PDA

View Full Version : Needin some tire selection help!!!

JBowers
02-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Alright guys, it's been long enough with these BALD tires on the cobra, i need some advice on what kind, size, and brand, to buy...i'm totally lost for words on this, i'm more the off-roader type so i know more about my off-road tires......any info/help would be spiffy!!! :D :thumbsup:

johnbasf
02-10-2004, 05:51 PM
http://www.svtcobraclub.com/svtbbs2/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=50376&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

flynfink
02-10-2004, 06:40 PM
As the saying goes, how much you wanna spend? Stock 255/45ZR17's are gonna run $100 and up and then you have to add mount and balance. Tire Rack has the Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's for $102 ea. They are on my son's 94 and ok for a cheap tire for a daily driver.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+Supra+712&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=545WR7ES712

Figure $500 or so to buy, ship, mount and balance.

I run Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP's (am on my third set) on my 99 and love the tire, low noise, great traction wet and dry. TireRack has them on special for $148 ea.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+SZ50+EP&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=545ZR7FHSZ50EP&fromCompare1=yes

My $0.02 worth

Here's TireRack's offering's in stock sizes.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?startIndex=0&width=255%2F&ratio=45&diameter=17&performance=UHP&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&submitButtonName=Go

JBowers
02-10-2004, 07:10 PM
well see my thing is that i keep going through tires like it's nothing, i think i'm on my 4th set looking for the 5th, this car only has 52,000 miles on it, i guess it's my brother's driving.....:D .......yet i'm wanting to keep the stock rims and stuff, but i'm defentally gonna check out tire rack! thanks guys!!:thumbsup:

flynfink
02-10-2004, 08:26 PM
get the car 4 wheel aligned and keep the bro outta the drivers seat.

spittincobra01
02-11-2004, 01:11 AM
I would only run one tire for multi purpose street/autocross/open track use

Bridgestone Potenza RE750

period!

redsnake99
02-11-2004, 01:37 PM
I agree with Matt......Bridgestone Potenza750's. Someone mentioned the 790's, but I can't find them on Tire Rack.

:thumbsup:

JBowers
02-11-2004, 06:09 PM
Well considering that my brother is the current owner of the car i can't tell him not to drive it....it sux but hey, i gotta do what i gotta do.....finding a decent allignment center around here is HARD, most of these guys deal with Taurus' more than a cobra, so i'm gonna see what's arond first!!:rolleyes: i think the bridgestones may be my next selection, :bounce: :thumbsup:

johnbasf
02-11-2004, 06:29 PM
JBowers, Baity Tire on Silas Creek Parkway did a nice job on my alignment.

cowboyharry
02-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Im gonna put Cooper tires on mine. Beacuse they have a tire that says cobra on it.:D

venomous
02-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Those new Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires in the February edition of MM&FF look awesome. I would put those on my cobra.....that is if I had about $1300 to spend on tires.:eek: :eek: :eek:

JBowers
02-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Thanks John, i'll defentally be checking them out...OMG $1300 dollars..that would pay my bike off totally, including the new paint job....i'll stick with something cheep and good..... the cooper tires sound nice but i haven't heard anything about them so i'll wait for a bit........i still can't get over that $1300...LAWD!!!:eek: :eek:

venomous
02-11-2004, 10:32 PM
I did get some Nitto Nt-555 for $524. They were from discount tire direct (www.tires.com). The fronts were 245/45ZR-17 for $117 a piece and the rears were 255/45ZR-17 for $145. Hope that helps you any.:thumbsup:

JBowers
02-13-2004, 03:19 PM
thanks venomous, i do like nitto's a lot, that's what i'm fixing to put onto my 01 Excursion with my lift kit....thanks for the help guys!:D :thumbsup:

Venom55
02-22-2004, 01:25 AM
Hey guys, I'm a manager at Discount Tire in Greenville, SC. For those of you where money is not object, Mich. just came out with an awesome tire called the Pilot PS2. It is designed with F1 in mind and aparently scored rediculously high in dry and wet traction. I have yet to see one or test it in person but a 245/40R17 runs about 248 installed. BFG's new KDW is really good, not too sure about treadlife though...Kumho's are horrible, don't buy them, continental makes a good all season in the extreme contact. It all just depends on what you're looking to accomplish. Don't look for a really good/inexpensive tire...it doesn't exist...you can have one or the other.

Calvin_1976
02-22-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Venom55
...Kumho's are horrible, don't buy them,

Don't look for a really good/inexpensive tire...it doesn't exist...you can have one or the other.

Are you even taking the Ecsta MX, V700s or V710s into account when you make that statement or are you just making a broad statement?

Venom55
02-23-2004, 10:28 PM
The MX is a good tire, but for the money there is much better out there. Kumho makes a good/affordable race tire, but still, there's better out there...used to not be the case. Kumho used to offer the best bang-for-the-buck tire but not now that they've come up on prices and companies like Yokohama have developed affordable tires that way outperform Kumho.

Calvin_1976
02-23-2004, 11:43 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testResultsModel.jsp?tireModel=Ecsta+MX&tireMake=Kumho

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/max_perf_charts.jsp

Bartman01
02-24-2004, 09:17 AM
Here is a vote for the BFGoodrich KDW. We get monsoon like rains down here and I have never had a scary moment with these tires yet.

These IRS cars chew up the rears fast unless they are aligned properly. I went through 2 sets on the rear (dealership alignment) before I got it aligned somewhere else, now the fronts wear more.

Bartman01
02-24-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by flynfink
Stock 255/45ZR17's

The stock tires are 245/45 17's

JBowers
02-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Well my brother desided to put Toyos on it...it's not my decision but hey there free so no complains from me!:thumbsup: :bounce:

Venom55
02-25-2004, 12:00 AM
Well those numbers were great to look at. I actually performed those exact tests with those exact cars, substitute the Potenza SO3 for the Yoko product. The only problem is the KD is not designed to do well in the wet. KD stands for Key element-Dry. KDW=Dry/Wet KDWS=Dry/Wet/Snow. So, the fact that the MX did better in the wet conditions doesn't surprise me...but if you look at the numbers, it didn't really do that much better. Now I'm sure they'll be arguments for cost, and durability, but my original post was just a recommendation...your average mustang driver opts for 712's or 711's, not the MX...and our friend opting for the toyos was obviously an economic decision because they are just horrid. Again, just my opinion, I've only just performed these exact tests back-to-back so you don't have to listen to anything I say. Just figure out what is important to you as to how you want your tire to perform and go from there.

2KWhiteSnake
02-25-2004, 12:12 AM
Yes, the MX is a TOTALLY different animal compared to the 711 or 712's. I love my MX's, both for the street and HPDE weekends. Best bang for the buck out there IMO. I'm on my 3rd set of them.

Craig

flynfink
02-25-2004, 09:00 AM
Venom55. Can you help local members with tire prices? Mount and balance? I live in Charlotte and just put tires on both of my Cobra's. Not looking now, except maybe for my truck, but for future reference. There are a bunch of us in Charlotte, Greenville, Spartenburg.

Venom55
02-25-2004, 07:10 PM
Certainly, I would be able to better help those that are close enough that they can come to the store I help manage, but as far as Discount Tire Co. in general we have a low price guarantee. No tire store matches our service policies or warranty for that matter. It may be a little unethical but i know i'll never buy tires again...the waranty we offer covers the complete cost of the tire and intallation if the tire needs to be replaced due to road hazzard or defect. Basically I'll just put a nail in the shoulder of my Mich. Pilot Sport A/S's when I need some new ones and just pay the waranty renewal fee. We've got stores all over the Charlotte area and our Greenville store (my store) is the closest to spartanburg and surrounding areas. Give us a call, my name is Mike, and I'll see what kinda hook-up I can do...it won't be anything official but I'd be more than happy to do what I can.