PDA

View Full Version : New to the mustang world

Thomas
02-15-2004, 12:16 AM
Hi
I am 27 . I am new to this mustang stuff. I use to have a 99 civic si with a gen drag 3 turbo with a 75 shot. It ran a 12.10 in the 1/4 mile. I know what you are thinking right now another rice-burner, but my civic was cool. The civic was completley stock interior and exterior ( no big dumb stupid spoiler)It was extremely fast untill it was stolen. I used to own a 2000 LS1 Z28 with minor mods. Now it's time for a fast Cobra or GT. If you have any advice on getting a cobra99-01 or a GT 99-03 it would be greatly appreciated and what mods to get.

Also need to know of a complete turbo kit with everything you need to bolt on and go

:bounce:

Firme
02-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Welcome to the board Thomas,

I also prefer turbo for forced induction.

I would recommend a Cobra over a GT for what you are looking to do, reason being, the 32v heads flow much better under forced induction than the 16v..

as far as which year to get, depends, you can pick up a 99-01 Cobra anywhere from 15-21k depending where you look, but the engine would need to be rebuilt with forged internals to run serious boost. Your other choice is finding an 03 real cheap and swapping a turbo on it. The 03-04's come with a factory built engine (grant it you can build one youself with better internal parts) and there are 03's out there with basically just a turbo slapped on running 9's.

The 99-01's have a few things different than the 03-04. Some highlights are, the forged internals. 99-01 have aluminum block, weaker IRS (01 is stronger than 99 w\31 spline), 5 speed tranny, stock 8 in wheels and 03-04 have cast iron block, stronger IRS (although with a turbo you will need to build it up just like the 99-01s), 6 speed tranny, 9 in wheels, better suspension, but weigh more...

as far as a turbo kits

As far as the turbo kit
http://66.70.20.245/store/Scripts/default.asp

Twin Turbo,
http://www.inductionconcepts.com/MustangCobra.asp
check out the numbers on the bottom of the page

spittincobra01
02-26-2004, 11:03 PM
I too would prefer a turbo over a s/c... unfortunately the kits aren't as readily available as a s/c kit. Next, although you would have to build up a short block, you are better off with a 99-01 (01 is the better choice where the intake is more free flowing, 31 spline IRS, stronger half shafts, nicer seats) as they do weigh significantly less, and with little investment will out corner a 03-04 any day. especailly where you plan to do a turbo anyway, there is no need to buy a factory s/c car.

BTW: glad to see the american muscle car claims another import lover!