PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Hop

1BADSNAKE
12-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Sorry for all of the threads!
I am new to this much power, that may help you understand.

1,st Gear begin rolling 15 to 20 mph / roll into it, 3000 rpm it begins to spin and just have to let out to stop the spin with 36 to 38 psi in rear tires accasional wheel hop. 30 to 32 psi same thing accept massive wheel hop. I may just need a driving lesson but it seems as though I can not use the power in1,st gear at all and if not carefull at 3500rpm in second it will break the tires. This car is stock the only change is Magnaflow cat back.
Any suggestions?

spittincobra01
12-15-2003, 10:32 PM
there is a few things you can do to reduce/stop wheel hop. First off lowering/stiffer rate springs (I recommend Kenny Brown). Second is wider wheels/tires. Stiffer shocks, polly or aluminum IRS bushings (again Kenny Brown) If you search this sites forums you will find quite a few threads on this topic. but also check out www.kennybrown.com

jjraiser
12-16-2003, 04:26 PM
The big problem you have (we all have) with wheel hop is due to the IRS. IRSs aren't really for drag-style starts in first gear (This is why the 2005 Mustang GT will have a solid axle according to Ford). IRS is more of a road racing set-up. The suggestions of spittincobra01 are spot on, but you'll still need to be aware of really aggressive throttle inputs in first gear.

1BADSNAKE
12-17-2003, 02:55 PM
Yea: looks like the only real cure would be a straight axle, There is a local shop here that offers an axle kit, a little pricy $3400 , and not ready to go there yet. Maybe after warenty runs out. Until then I guess I will just have to do some of these minor mods and live with it. I guess that will help me keep it closer to stock during the warenty period, hard to use the HP it has, sure don"t need more.Atleast not without resolving the traction issue.