PDA

View Full Version : Horsepower

steve
12-19-2003, 03:46 AM
What is the difference between actual horsepower and SAE. My dynotune guy said actual horsepower is really what is coming out at the rear wheels. He said he prefers actual HP numbers.

99 cobra 304rwhp, 296rwt, Maybe more after Bassani x-pipe with cats and Bassani cat-back.

Later
steve:D

spittincobra01
12-19-2003, 10:57 AM
I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in here. From what I understand about this topic (and correct me if I'm wrong) but a quick answer is that SAE numbers are corrected for temperature, humidity, etc. Usually the actual numbers are higher than SAE but SAE are more of an accurate average of what the car will produce on different days at different dynos.

tcrews
12-19-2003, 11:14 AM
Actual horsepower it was you just put to the ground, right then, right now. Actual horsepower is affected by weather, altitude, humidity and will be different at almost any time (morning, afternoon, night, summer, spring, fall, winter, etc...).

SAE is your actual horsepower corrected to a standard measurement of altitude, temperature and humidity. This is what people use to compare thier numbers between others as someone at higher elevation will make less 'actual' power than someone at sea level. Same goes for someone in cooler weather vs. someone in hotter areas.

Actual is what you made when you dyno'ed......on that day, at that time. It is NOT a number you can use to compare to other peoples numbers.

SAE is what you want.

My 'actual' number was 599.x rwhp....but it was a cool morning in late February. My SAE is 570 rwhp.......but I don't claim I make 599 rwhp....because if I went back in the summer I'd be making a lot less 'actual' but technically my SAE number should be extremely close to what is was measured in the winter.

tcrews
12-19-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by spittincobra01
Usually the actual numbers are higher than SAE but SAE are more of an accurate average of what the car will produce on different days at different dynos.

That depends on when you dyno...dyno on a hot day (summer) and your actual numbers will be lower than your SAE numbers.
Dyno in the winter and your actual numbers will be higher than your SAE numbers....