PDA

View Full Version : Car wash disaster

Mystic Cobra
01-28-2004, 12:31 PM
Sunday I decided to wash (for the very first time) my new Cobra.

Sunday - 3:30 pm
I pull the car out of the garage and park it sideways across the driveway. I start gathering all of the required items to wash the car (bucket, car wash soap,etc). I start pulling the hose off the hose reel and filling the bucket. A neighbor walks over and starts asking me questions about the car, sooned to be joined by an second unknown person (also asking questions) then a third and fourth. I, of course, pop the hood, open the doors, and start spewing facts, figures, myths, legends, exaggerations and information of a questionable nature.

4:25pm
I announce that it's getting dark and I really need to start on the car. (I'm knew that I was taking it to a client's site on Monday and I wanted the car to be mind altering). So the crowd starts to disburse and I begin the process. I turn on the faucet and fill the bucket. Mix in a little car wash soap, swirl it around. With my favorite car wash nozzle I begin spraying off the car. As any good car washer does I begin at the top and continue down the car. I am admiring the lines on the beast congratulating myself on how smart I must be to have bought this car.

4:35pm
I am done with the initial rinse so I head toward the faucet to turn off the hose. I begin turning the faucet righty tighty and the I hear a crack handle free spins in my hand. A geyser of water immediately rushes from the faucet into my face. I stumble backwards and try to regain my composure. I do a quick look see to make sure that none of the previous crowd are still in the immediate area. Good, fortunately no witnesses. I run toward the garage for tools. I gather the tools and run to the main shut off valve.

I pull the concrete cover off of the shut off valve box and see nothing but mud. I guess when I had the driveway re-done in summer they never bothered to mention that the box had filled with mud.

4:37pm
I yell upstairs to my wife to come down and help me. A river of water is running down the driveway and directly into... you guessed it... the valve box...lots of water...lots of mud. I run to the side of the house to find a shovel or trowel or anything I can dig with.

4:41pm
My wife throws a towel over the faucet and lays some on the drive way to help redirect the river. I find a can to dig with (what the heck happened to all the garden tools??) and run back toward the box and begin digging.

4:46pm
I find the top of the valve and continue digging to uncover it enough so that I can turn it off. The valve is stuck. I continue digging to completely expose the valve. I grab the handle with both hands and put some force on it. The handle bends. I'm thinking that breaking the handle at this point would not be a good thing. I tell my wife to find the faucet that I bought at home depot a while back, she heads towards the garage.

5:03pm
I run to the garage and get a pipe wrench and some WD-40 and some rags. I spray the valve with WD-40, wipe it off, and put the pipe wrench to it. The valve makes a sqeak and fortunately turns - - river stops flowing.

5:06pm
My wife returns with the replacement faucet. I head to the garage, gather some more tools and repair the faucet.

5:37pm
Covered in mud and looking at this point like the "Creature from the Black Lagoon" I head toward the valve box. I put the cover on the box and survey the mess. I re-attach the hose and rinse the mud off of me and then the driveway.

5:43pm
I look at my car and it has already begun to dry and water spot. Sun has set and darkness is rapidly falling. The one street light on the block isn't throwing enough light to properly wash a car, but I don't want water to dry on the car. So I wash the car and dry it as best as I can.

6:38pm
I pull the car into my garage and go upstairs.

Monday - 6:30am
The alarm rings. I put on workshop clothes. I pull the car out of the garage and park it sideways across the driveway. I start gathering all of the required items to wash the car (bucket, car wash soap,etc). I start pulling the hose off the hose reel and filling the bucket. A neighbor walks over and starts asking me questions about the car.........

:doubt:

Firme
01-28-2004, 12:44 PM
:rotf:

that is hilarious Jeff...not to make light of your misfortune, but the log is classic.

I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts

P.S. Get some Zaino for beast :thumbsup:

nckissfan
01-28-2004, 05:08 PM
funny stuff, and I feel for ya.

Mystic Cobra
01-29-2004, 12:54 AM
I laughted about it on Monday but I gotta tell ya on Sunday I wan't the most cheerful person! But what are ya gonna do, if you can't laugh at your self....

Firme:
Funny you should mention Zaino. I read a bunch of past posts over the weekend and lots of people raved about it. So I searched for it on the net and found their web site and printed order forms. I'm gonna have to order a some, it sound like great stuff.:thumbsup: