PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Hop on 99 Cobra

rreid01
12-27-2003, 03:54 PM
My 1999 cobra convertible can exhibit some vicious wheel hop depending on the road surface I'm on. I understand Ford added center section stabilizer on 03 cobras that reduces this tendency. Does anyone know if this is true? Can the stabilizer be retro-fitted to a 99 and if so, where can I get one?

cobrabitn
12-27-2003, 07:21 PM
Save yourself some headache and go lower your car. The problem is in the height of the vehicle. I lowered my 99 1.5 inches and I lost all wheel hop on the street. I have little hop on the track, it's more like a skitter if you know what that is...lol. :rotf:

I bought a set of Kenny Brown lowering springs and recommend them for street applications. Your taste may vary!;)

rreid01
12-27-2003, 08:36 PM
OK, I've seen this on several other threads. What I don't understand is how it helps. Can someone explain?

thanks

cobrabitn
12-28-2003, 08:00 PM
All I can think of is a lower center of gravity, less travel for the wheels to go bouncing up and down. I really don't think an IRS brace makes a big difference. I did however put in a set of Steeda IRS bushings to eliminate bushing slop.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

;)

johnbasf
12-28-2003, 08:05 PM
http://maximummotorsports.com/irsbrace.asp I'm sure other vendors sell a similar product. This is FYI.

Racer_726
12-30-2003, 12:37 AM
That's the Ford brace, AKA FR500 brace. Standard equipment on the 2003 Cobra. Steeda sells it very cheap by the way (although they neglected to include all the shims)
http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/suspension/161_m_5030_f.jpg

The Cobra R uses poly diff bushings, and that along with the better shocks and stiffer springs eliminate wheel hop.

I seriously doubdt ride height has anything to do with it.

I have a 1999 IRS in my car, with Cobra R rear shock, MM 600# coilover springs, the FR500 brace, poly bushings, delrin LCA bushings, pinion angle adjustment... and no wheel hop whatsoever with either street tires or race tires.

Of all those items, the brace would alone minimize the wheel hop quite a bit from what i have learned, or the poly bushings, they both do the same thing.

Springs and shocks also help with control of wheel movement, so due to all of those factors, I have eliminated any sort of tendency for this phenomenon.

Dave

cobrabitn
12-30-2003, 08:58 AM
Whatever works for ya! ;)

Here is what I can tell you. I didn't put on a brace, I didn't change a shock, I didn't do anything but put on Steeda bushings and lower the car. I noticed you changed your springs too (did that lower the car?), maybe you didn't realize it but by lowering the car changed the pinion angle therefore affecting the "bind" in the drivetrain. I stand by my original post, lower the car and you will see the hop virtually disappear before your own eyes?

Again, you referred to springs in your last statement. Again, I ask are the springs you are referring to lower the car any? Why buy a brace when you don't need it? If you are going to suggest springs and they lower the car, then my origianl statement stands true.

I can't remember the guys website address but his last name is "lynch". Check out his site if someone posts the web address here and you will understand what I am talking about.

;)

Firme
12-30-2003, 10:21 AM
from what I have seen, there are 4 variables that contribute to wheel hop.
-springs (too low of a rate and they are too soft and allow hop)
-dampners(too low of a rate and they allow up-down travel too easily
-bushings (rubber are not sturdy)
-play in the differential.

to remedy this... do the following

-intall lowering spring with a higher rate than stock... at least 650lb-700lb rate
-put on some decent shocks to help dampen the oscillation
-install Steeda Differential Bushing to keep the differential from having too much play in the IRS craddle
-install IRS Brace (posted above)... this further secures the differential to the IRS to keep to make it sturdier
-install Maximum Motorsport IRS bushings to keep IRS sturdy on the body(very time consuming, and I will leave this as the last step)

The 03 brace is the cheapest I've seen
http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com/03Cobra.htm its 1/3 of the way down the page
http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com/PC_0278_small.JPG

People have had luck eliminating wheel hop by doing only part of the 5 things I mentioned. Do them in the order listed and stop when wheel hop is gone :) :thumbsup:

BadMoFo
12-31-2003, 06:03 PM
I have posted this question a few times on other sites, corral and stangnet and I have gotten this, add the 03 cobra irs brace and polyurathane bushings so I plan to do that. my car is lower due to springs and I still get wheel hop under heavy acceleration.

cobrabitn
12-31-2003, 06:23 PM
My car doesn't hop, it sizzles the tires. :rotf:

ausie
05-04-2004, 06:15 AM
The only time I get wheel hop is when I drop the clutch and going in a straigt line (also depends on the road surface too). Most of the time it does not happen, though I am planning on lowering the car a bit. Sometimes it hops, and most of the time it does not. Any reduction in the hop would be a good thing. The cobra is not the only vehicle that has that issue, Corvettes do it too.