PDA

View Full Version : Look

johnbasf
12-20-2003, 09:16 AM
I didn't know if everybody goes to Lounge or not so I thought I'd post this here. http://www.svtcobraclub.com/svtbbs2/showthread.php?threadid=5373

Firme
12-20-2003, 10:45 AM
We got a great bunch down here :thumbsup:

And I'm glad Danny is O.K.

Carl G
12-20-2003, 10:25 PM
Thanks for posting this john. I was there that day and it was good to see how things turned out for him. It could have been much worse. We all learned something from what happen to him could easily happen to us also. I want go back without roll bar in my convertible.

Firme
12-21-2003, 12:57 AM
John, I noticed Mitch mentioned that you can see Danny's tracks in my video. I have the video that we took right after the incident when we went out and looked at everything.. I think the tracks in my in car video that are visible aren't danny's.

Since we can't register on Corner Carver's can you let danny know that if he wants, I can upload the video of his tire marks...

Edmond

cobrabitn
12-21-2003, 01:58 AM
Why can't y'all register on CCs? :doubt:

Carl G
12-21-2003, 10:39 AM
I think the moderator suspended registration and want let new members sign on. That's the way that I read it.

Firme
12-21-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
Why can't y'all register on CCs? :doubt:

Al C
12-21-2003, 12:19 PM
Back in August the board's moderators decided to "raise the drawbridge" as a way to limit the summer influx of trolls and clowns who were invading the site. The lockdown was initially to be temporary but has been left in place. New members are being accepted through the "sponsor a newbie retard prgram". The program allows an existing member to sponsor a newbie by recommending them to a moderator.

97CasperCobra
12-21-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Al C
New members are being accepted through the "sponsor a newbie retard prgram". The program allows an existing member to sponsor a newbie by recommending them to a moderator.

Kinda ghey, but not my site. So basically someone sponsor me and I'll sponsor someone else, then so on..... :thumbsup:

Andy M
12-21-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by 97CasperCobra
Kinda ghey, but not my site. So basically someone sponsor me and I'll sponsor someone else, then so on..... :thumbsup: Mike,

I'd be happy to sponsor you man! Just say the word.

97CasperCobra
12-21-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Andy M
Mike,

Werd! :thumbsup:

03 cobra toy
12-22-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Andy M
Mike,

Me2 please :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Firme
12-22-2003, 12:39 PM
Let me get in on that Also :thumbsup:

Al C
12-24-2003, 01:40 AM
Johnbasf or Andy,

Would you post my reply to o0Dan0o's thread on Corner-Carvers. I'm a long time CC lurker but never joined the board before the lock down. Thanks - Al C

Dan, I was riding with you in the right seat during your off track adventure. First of all it is great to hear you have healed physically and have closed the financial loop.

You have asked for input on what happened. Both from a driving critique point of view and also because the concussion left your memory fuzzy. So here is my recap of the events as I remember them, perhaps it will fill in some of the missing pieces of your memoryÖÖ

I was the guy with the white 98 Cobra parked three bays down from you in the garage. Mike and Stan and their white Cobras were parked across from me on the other side of the garage. You and I chit chatted several times during the day about cars and driving open track. I was driving in the instructor run group even though I was not one of the event instructors. I had just finished the fourth and last session of the day in my car and walked over to the grid to see a friend off in the novice group. As the grid marshal was releasing cars onto the track there were calls for an instructor to ride with you. After a minute or so it appeared no instructors were available so I was asked if I would ride with you as a substitute instructor. I said yes and jogged back to my car to get my helmet and returned to your car. By that time all the other cars had left the grid as I was buckling in. I asked you if there were any areas of the track that were giving you trouble. You said not really anywhere in particular, that you were learning the track. We talked about taking it slow the first lap to warm the tires and not to worry about the other carís speed. We gave the grid marshal our thumbs up and he gave us a point to enter the track.

We accelerated down pit row to turn 1 and entered the track with no traffic in front or behind us. You accelerated inside of the blend line and moved to the outside to start you turn in for turn 2 and gave the corner worker a look. Turn 2 track out was executed well, turn 3 the same, turn 4 the turn in was a little late and we discussed it. Turn 5 you gave the corner worker a look and nailed the turn and set up 6 and nailed it perfectly as well. You accelerated at a moderate pace down the back straight and moved to the right side of the track for the turn in at 7. I would estimate your speed at turn in to have been around 85 after braking lightly. The apex at 7 was executed ok, neither early or late, left tires stayed out of the dirt and on the pavement. You lightly got back on the gas as you drove through the apex and towards track out, accelerating up the hill, using all the track by moving across to the outside right side at the end of turn 7. All appeared and felt to be executed in a smooth, controlled and routine manner. I did not feel the car pushing or getting loose from the right hand seat nor did I hear the tires complaining. You may have felt something else that I couldnít through the steering wheel.

As we got to track out we were near the edge of the pavement and the right tires went off slightly. Before I could say ďride it off straightĒ the back end came around counter clockwise. I donít know if you did but I suspect you nudged the wheel left to get the right tires back on the pavement. It is a natural reaction for most inexperienced drivers. Most who have significant track seat time have done it at least one time or another. I know as I have done it before after early apexing TWS turn 11 and the backend comes around almost instantly as your car did. In any case the car was now traveling in reverse at an angle across the track with tires screaming. We got to the other side of the pavement and went into the ditch and hit on the rear of the car causing it to pivot counter clockwise. The car was now sliding and spinning. The driverís side of the car may have hit the back of the ditch as continued to spin. It is hard to remember exactly beyond the blurred whirl. The slide and spin continued until the rim(s) with deflated tire(s) bit the dirt and the car rolled towards the passenger side. I remember seeing the world of green and brown spinning through the windshield but to me it seem like we only rolled once, maybe twice before the car came to rest shiny side up with the nose facing the ditch.

As the dust settled and I collected my wits I asked you if you were injured. You said you were ok. I unbuckled and got out of the car. Almost immediately the EMS crew arrived and they started to check us out. You were very woozy & groggy and they put you on a stretcher and into the back of the ambulance. The EMTs were asking you questions to see how aware you were. You knew your name but had no idea where you were. I got into the front of the ambulance for the ride to the hospital. As we pulled on the hwy you started to remember you had crashed your car. On the ride into the hospital the EMTs kept talking to you so you would not doze off. When we got to the emergency room they wheeled you away to an exam room. While we waited the EMTs filled out their paper work. After awhile the doc came out and said you were going to be ok, you had a mild concussion and would be sore for a while. The nurse said some other folks from the track had arrived as I was cleaning up in the menís room. The EMTís asked me if I needed a ride back to the track. I needed to pack up my gear so I took them up on their offer. When I got back to the track I learned from a SCMC member that Mike had called and talked with your parents and that they were in their way to College Station. I had to get back home that evening so I packed up my trailer and headed home so I could finish up before dark.

Besides being covered in dirt from head to toe my only injury was a sore neck that took two weeks to heal. We were both lucky to experience a rollover and come out with relatively minor injuries. Iím sorry that your car was totaled but it sounds like you have achieved a financially neutral happy ending. After such a rough time out on your second track event it is good to hear that you want to get back on the horse. I hope to see you at the track!

Al C

Firme
12-24-2003, 01:50 AM
John, you might also add this to CCs
==========================

I did not want to add this till I upload the tire mark video for Dan to see, but what Al says is in line with what I saw on the scene of the accident. I got there as Dan was being loaded onto the ambulence. The tire skid appeared to start on the straight between 7 and 8, as if the car dropped a tire setting up for the turn in on 8. That is what I recall, once the video is uploaded, it should clear things up a bit more.

Edmond

johnbasf
12-24-2003, 07:36 AM
Done Al.