PDA

View Full Version : What Battery?

Lumpydogs
02-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Have a dead, will not take a charge, battery. Also, plan on
moving the battery to the trunk. What type of battery should I
be looking to buy. I'm concerned about explosive battery fumes slipping through the rear seats. I believe that some batterys
don't give off fumes. What type of battery, I don't know.

Help

Firme
02-09-2004, 02:25 PM
I would suggest an Optima battery, especially if you are relocating it.

I would suggest either a red top or a yellow top. Here is info on both so you can decide.

Yellow top (http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/deep_Cycle/index.asp)

Red Top (http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/starter/index.asp)

Most mid to high end car Audio shops carry them because of the nature of the batteries (non-spill, trunk mountable, can be drained fully and recharged with no damage), so do alot of car parts stores

smashedheadcat
02-09-2004, 11:17 PM
I've got a red top in all of my cars. I've had one fail, but it was replaced by autozone for free. I've been very satisfied with them. I will continue to put the red top in all of my vehicles, as long as I have a few extra BILL$.

Mystic Cobra
02-10-2004, 11:10 AM
I swear by Optima also. I've had a few classic cars and put one in all of them. I always used the yellow top only because that's what the store stocked, don't know the difference between the two.

A couple of other suggestions:
Double check your alternator while your at it just to make sure it's up to the task.

When you relocate your battery buy GOOD cables, don't use welding cables like some folks do. And don't use clamp on connectors. You can buy kits with all the good suff - It'll cost you a couple of extra bucks up front but will eliminate electrical gremlins. And make sure that you have a good solid ground.

Just my humble opinion. I've chased electrical problems and man can it be frustrating!:mad:

Big Daddy
02-10-2004, 05:35 PM
Optima Red Top sitting in my trunk. When/IF it ever dies I'll go that route again! :D :thumbsup: