolution for posting. I also have some great in-car as well as track side video of all of us during the weekend, and I will post some video clips somewhere as soon as I can. There is some great video of David's Cobra and my R coming down the front straight at full throttle. I also have some fantastic footage taken during Joe's and my 3rd session from Saturday when we were carving up the competition.

Many thanks to David (his son Michael), Stan, and Joe for making this a most memorable SCMC adventure! We sure had some serious fun!! The rest of you missed one hellavu good time!

Andy M
12-09-2003, 06:40 AM
here is the shot of me and the Viper out playing... he was of course BEHIND me!! ;)

Firme
12-09-2003, 07:57 AM
great post Andy, I'm still pissed I didn't get to make it this time :(

I will be posting the pictures up on the website in the next couple of days. If you get me the video, I will throw that up on the site as well.

:thumbsup:

Levi
12-09-2003, 12:33 PM
I had the time of my life, Thanks to David, Andy and Joe.
Andy kept the Vipers in line, David eat's up Porsche's, Joe passed everthing like it was standing still and I gave the BMW's a run for there money.
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/12/57dsc_6340a.jpg

Shane
12-09-2003, 12:36 PM
I like that pic viper on the R have to love that i would.Well nice pic andy :thumbsup:

johnbasf
12-09-2003, 04:14 PM
Great write up Andy!! I can't wait to see the videos.:thumbsup:

03 cobra toy
12-09-2003, 06:59 PM
What a great trip :thumbsup: Can't wait for the next event!! March I think we were talking about MSR..Than May Hallet... All you SCMC members start saving your $$ so you can go with us to the next events....We would like to see more members on the track taking names and kicking butt :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Andy M
12-10-2003, 07:04 AM
Ditto on what David said!!

The rest of you need to begin saving now to do a couple of events with us next year! It would be a hoot to go back to MSR with a huge SCMC contingency! We could even display our SCMC banner on the side of my trailer!

Ok, here is what I am planning:

March - MSR
May - Hallet in OK

in between - maybe one event during the week at TWS

then, the SCMC track event at TWS in October!! Don't forget that one!!!

Bingo13
12-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Andy,

How does your car handle in the "rattlesnake"? I still have a little annoying understeer on the second apex. I am thinking about going to 450lb fronts on the coilovers for this track. I hope to see everyone in March.

Stan,

You should have written, I could have come out there. ;)

Levi
12-10-2003, 10:33 AM
David and Andy hit the nail on the head.

Come on you SCMCers lets get this going for the March MSR event and start the year off with a bang. It's a blast running at this track, it's smooth, it's technicial and it's fast. You will not hit the speeds we hit at TWS, but it's not as hard on you car ether. The people that run these events are top notch and the MSR facility is one awesome place.:thumbsup:

Levi
12-10-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Bingo13
Andy,

How does your car handle in the "rattlesnake"? I still have a little annoying understeer on the second apex. I am thinking about going to 450lb fronts on the coilovers for this track. I hope to see everyone in March.

Stan,

Dude,

I thought you where coming out....... Really, our I would of dropped you a line,,,,, for sure.

and I may need to move from progressive rate springs to something heavyer.

03 cobra toy
12-10-2003, 10:56 AM

Stan,

Bingo13
SCMC Member

Vehicle:
Member #:
I should be there. I still have to tame the rattlesnake with this pig.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-15-2003 02:55 AM

I thought you were going also.....Sorry about that Gary

Bingo13
12-10-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by 03 cobra toy
Bingo13

I should be there. I still have to tame the rattlesnake with this pig.

I thought you were going also.....Sorry about that Gary

I'm old and forget things easily. :D
I just started a new job and my world has been upside down. I should have placed the event on my PDA. I was open that weekend and now I know why. Sorry about that guys (really kicking myself in the arse now).
I will be in there in March, the wife has approved a full race schedule for next year. The problem is there are not any good Mustang shops up here.

03 cobra toy
12-10-2003, 11:26 AM
No problem.....:thumbsup: Do you have a bigger front sway bar?? If you don't I would get the steeda sb before you get stronger springs...

Carl G
12-10-2003, 02:14 PM
:) :thumbsup: I'm coming back sooooooon!!!!! Cant wait, you guys are have to much fun. ;)

JoeJ
12-10-2003, 02:35 PM
Hey Guys,

My oh my but I had a blast last weekend. What at great bunch of guys to go racing with. I had a few mechanical problems but with the help of Andy, the Cobra R ran every session.

I want to thank David for letting me drive his 03 Cobra. Man what a car. It sure felt more nimble than the R with the suspension that he has. I think I was turning faster times in it than with the R. I ran one session with Andy in the R group and did we kick some butt....lol..those F body cars didn't know what hit them!!!!

I had an interesting event happen to me on the last session on Sunday. The grid marshal asked if I would take a 13 yr old boy for a ride in the white group...His mother come over and took pictures prior to the start of the session but she sure didnt want any when we came in. Man, does anyone know how to take the smell of puke out of a car...lol.. As I pulled in after the session, I looked over and he was still upchugging. What a mess, he filled up his helmet with the visor closed and all down his chest and his lap was full..He never say a word during the session but I guess I may have tossed him around a bit as I was trying to stay up with an AI Mustang and a bunch of Turbo Porsches. Oh well, I guess that is all a part of open tracking.

Hope we can get a bunch more of the SCMC group to come out and play after the first of the year.

Everyone have a great Holiday and stay safe:) :)

Bingo13
12-10-2003, 02:51 PM
No problem.....:thumbsup: Do you have a bigger front sway bar?? If you don't I would get the steeda sb before you get stronger springs...

I have the Steeda unit along with 425lb coils up front with the race spec MM Bilsteins. I am switching over to the Griggs K-Member shortly and maybe a 5.4L DOHC with custom work if we can get the cams/intake items matched. Until then the car just does not feel right on the short courses when doing a right/left/right combo. I am fine before the 'rattlesnake' section and exiting into 'wagonwheel' but in the middle the car really understeers. I have tried several entrance/exit combos without success, maybe I just suck at driving. ;)

97CasperCobra
12-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by JoeJ
Man, does anyone know how to take the smell of puke out of a car...lol..

OMG!!! I would have wanted to kill him, but I guess he can't stomach the harsh ride. I know during the ride with Dana in her 355, I started to get a little "queasy", but only b/c it was so hot in that car with the engine right behind you. Guess we should all put a warning on our cars now so this doesn't happen to us.

Sorry to hear Joe, Febreze the hell out of that car. Or just sneak over to Andy's an swap with him...i'm sure he'll never know. :thumbsup:

Admiral
12-12-2003, 07:35 AM
Hey JoeJ/Andy,

Glad to hear you enjoyed MSR backwards, I've never done it clockwise. Are you all going back to MSR with the NASA HPDE event on March 6-7? It would be cool to load the paddock with all of the SCMC Cobras and Mustangs along with the NASA AI/CMC group!

Regards,
Mike Bell

03 cobra toy
12-12-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Admiral
Hey JoeJ/Andy,

Glad to hear you enjoyed MSR backwards, I've never done it clockwise. Are you all going back to MSR with the NASA HPDE event on March 6-7? It would be cool to load the paddock with all of the SCMC Cobras and Mustangs along with the NASA AI/CMC group!

Regards,
Mike Bell

Welcome to the board Mike :thumbsup:

FYI guys... maybe we can see what dates work with everyone...Jan-Feb I'm out to cold for me and I need to do some things to my car. But March it's on!!!

David

NASA 2004 schedule
MSR March 6-7
TWS April 3-4
MSR June 5-6
MSR July 10-11
Hallett August 14-15
TWS Sept 25-26

The Driver's Edge 2004 Schedule and SCMC
Motorsport Ranch February 07 & 08 Clockwise
Texas World Speedway March 06 & 07
Motorsport Ranch April 17 & 18
Hallet Ok. Porsche DE May 1 & 2
Texas World Speedway June 12 & 13 Clockwise
Texas World Speedway October 09 & 10
Texas World Speedway October 16 &17 (SCMC)
Texas World Speedway November 13 & 14 Clockwise
Motorsport Ranch December 04 & 05

Admiral
12-12-2003, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, glad to be here.

MSR last August had many Mustangs and a couple of F-Bodies pitted together for the AI/CMC event. With a bunch of you SCMC types there it would be a fantastic site to see in the paddock area!

I know NASA would appreciate the support as well. Not knocking any other DE events, but with 6 NASA weekends for 2004 already, my bank account will already be drained so it would be unlikely that I could do a seperate event next year if the SCMC group decided that direction.

Either way, look forward to seeing some of you at the track!

Levi
12-12-2003, 12:07 PM
:thumbsup:

But March it's on!!!

David

OK, that's like one a month for ten months.

I will start with March and then try to do one a month, but for maybe July, Aug. and Sept. no way to hot.

Admiral, Welcome to the board.

Firme
12-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Glad to have you on the Board Mike...

Andy M
12-13-2003, 08:29 AM
Mike,

Welcome aboard man!!!!!

Andy M
12-13-2003, 08:31 AM
I have the Steeda unit along with 425lb coils up front with the race spec MM Bilsteins. I am switching over to the Griggs K-Member shortly and maybe a 5.4L DOHC with custom work if we can get the cams/intake items matched. Until then the car just does not feel right on the short courses when doing a right/left/right combo. I am fine before the 'rattlesnake' section and exiting into 'wagonwheel' but in the middle the car really understeers. I have tried several entrance/exit combos without success, maybe I just suck at driving. ;) if it is understeering excessively, you have too much sway bar. Try a smaller sway bar. When doing heftier springs, you have to find a delicate balance between the springs and the sway bar.

Bingo13
12-20-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Andy M
if it is understeering excessively, you have too much sway bar. Try a smaller sway bar. When doing heftier springs, you have to find a delicate balance between the springs and the sway bar.

Thanks Andy. I also tried the 375lb springs with the stock sway bar, still had the same issue plus it seemed to push more. The weight on the front end of this car just plain sucks. ;)