PDA

View Full Version : rear end replacement

grumpynlovinit
02-14-2004, 02:14 PM
I recently drove my Cobra from here in NC to Michigan, because I lost a bet and had to go watch the Superbowl with my Patriots loving friend. Yes my car got salt all over it, just to bother my obsessive compulsive friends who treat their cars better than their wives!!! http://www.grumpynlovinit.com/images/michigan0104%20017.jpg

Anyway, there has been an annoying high freq rumble / vibe for a long time at higher speeds, and during the trip it got worse and worse, to the point that I had to open the window for other noise. (14 hours of a tingling vibe and rumble gets old fast)

Dale Jarrett Ford is replacing the rear end, and the driveshaft, based on a 'TSB', or so they tell me. They are also replacing the spark plugs based on a 'TSB', to fix a rough idle issue. They tell me my car is not the first to have a rear end replacement. My car is bone stock, and I am wondering if this rear end replacement will be required every 12,000 miles? Has anyone else had the rear end replaced?

Not only that, but they damaged my hood while it was in for service, and now the car is in the bodyshop, while I drive a dadgum Dodge Minivan they rented for me. They are fixing some other damage for me for free, so I am not unhappy with their service. However, its been fun, this 'SVT' experience. I am thinking there may be an '05 Corvette in my future...

Mystic Cobra
02-14-2004, 09:14 PM
Ok, let me see if I have this straight... you LOST a bet and went to the Superbowl??? What would you have got if you won the bet???

What did they do to your hood? I'll bet you were ready for blood!

grumpynlovinit
02-14-2004, 11:32 PM
The bet had to do with who was going to be in the Superbowl. I didn't believe the Patriots would be there, and told my friend I'd drive 14 hours to watch the game with him if they did. I lost. If I had won, he'd have been truckin on down to NC to watch the game!

I haven't seen my car, so I only have vague details on what they did to the hood. It better be sweet looking when I go to get it.

This car has its own black cloud over it. Its been dinged by doors, hit by stones, its run over stuff on the highway, been damaged by mechanics, had major drivetrain problems....etc etc. Luckily my life isn't centered around my car, otherwise I'd be a basket case by now!!

Of course each of my last three trucks, a succession of trouble-free Fords, remained spotless - no dings, or any other damage. Go figure.

JBowers
02-15-2004, 01:22 PM
dang, i've heard about the rear ends going out, the 99 that i have had a "noise" coming from it, but it was something totally else, they replaced the rear end anyways, (we took it to the local delership what a bunch of TARDS!) but it was something extremly simple.....um....i can't remember! lol :rotf:

NO 5 OH
02-17-2004, 01:02 AM
If it has the classic "vibe" in the rear end then it's the driveshaft responsible for the noise and not the whole rear end. The driveshaft has to be indexed in order to get rid of the noise... the 99 guys over on blueovalnews can tell you all about how to fix the "vibe" in the driveline ;)

HTH,

Shannon

Corner-Carver
02-17-2004, 12:39 PM
They runs a series of run-out checks on the rear end to find out wheter or not you need a new rear end or new driveshaft. Mine (just like my '99) had it from day one. a new driveshaft fixed it on my '03 and indexing fixed it on my '99.:)

Corner-Carver
02-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by NO 5 OH
The replacement for displacement has "Garrett" cast into it.

Or "Turbonetics":thumbsup: :D :D

grumpynlovinit
02-18-2004, 11:19 PM
Well they replaced both the driveshaft and the rear end, and the car is now as quiet as...well...lets just say the rear end noise is gone!! I bought the car with 6000 miles on it, and I now understand that the rear end hasn't been right since I bought it!! The car is a joy to drive, once again.

Still have a slightly rough idle however. I will drive it a week or so and if it doesn't 'heal' itself, back to the dealer it goes!

I must say that dealing with Dale Jarrett Ford was a much more pleasant experience than I am used to, even though the mechanic goofed and dinged my hood. They did a nice job repairing it, and are great about keeping in touch - letting me know every day where the servicing was at, and what was happening. Much better service personnel than those at my local Ford dealer.

Now I can hear the noise my Yokohama ES100's tires make - don't think I'll be buying them again!! Perhaps I just need that Borla exhaust system to drown out the tire noise.......

jjraiser
02-20-2004, 07:10 PM
You know, I've been waiting to hear about rear end problems with the 03 Cobras. From day one I've had, as everyone has, that annoying clunking sound. I talked to the SVT tech line guys and they concurred that such a condition exists. They said there was not a corresponding TSB, but I have to wonder how you can have that much backlash with that much torque and not have failure problems. I drive pretty smooth, but you can't be smooth enough all the time.

I wonder if the backlash caught up to you and wore the gears out with too much clunking and eventually slapping of the gears under 390 ft/lbs.(?)

Thoughts? Did the dealership talk more about the cause of the problem in the TSB?

grumpynlovinit
02-21-2004, 10:38 PM
No, the dealer didn't talk specifics about the TSB. I bought the car with 6000 miles on it, and it always had the 'clunk' as I put it in gear, and a low frequency hum at highway (plus) speeds. It just got worse and worse as I drove it. Probably all the powerslides, wheel hop, and screaming through Deal's Gap too many times didn't help it.

Since they've replaced the rear, it no longer clunks, and there is no noise at all from the rear, other than the dadgum Yokohamas. (the Eagles were history after 5000 miles)

I would agree that obviously they didn't design the rear with the engine in mind!! Curious that I can find very little info on the internet about any mods available. Perhaps I just don't know what I am looking for!!