PDA

View Full Version : Broke the Cobra AGAIN!

Big Daddy
01-04-2004, 12:34 AM
DAMN! I'm out on Patton Ave tonight and a ricer pulls up to me at a light and takes off so I let him have a car length and I let out the clutch easy then nail first, I start to spin so I shift to second and I continue to spin. I'm close to the rev limiter as I go by the ricer and I'm about to shift to third and I hear a bang and no gears. The clutch pedal still feels like it did before the banging noise but when I put it in gear and let out the clutch NOTHING.

SO who has ideas on what the hell I tore up? Would I loose all the gears in the tranny at once?? Could the clutch cable snap and I still have pedal feel (I don't think so but I'm fishing for what happened here)?? IF the clutch went out I wouldn't have any pedal and the pedal feels the same??? I'M LOST...HELP! :( :(

BOSSMAN
01-04-2004, 01:17 AM
Sounds like it could be a cluster gear in the transmission. If your clutch was gone the you would know by the feel of the pedal. Is the trans leaking ? I have seen some T-45's split the case when they break.

Big Daddy
01-04-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by BOSSMAN
Sounds like it could be a cluster gear in the transmission. If your clutch was gone the you would know by the feel of the pedal. Is the trans leaking ? I have seen some T-45's split the case when they break.

The case isn't leaking so I don't think I broke the case. BTW the '01's came with a 3650 not the T-45. So you think that means a new tranny or if I take it to Ford will they just rebuild it? I was wondering could it be something as simple as a universal joint and my drive shaft loop is keeping the drive shaft from hanging down? I'll have to get under the car tomorrow and see if the drive shaft is still attached at both ends! ;)

GeoSnake
01-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Did you figure out what broke yet? If it was the tranny, it's time that monster of yours gets a Viper-spec T-56! I hope it was something simple and you won't be down to long! My motor is out for a warranty rebuild at True Blue. With the success that Mark is having w/ the motors he has built, I'm getting really excited!

BOSSMAN
01-04-2004, 10:52 AM
With the kid of power you are making I wouldn't rebuild it. You should upgrade to a 6 speed, or a tremec TKO V2.0 from X2C Motorsports. They are built to handle over 1000 hp. This what I am planning on putting in my 67 sometime this year.

Big Daddy
01-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by BOSSMAN
With the kid of power you are making I wouldn't rebuild it. You should upgrade to a 6 speed, or a tremec TKO V2.0 from X2C Motorsports. They are built to handle over 1000 hp. This what I am planning on putting in my 67 sometime this year.

I was figuring that I should go with the T-56 and be done with it. I don't plan on making any more mods to add power except getting the tune dialed in and that is probably only good for 10-20 rwhp depending on the situation. I think the T-56 will work without having to modify to much else on the drivetrain.

White Venom
01-04-2004, 03:18 PM
wheni did this happen???? i was out last night and didn't see anybody. when i blew my tranny it happened in third gear but i only lost 3rd and 4th. I blew the shift fork.

STANGBUM
01-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Damn Greg,
You are just to rough on that Cobra:( But now would be the time to upgrade your transmission. (you can't hide money:D ;) )

redsnake99
01-04-2004, 08:36 PM
I'm extremely pleased with my 6-speed in my 99. Quieter than the stock one.

:thumbsup:

Big Daddy
01-05-2004, 12:45 AM
Well it appears to be inside the tranny I couldn't see anything broken on the underside of the car! :( So I guess I will be upgrading to the T56! I probably could get the Ford Dealer I bought the car from to warranty the stock one but I would be looking at replacing it again when I tear that one out! TO MUCH HP and the tranny can't hang! ;) ;)

RJ I was at the light by Auto Zone, Exon, going towards the cruising lanes. I blew the tranny before I got to the stip of stores with Octopus Gardens in it. That is where I coasted to a stop.

SO I'll be pricing tranny's this week and seeing who'll do the best job of installation. (Probably Custom Performance).

smashedheadcat
01-05-2004, 11:50 AM
Sounds like what happened to my trans. I twisted the clustershaft, and ripped a few teeth off of it. Trans made plenty of noise, but went in and out of every gear.

Check out the X2C motorsports v.1 tremec trans. All syncro's, and supports 900 HP and 9.9 Et's, and 1.35 60's for $16XX.

spittincobra01
01-05-2004, 12:04 PM
well it sucks to hear this Greg, but glad to hear you still beat that little snot nosed ricer =o) Hope you get it back up and running soon!

Matt

Big Daddy
01-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Well Custom Performance removed the transmission and discovered I broke the input shaft. SO, my choices are have them replace the shaft (disassemble the tranny and replace the shaft) OR purchase a new tranny. I'm afraid that if I replace the input shaft that something else in the tranny will give way especially with the power I'm putting down. I am seriously considering the Viper Spec T56 kit from D&D Performance. The whole kit with the tranny, mounting kit, and aluminum driveshaft is around $3200. So much for my rear suspension upgrades this year! :( :(

34Ford
01-09-2004, 09:14 AM
Do anything other than another 3650.
They have admitted that the 3650 has problems from 1st to 2nd in our Mach 1's and they finally released parts to fix them.
But...........Im hoping for a tsb from Ford.

Heres crossing my fingers. Hope you get it fixed soon Greg.:thumbsup:

itsrlong
01-09-2004, 11:02 AM
I've got an '03 T-56 tranny with aluminum drive shaft I'll sell ya... It has 9k miles on it... I can let it go for $1900. I'm in Hickory if you are interested.

Hazman
01-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Hey 34 Ford
What is the issue on the Mach 1's. My brother-in-law has one and I would like to clue him in on this while he is still under warrenty.
Thanks

smashedheadcat
01-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Greg, I've got a 3650 that I'll sell ya for bones. That'll get your running again anyway........??? Let me know what ya think.

Josh

Big Daddy
01-09-2004, 06:04 PM
I went ahead and bought the T56 from D&D Performance. It is a kit that comes with a Steeda Triax, aluminum drive shaft, mounting kit and the tranny, shipped to Custom Performance for $3000. It should arrive next Wednesday or Thursday and it will take them most of a day to get it back in (had to remove the Long Tubes and k-member!). Hopefully it will be ready next Friday and I can pick it up on my way home from Wilmington next week! :D :thumbsup:

White Venom
01-09-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by 34Ford
Im hoping for a tsb from Ford.

I wouldn't count on it i work for ford and they aren't so nice about stuff like that

34Ford
01-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Hazman
Hey 34 Ford
What is the issue on the Mach 1's. My brother-in-law has one and I would like to clue him in on this while he is still under warrenty.
Thanks

Ask your brother-in-law if his clunks or grinds from 1st to 2nd when its cold.

Here is some info from Stangnet. Be forwarned, its long!
Stangnet here (http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=328655)

And this is somewhat smaller.
Mach1regisrty here (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8736)

Here is the part numbers from Tremec to fix the problems.

3R3Z-7107-AA ----> RG-TRA/AX SYN BLK -------------->$289.77
3R3Z-7102-AA ----> GR ASSEMBLY-TRANS INTERM----> $123.18
3R3Z-7124-BA ----> SYN ASSEMBLY TRANS ----------> $102.86

Since they are admitting theres a problem Im hoping to get this fixed for free. Maybe
:thumbsup:

johnbasf
01-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Big Daddy
I went ahead and bought the T56 from D&D Performance. It is a kit that comes with a Steeda Triax, aluminum drive shaft, mounting kit and the tranny, shipped to Custom Performance for $3000. It should arrive next Wednesday or Thursday and it will take them most of a day to get it back in (had to remove the Long Tubes and k-member!). Hopefully it will be ready next Friday and I can pick it up on my way home from Wilmington next week! :D :thumbsup:

Please tell me you got the RR 5th gear. (.83?)

Big Daddy
01-10-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by johnbasf
Please tell me you got the RR 5th gear. (.83?)

John, it's a .80 fifth gear. But I don't think it will matter with the HP I'm putting down! ;) ;) :D Plus this will NEVER be the car I race! :D

STANGBUM
01-13-2004, 10:36 AM
Plus this will NEVER be the car I race! :D

Oh no never.........
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Patton Ave.=:burnout:

Big Daddy
01-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by STANGBUM
Oh no never.........
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Patton Ave.=:burnout:

Well not in an ORGANIZED racing league! ;) ;) :D

Big Daddy
01-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Well the transmission and installation kit has arrived at Custom. NOW all I have to do is convince them to get it put in tomorrow! :D ;)

STANGBUM
01-14-2004, 03:44 PM
Well Dale Doesn't do anything in a hurry, but he does do it right the first time.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

White Venom
01-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Well not in an ORGANIZED racing league! ;) ;) :D
greg, u don't ever race. my friend in his lightning wants to run u bad

Big Daddy
01-15-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by White Venom
greg, u don't ever race. my friend in his lightning wants to run u bad

So which Lightning is it the Red one or the Silver one? I hope he has a BIG shot of Nitrous if he's going to run me! :D ;)

Big Daddy
01-15-2004, 02:32 PM
Well RJ he's moving fairly quickly for me. The ASP will be back on the road tomorrow!! :D WOOOO HOOO! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

White Venom
01-15-2004, 06:34 PM
the silver one, he wants to run you from a deadstop.

I ordered long-tubes i will be doing some work on it soon

Big Daddy
01-15-2004, 09:28 PM
Feb. 28th all day long at the drag day. :D :thumbsup:

White Venom
01-15-2004, 10:04 PM
he's trading it in he wants to run you soon.

Big Daddy
01-15-2004, 10:21 PM
he's trading it in he wants to run you soon.

IF the weather co operates a week from this Saturday should be possible. :D :thumbsup:

STANGBUM
01-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Greg,
Is the transmission fixed?:(

Big Daddy
01-22-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by STANGBUM
Greg,
Is the transmission fixed?:(

YEP! I pick it up tomorrow!! :D :thumbsup: It was installed last Friday but the real seal was leaking so we had to wait on a new seal to be shipped to them for installation. Now I'm good to go! I should be out on Patton on Saturday Night if the weather cooperates! :D ;)

White Venom
01-22-2004, 10:40 PM
my friend wants to race you and so does isaac, he said he'll give you 4 cars and the jump. don't back down this time like you did a couple of months ago. if u want he'll probly give you 5 car lenths

2KWhiteSnake
01-23-2004, 12:28 AM
my friend wants to race you and so does isaac, he said he'll give you 4 cars and the jump. don't back down this time like you did a couple of months ago. if u want he'll probly give you 5 car lenths

Big Daddy backed down? :rotf:

Wassup with that Greg? You claiming "all show, no go?"

:D

Craig

STANGBUM
01-23-2004, 07:48 AM

Now RJ, you should take it a little easier on Greg. He is getting older and his reflexes ain't what they used to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:rotf: :rotf:
Now I understand he will run you and spot you 5 cars and the jump!!! what ya say? are you game?:D :D ;) ;)

NO 5 OH
01-23-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by 34Ford
Do anything other than another 3650.
They have admitted that the 3650 has problems from 1st to 2nd in our Mach 1's and they finally released parts to fix them.
But...........Im hoping for a tsb from Ford.

They should already have one for the 3650 actually. They had this problem with some 01 Cobras (mine did what your describing especailly) but I don't know if they'd say that was the "fix" or not for it. I agree though... the 3650 is very lacking in the tranny department :rolleyes:

Man... all the mad smack talking going on in here. RJ the car you want to have Greg run ought to be pretty fast if you're gonna give him five cars and the go.

Don't fret though Greg... I have a friend that could probably hook you up with some 16" ET Streets :D:D:D

Shannon

itsrlong
01-23-2004, 10:38 AM
What Shannon? Not going to tell everybody about your new little friend? :D Guess you are waiting for the cookout in Claremont...

Wanting to lend out my ET Streets are ya?

Big Daddy
01-23-2004, 04:12 PM

As I recall he was about 3/4 of a car ahead of me when we went into a turn and then all of sudden I didn't see Isaac besides me any more??? What happened to him in the turn???? :D ;) I'll tell you and Isaac what...I'll race him on a straight if he'll race me around the twisties??? Sound fair??? As for your friend in L if he can't beat a 12.2 in a straight line from a dead stop I don't think he'll like the results but I'll be glad to see what his lead sled will do. I would like a couple of weeks to get used to the 6 speed though as I can see myself missing 3rd and hitting 5th instead. I would also like to get a few miles on the tranny BEFORE I start to abuse it! :D

Big Daddy
01-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Oh ya what will Isaac run me in this weekend?? I saw his car today and it sure didn't look like it was ready to run anything! I thought he was getting it tuned at Custom tomorrow??

AND I have one other question for you RJ??? Why don't you ever want to run me???:eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

spittincobra01
01-23-2004, 05:04 PM
boy... lot's of good smack in here.... me likes:thumbsup:

White Venom
01-23-2004, 06:05 PM
because i'm missing a blower. if i had one i would sure run you