PDA

View Full Version : stereo equip. knowledge

laserred
01-14-2004, 03:49 PM
Hey guys. I am trying to find out if there is any aftermarket speakers such as JVC, Pioneer, Kicker, etc... that can replace my factory ones with that would be used with the factory amps. If anyones knows help please. I know there is a different setup with the ohms and the impedence and the wattage , but do any of you guys know ? I know a little bout it but crutchfield said it wasn't any, I am assuming because they wanted me to buy amps too! But I hope you all can give me some advice, thanks.:bounce:

laserred
01-18-2004, 10:12 AM
I know that we usually talk engines and upgrades, but can anyone give me some insight on how I can better the speaker system in my car without losing the factory amps? thanks for any help.:D

xanavisilvia
01-19-2004, 09:30 PM
I tried to install the aftermarket speakers for my old 98 GT without losing the factory amp too.
In my case, I was trying to install the 12" subwoofer and make it work with the factory audio system. I had a Kenwood cd reciver also. I did some how made the Kenwood to work with the factory amp to power the Pioneer 5" X 7" and the 12" subwoofer with another MTX amp. I later found out that I could not adjust the factory amp and the sound that was coming out of the 5X7s were distorted. The factory amp was driving the 5X7 too hard. But, I was only getting very faint sound from the subwoofer. Only way to make the Kenwood to work with the factory amp is to buy a wiring harness from Crutchfield. At the time Crutchfield was only place that had the wiring harness. And, they wanted $150 for the thing. So, I ended up buying the 4 channel amp for the 4 5 X 7s. Kenwood reciver was powering the tweeters and the MTX for the subwoofer. I also ended up running seperate speaker wires for the 5 X 7 speakers. It ended up being a pretty expensive project. And this was the only way I could make this work. I don't know, maybe there would've been better options.
Well, that's my experience with the factory Mach 460 sound system.

Firme
01-19-2004, 10:09 PM
not that I'm saying you should buy from them, but Crutchfield usually has aftermarket replacements for factory stuff.

go to http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-PsxVMSd0zMI/autoinfo/autoinfo.asp?s=0&cc=01&vehicleid=0 and put in what car you have and it should give you selections that will work with the other factory parts.

not much, but hope it helps