PDA

View Full Version : plug wires

nckissfan
02-02-2004, 03:46 PM
hey, I was driving my 97 Cobra Convertible to a Super Bowl party last night when the car starts running a little rough, and the "check engine" light comes on. It was running ok at cruising speed, just running rough coming through the gears. I take it to the dealer(mind you, I just bought it 1/22/04), they run a diagnostic. I need all new plug wires. $420!! Ahh!, what the hell? Well, there goes my upgrades for now. Anyways, I have a friend who has worked on all my cars, and he will do it for less than that. So, would putting factory Ford wires be the best route, or are there any out there that will give me a boost? I read on a thread that aftermarkets won't do anything for me. Same for platinum plugs, I think is what it said. Anyways, I am bummed my snake is ill. Any help will be appreciated.

smashedheadcat
02-02-2004, 05:55 PM
Do yourself, and the rest of us a favor, and give whoever is charging you $420 for a set of plug wires the old =:321: and possibly a kick to the groin. That is the definition of Highway robbery at it's finest. I just got Taylor 10.4mm wires with looms for $150. I think the factory wires would work just fine. I'll tell you what, ask the dealer which cylinder is misfiring, and I'll send you that plug wire for the price of shipping. If you need plugs, go with Autolite 764's. You can pick them up at your local wal-mart, napa, autozone, advance auto or equivilent for about a dollar a piece.

nckissfan
02-02-2004, 06:23 PM
the guy that was working on the car acted like this hotshot. He says, ahh yeah your third cylinder is misfiring. I ask, so are they special wires that the car uses. He says, with a funny look on his face, ah no I don't think so, but I wouldn't put any aftermarket wires on there, the car won't run right. Really? That is not good, I say. I found a set of MSD on Summit Racing for $81.

The dealer, which I won't name names, is one of the largest in the Southeast. Oops, did I give that away? Yeah, my mechanic buddy told me to tell them the same thing. Ha, the guy even told me it was not a good idea to drive it at all. Wow. I guess they thought I was a :retard: Anyways, I am getting it fixed tomorrow, and not at the aforementioned dealer, either!

smashedheadcat
02-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by nckissfan
Anyways, I am getting it fixed tomorrow, and not at the aforementioned dealer, either!

Good on ya!!:thumbsup:

1-QIK-SNK
02-03-2004, 03:23 PM
I had FMS wires on my 96 and one took a crap on me at 3yrs old and maybe 5k miles give or take. I had to put my stock ones back one for now, but will get the MSD's as soon as spring breaks open here in Ohio. So MSD has my vote.

Good luck and let us know it the new wires help.

nckissfan
02-10-2004, 04:45 AM
I got my MSD wires installed. They seem to be real nice. They look good, too. They are red. They are a 8.5 mm wire. I bought them for $82 from Summit Racing. My buddy's shop installed them, with plugs for $124. This compared to the $420 the dealer wanted to charge me! WTF? I am happy again.

1-QIK-SNK
02-10-2004, 09:26 AM
nckissfan :

Could you post a pic or two in them.
Thanks

nckissfan
02-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by 1-QIK-SNK
nckissfan :

Could you post a pic or two in them.
Thanks

you know, I never thought of taking a picture of them, yes I will do that. I don't know how to post a picture, but I will figure it out.

nckissfan
02-10-2004, 02:31 PM
MSD wires

1-QIK-SNK
02-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the pic. They look good. I need to ge mine orderd one of these days, but since im not driving mine now i will wait till spring. My gears will go in first
Thanks.:thumbsup:

nckissfan
02-10-2004, 05:41 PM
thanks, it does look pretty cool!

flynfink
02-10-2004, 06:47 PM
look really good,

Dude, glad you didn't pay over $400 for plug wires installed. Heck I'd put em in including buying them for (ok, all what do we wanna charge?)

Dealer wasn't #88 was it...?? Like he need's more $$

nckissfan
02-10-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by flynfink
look really good,

Dude, glad you didn't pay over $400 for plug wires installed. Heck I'd put em in including buying them for (ok, all what do we wanna charge?)

Dealer wasn't #88 was it...?? Like he need's more $$

yeah, I am glad I did not pay that much, too. My wife was hot when I told her how much they wanted for that. And, yes it was the Taj MaJarrett. I guess their overhead is being passed on to the customer. That is the last time I will go there with the intention of pulling money out of my pocket. I will go to see the '05 Mustang when it is out, as well as the Ford GT.