PDA

View Full Version : What about a Race Roll Bar?

Levi
01-27-2004, 06:45 PM
I am thinking about this one for open track.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/images/atphb.gif

johnbasf
01-27-2004, 07:14 PM
That's a great choice.

03 cobra toy
01-27-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Levi
I am thinking about this one for open track.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/images/atphb.gif

Nice...I know I know I need one....:( After the Delrin bushings and Diff cooler...

redsnake99
01-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Here's mine:

97CasperCobra
01-27-2004, 11:30 PM
a roll bar is WAAAAAAAAAAY down the line for me. Car won't see more than 2 track events a year untill I can get out of school and have a daily driver. :( Way I'm going that will be say.......... 5 years. :( :(

The one you posted looks nice Stan, I'll probably get a full cage like Andy has, but I'll be crying when I've got the holey interior. :D

Levi
01-28-2004, 11:56 AM
I will start with a Racing Roll Bar, something like this one and then work my way to a full Roll Cage.

One step at a time.

Al C
01-28-2004, 10:05 PM
When you go with a roll bar be sure to include some high density padding on it to protect you punkin head. Very good discussion about this on Corner-Carvers.

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14061

Levi
01-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by johnbasf
That's a great choice.
Cool.

Something like this would be cool for starters.
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/12/race_roll_barrr.jpg

Twice Bitten
01-29-2004, 01:43 PM
To restrictive!

Levi
01-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Twice Bitten
To restrictive!

The harness bar and cross bar unbolts so it can be removed to get access to the rear seat for street use. I donít really care about this sense I do not have a back seat, it was just a suggestion for those that still have a rear seat. I was just thinking out loud due to the group purchase thing. If we could get a roll bar that could work for a group of us, maybe we could safe some money.:D

Mephisto
01-29-2004, 04:55 PM
I am very interesetd in this bar. I am in for a group purchase. Just so long as it will fit well in an 03 vert.

Carl G
01-29-2004, 07:41 PM
Im in for the group deal, need it soon also. I would like to see some thing that cne be removable for the verts and for street use.

Twice Bitten
01-29-2004, 09:39 PM
I haved talked with my freind about cages and roll bars. He is probally going to be higher than Jeff Gee. I know he is willing to work with people on an individual basis for designing what they want for their particular car. I am going to do a full cage in the R that connects with subframes. I also talked about the 'vert and will do a roll bar, but with removable side bars that will go into floor board, but will not encroach on leg room. He has seen pictures of Andy's cage and has made several suggestions about making it easier to get in and out of the car, but also making it stronger for protection and keeping it looking like it was installed at the factory. I will get pictures from his portfolio of vehicles they have done to show you. He will set up systems that can be removable or that can be added onto in the future. I will have prices the first part of next week and will let you know.Those of you who really want to get serious, they can build you a complete car for drag or raod course.:thumbsup:

Levi
01-30-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Twice Bitten
I haved talked with my freind about cages and roll bars. He is probally going to be higher than Jeff Gee. I know he is willing to work with people on an individual basis for designing what they want for their particular car. I am going to do a full cage in the R that connects with subframes. I also talked about the 'vert and will do a roll bar, but with removable side bars that will go into floor board, but will not encroach on leg room. He has seen pictures of Andy's cage and has made several suggestions about making it easier to get in and out of the car, but also making it stronger for protection and keeping it looking like it was installed at the factory. I will get pictures from his portfolio of vehicles they have done to show you. He will set up systems that can be removable or that can be added onto in the future. I will have prices the first part of next week and will let you know.Those of you who really want to get serious, they can build you a complete car for drag or raod course.:thumbsup:

Sweeeeeeeet.:thumbsup:

Mephisto
01-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Sounds good.

I just want to make sure that the roll bar is "show" quality, with totally polished welds and podwercoat black or paint matched.

I do want the welded bar but with the bolt in harness and support bars.

Mystic_Cobra
01-30-2004, 08:59 PM
I have the autopower 4-pt bar with the bolt in harness bar and the "angle support bar". Not sure what it really is called.
I like mine and I install the two bolt-in bars just for track weekends. It is my only car. It looks like the two bars are welded together in the pic above, but mine are two separate bars. I might be selling mine this year when I get my custom cage installed.
I think I have some pics if anyone wants to see them, let me know.

redsnake99
01-31-2004, 12:59 AM
Mamba, what you described is exactly what I had installed, see my post picture above. I can remove the door bars and horizontal harness bar when not needed.

:D

Levi
02-02-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Mystic_Cobra
I have the autopower 4-pt bar with the bolt in harness bar and the "angle support bar". Not sure what it really is called.
I like mine and I install the two bolt-in bars just for track weekends. It is my only car. It looks like the two bars are welded together in the pic above, but mine are two separate bars. I might be selling mine this year when I get my custom cage installed.
I think I have some pics if anyone wants to see them, let me know.

We would love to see some pic's.:cool:

Originally posted by redsnake99
Mamba, what you described is exactly what I had installed, see my post picture above. I can remove the door bars and horizontal harness bar when not needed.:D

Looks great.:thumbsup:

Mephisto
02-02-2004, 04:45 PM
OK, so can we actually come up with a plan? If we group order pre-fab rollbars it will take at least 4-6 weeks to get them. Do we have any update on a local (Houston) shop that can do it custom?

I don't want to miss a bunch of events just talking aobut this.

Andy M
02-02-2004, 10:51 PM
Lucas Automotive (Talley Street just off of Hempstead Hwy near W Little York) builds custom cages. Tell Greg Lucas that Andy sent you. They build race cars from the ground up in some cases, if you have the necessary funds.

I've seen a cage that they built in a Cobra R (owner from Clear Lake area) and it looks fantastic!:D

Mystic_Cobra
02-03-2004, 01:31 AM
Ok, I added a few pictures of my roll bar to my website. My car still has full interior (for a few more months).

Here's the link straight to my Mystic page: http://members.cox.net/bost/mystic.htm

The bar is mine, but the pictures are actually of the roll bar while it was still in John's Mystic. I didn't think he'd mind me posting the pics. Besides, they're both Mystics, so you should get the idea of what it looks like in my car. Just imagine carpet and a backseat. It's too dark to take pictures of the bar in my car tonight, but I will soon.

Levi
02-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Thanks go out to Andy and Jimmy.:thumbsup:

Twice Bitten
02-10-2004, 12:09 AM
For a full chromoly cage with a basket, you are looking at $3000, it will be certified for nhra and ihra as well as some other initials I can't remember.Those of you with 'verts. a 6 point cage made from DOM will run $1200. If you want removable side bars, add another $600. They can also use a heavier chromoly instead of DOM if you like. My car needs the DOM for its extra strength. The 6 point cage will meet the same specs as well and will be certified. The prices are high, but you get what you pay for. They have have several cars the past 2 weeks were they had to rebuild some other shops cage. :thumbsup: