PDA

View Full Version : k&n air filters

nckissfan
02-01-2004, 06:12 PM
Hey, I was wanting to install a K&N filter system on my 97 Cobra. Is $175-180 about right for price? And, is this a relatively simple install? Do they really give you more hp? I always wondered about them. I am looking for some relatively inexpensive performance upgrades for my Cobra. Any other things I could do for not too much $$?

tcrews
02-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Just get a K&N filter ($40 or so I think) and remove the snorkle (rubber thing attached to your airbox) and you'll be fine. The rest is just a waste of money. Realistically don't expect a lot of power from things like air filters, ram air, synthetic oils, plugs or wires. A K&N filter does flow more air through while filtering out more particles than the stock piece...so still a whorthwhile purchase.

Inexpensive mods aren't going to make a lot of gains in power though they do still help. What I'd suggest would be to replace your stock mid-pipe with a good H or X pipe, add some underdrive pulleys and for the absolute first mod...get some gears. 4.30s are great for all around use (street/strip) and shouldn't affect your gas mileage much at all.

Out of all the mods you can do in the $0-$500 price range, gears will be the most noticable and effective.

nckissfan
02-02-2004, 05:27 AM
thanks for the tip!

virginCobra
02-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Funny that I foind this post, but I just put my K&N on ebay. I bought a 80MM densecharger air kit. The filter only has 500 miles on it and is spotless.

I have no reserve on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33659&item=2457983417&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT#ebayphotohosting

nckissfan
02-29-2004, 12:01 AM
ok, I bought a K&N air filter for my car. I had my wife go pick it up when I was at work. It is a cone shaped one. Is this the correct one for my car? It is part # E-0945. I see tcrews says to remove the snorkel. Does the whole air box come completely off? Anyone in the Charlotte vacinity, that might be able to help me with this? Thanks in advance.

tcrews
02-29-2004, 12:09 AM
It's been a while but that part # sounds right. Yep, pull the whole air box off, the snorkel is attached to it. Once the box is out, pull the snorkel off/out, put the K&N on the MAF then put the box back on/in the car. It has two rubber grommets in the bottom holding it on and I think one screw in the side of the engine bay. It's a pain to do but is still easy enough.

nckissfan
02-29-2004, 12:12 AM
thanks for the tip, I will give it a try Monday after work.

smashedheadcat
02-29-2004, 12:41 AM
I did a before and after on my 99 cobra on the dyno.

Totally stock baseline @4:50pm= 268.5rwhp 282.1 rwtq
I then added the K&N from autozone ($40) and removed the snorkel.....

New numbers @ 4:59pm= 272.9rwhp 285.1 rwtq.

Air to fuel ratio from 12.2 stock to 12.4 with the K&N.

Numbers were exactly the same until 4200rpm. Peak number for rwhp was at 6100, and by 6200 the stock and the K&N hp curves met up again. It looks like there is a 1 or 2rwhp increase from 4200 almost completely across the board..... but like Tom said, no real big gains with this should be expected. But if you look, it only took 9 minutes to do.....

Josh

nckissfan
03-01-2004, 03:57 PM
ok, got it installed. That wasn't too bad. It sure is a tight fit. Thanks for the tip tcrews, it helped a lot!

*edit*, just ran it up the road, everythink is a.o.k.