PDA

View Full Version : The Wallet Hates Me Again

smashedheadcat
02-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Well, in case everyone didn't know....... My cobra has broken the clustershaft of a TKO transmission, and has been down since a week prior to the hurricane. Well, out of frustration, the car has been parked to think about what it's done to me. :D I can only stay mad for so long, then the time comes to give her some lovin.

X2C motorsports Tremec V.1 transmission (Good to 900hp)
Lakewood Scattershield /w ARP bolts
Lakewood extended clutch fork
McCleoud Street Twin Clutch
McCleoud Billet Aluminum Flywheel
Ford Motor Sport Aluminum Driveshaft
and of course... PRO-5.0 Shifter
Speed Cal to compensate for the 4.30's:p

All this came to $3319.10 shipped........... OUCH!!!

Hopefully this will be the end of tranny woe's for me.

smashedheadcat
02-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Wait, wait........ I got something else for it too. Pardon the cruddy pic...... Got myself an Exhaust gas temp guage and a fuel pressure guage. Also, the instrument cluster to hold'em.

spittincobra01
02-09-2004, 11:30 PM
I really like the new instrument pannel. looks great!

steve
02-10-2004, 02:16 AM
smashedheadcat, you must have money to burn. I've got way to many bills to be spending that kind of money on my car. It must be nice to be able to dish out that kind of cash whenever something breaks. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury. Either your spoiled, or you make a lot of money as a fleet mechanic, or you live at home. It must be nice, I'm jelous.

Peace
P.S. I've even been debating as to whether to sell my car to pay off the debt it got me into. But it's SO MUCH FUN. Maybe I will, and save for a 2006 MONSTER COBRA.:baby:

Hazman
02-10-2004, 05:58 AM
Hey Josh
Where did you get the instrument cluster?? Price?

smashedheadcat
02-10-2004, 09:41 PM
I got the instrument cluster from summitracing.com I also got the guages there. Pricing.......

$69 for the instrument cluster
$189 for the fuel pressure guage
$169 for the Exhaust Gas temp guage (Pyrometer)

smashedheadcat
02-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by spittincobra01
I really like the new instrument pannel. looks great!

Thanks...... I saw Dave Stanfield's (in a picture), and have wanted one ever since.

smashedheadcat
02-10-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by steve
smashedheadcat, you must have money to burn. I've got way to many bills to be spending that kind of money on my car. It must be nice to be able to dish out that kind of cash whenever something breaks. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury. Either your spoiled, or you make a lot of money as a fleet mechanic, or you live at home. It must be nice, I'm jelous.

Peace
P.S. I've even been debating as to whether to sell my car to pay off the debt it got me into. But it's SO MUCH FUN. Maybe I will, and save for a 2006 MONSTER COBRA.:baby:

Hmm...... How to reply to this one? I moved away from home at 17 years old. I'm 22 years old now. I joined the marines and left right out of high school. After boot camp, I took my $1500 and put it down on a black 97 cobra coupe. This was 5 years ago. And, also sparked my love of the modular motor. I sold the car before I went to Japan for one year. There I pretty much starved myself saving money. In one year, I saved $18,000 dollars. I only made $19,600 the entire year. With that $18,000, I put $5000 down on my 97 convertible in the sig. Then, I put the blower, wheels, tko, side exhaust etc.... A few days after my return home from japan, my engine needed a rebuild. So, $7000 later, I'm broke, but I have a forged motor....... low and behold.... 11XX miles later, my new engine lost oil pressure, and required yet another rebuild. This club stepped up big time, and I owe them the world. They helped get me back on the road, and pointed in the right direction. So, I'm in the hole big time. I financed the rebuild. My TKO crapped itself a few months after my second rebuild. This was back in september. My car is still broken.

Now, I'm 22 years old, and I just signed up for another 4 years of service. The money to burn....... came from a $17,000 re-enlistment bonus. :cool: :cool: Which, is obviously payin off the engine, paying off the 97 cobra, fixing the 97 cobra, and adding a down payment to the new 99 cobra. Believe me, i work really really hard for these cars, and I've sweat, bled, and cried more over this car than anything else in my life.

Josh

smashedheadcat
02-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by steve

That's a decision only you can make. Honestly, I'd love to have a new cobra, but I couldn't really see anyone else driving something that I've worked so hard for, and on. This is just my opinion.

steve
02-10-2004, 10:42 PM
smashedheadcat, that was well versed. I'm glad to see your serving this great country of ours. Keep up the good work.

P.S. What's your opinion on the S&B powerstack filter with the open end versus a standard K&N closed end filter. Whoever reads this, let me know. I was thinking about buying an S&B powerstack 9 inch conical filter with the open end design.

Thanx
steve

smashedheadcat
02-11-2004, 08:03 AM
I've got an open end UPR filter right now, and I'm really happy with it. I also have a closed end K&N filter on the 99. I'm happy with that too. I don't think dyno gains would be any different between the two. Either would be a good choice.

Josh

BadMoFo
02-12-2004, 04:27 PM
hey josh gald to hear you finally ordered your parts. cant wait to see that guage cluster, I was in a toss up for when I finally get some reall power under the hood on that gauge cluster or the one that goes on your c piller.

smashedheadcat
02-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Some more parts came in too. New Warlboro pump, Taylor 10.4's, and the anderson ford power pipe. Pics coming.........

Josh

smashedheadcat
02-22-2004, 05:07 PM
Better late than never...... Finally got some time to work on the black car. The wire looms for the Taylor 10.4 plug wires are not even close to being the right size. All the plug wires are at least 6 inches longer than the stock ones. So it looks like a mess for the most part. I wish I could have gotten the ones you cut to length then assemble. But for the $150 I paid for them, I had to make due with what I had. I used a ton patience, and a ton of zip ties to get these wires to look somewhat decent. All the "longer wires found their way to the passenger side, where I can tuck them in under the aftercooler so they won't look so terrible.

smashedheadcat
02-22-2004, 05:09 PM
All in all the wires came out alright. I started the power-pipe install, just kind of "dry fit" it to see what i'm up against. The FMU isn't attached in the pic, but I moved it just about a 1/4 inch toward the rear of the car. I ended up trimming the hood (not shown in pic) and also a touch off of the top radiator support for clearance. I need to put the aftercooler on there so I can run the bypass and a few other hoses and get it all ready for when the tranny and stuff gets here.

smashedheadcat
02-22-2004, 05:13 PM
Here's what the "cockpit" looks like after the install of the new guage cluster. I haven't wired up any of the guages, just did a little dry fit. I had to cut off the studs on the rear of the guages so they'd actually fit flush. This is a nice piece, but it's not as good as the factory one. Seems much more flimsy than the OEM piece, also, there are no clips on this one to hold it in. It's held in with screws. I'd buy it again, but it's not exactly what I was expecting.......

BadMoFo
02-22-2004, 08:31 PM
josh I cant wait to see that in person. I have no reason for guages but they would be nice. I might get some but do you think that would be tacky with a na car? maybe fuel and I dont know what else?

smashedheadcat
02-22-2004, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the props on the interior. :thumbsup: I'd say oil pressure would be a good one to add on a N/A car......

Josh

BadMoFo
02-22-2004, 08:55 PM
I was thinking, if you havent see the post already but I want to try to get 330 rwhp and 330 rwtq NA. I feel that it will be a while before I can get my SC so why not try some NA for a while. I am also going to drop some weight.

smashedheadcat
02-23-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by BadMoFo
I was thinking, if you havent see the post already but I want to try to get 330 rwhp and 330 rwtq NA. I feel that it will be a while before I can get my SC so why not try some NA for a while. I am also going to drop some weight.

Just posted on there buddy. That'll be pretty dang impressive if you can get that 330rwhp/tq.

BadMoFo
02-23-2004, 08:53 PM
well my wallet doesnt hurt as bad as yours but it wasnt happy. I ordered the rest of my billet interior, yes I know, no power.:rolleyes: I also got MM full length subs, polyurathane bushings, steeda UD pullies and should be ordering my irs brace soon. I think while I am at it I will get a custom tune and probably a rear seat delete, shed some pounds. will definatly be needing those drag radials soon.:thumbsup:

BadMoFo
02-24-2004, 01:54 PM
ordered irs brace last night and I am fighting getting the upr air intake system or the wms system, they both are around $450 but I know they would be better than this crappy bbk cai I have.

smashedheadcat
02-27-2004, 08:30 PM
If you get one of those other cold air kits...... sell me the BBK piece. :)

smashedheadcat
02-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Well....... the parts are still rolling in :) Just wish they'd a made it in time for the drag day..... but no dice. :( Still waiting on the aluminum flywheel and clutch.

smashedheadcat
02-29-2004, 12:50 AM
The tranny........

smashedheadcat
02-29-2004, 12:50 AM
tagged........

smashedheadcat
02-29-2004, 12:51 AM
Last piece.........

spittincobra01
03-01-2004, 02:01 AM
sweet Josh! I want to see it when it's all together :thumbsup:

Firme
03-01-2004, 08:02 AM
niiice :thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
03-01-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by spittincobra01
sweet Josh! I want to see it when it's all together :thumbsup:

It's coming together nicely. I'm taking my time on this, and making sure I don't cheap out on anything. Thanks for the compliments. :)

Josh

smashedheadcat
03-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Firme
niiice :thumbsup:

Thank you. More Pictures of more stuff.......

smashedheadcat
03-01-2004, 08:27 PM
As seen in the first picture..... my clutch and flywheel came in. It's the McCleod Street Twin clutch if anyone's wondering... See the two discs, the pressure plate, and another plate that goes between the 2 discs.... Also, the new flywheel is here..... this piece is also from McCleod....

smashedheadcat
03-01-2004, 08:28 PM
and the tranny, shifter, and lakewood housing all put together..................

smashedheadcat
03-01-2004, 08:31 PM
And finally........ a pic of what the engine bay looks like now...... basically, it's the same, but I did put a new ring on the water box for the aftercooler, and cleaned up a little under there.

BadMoFo
03-02-2004, 03:08 PM
hey Josh did those tools come in the box to?:D

we got a shipment of bomb fins in the other day that someone had stashed a cargo strap in one of them that we found, came all the way from italy.

got my subs and bushings and the irs brace should be here today also. now if I knew where those UD pullies were?

smashedheadcat
03-02-2004, 05:40 PM
hey Josh did those tools come in the box to?:D

we got a shipment of bomb fins in the other day that someone had stashed a cargo strap in one of them that we found, came all the way from italy.

got my subs and bushings and the irs brace should be here today also. now if I knew where those UD pullies were?

Ha ha..... no the tools didn't come with it. But my Dr Gas X-pipe did. :D Glad to hear that your stuff came in. Your car is gonna get even more bada$$!

:rotf: on the cargo strap from Italy...... :thumbsup:

Mystic Cobra
03-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Josh, I just scrolled through all your photos.... tooo sweeeet bro.:thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
03-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Mystic Cobra
Josh, I just scrolled through all your photos.... tooo sweeeet bro.:thumbsup:

Thank you very much. I'm very impressed with the quality of these parts. I can't wait to try them out. :bounce:

Josh

98banana
03-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Man! That is one killer ride! Congratulations!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BadMoFo
03-03-2004, 11:33 AM
so you going to have that thing put togther by friday? mine is at the dealership today getting the brakes done, I went and got the other pads, saved a bunch of $$$. now its just depends on what they find out wrong with my headlights.

smashedheadcat
03-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by 98banana
Man! That is one killer ride! Congratulations!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Tom. It'll be even sweeter with a 6 pointer in there huh. :thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
03-03-2004, 12:28 PM
so you going to have that thing put togther by friday? mine is at the dealership today getting the brakes done, I went and got the other pads, saved a bunch of $$$. now its just depends on what they find out wrong with my headlights.

I may have it together, but i'm not sure. I need to find a clutch alignment tool to keep the splines on the 2 discs lined up. I eyeballed it, but I don't know if it's close enough. So before I try to stuff the tranny in, i want to make sure everything is good. Good job on getting different brakes. Hope everything works out with the headlights and brakes.

Josh