PDA

View Full Version : Spun Bearing anyone?

Spiffy668
02-16-2004, 11:30 PM
Hrm... so, I've never spun a bearing before, or any other damage other than pushrods breaking, so I'll need some help with this one. :)

I've got a knock from the bottom end, stout enough to shake my shifter and tranny that progressed from a rattle that sounded like it came from the head. The issue is I know something is wrong, but not sure what.

I have no "SOTP" power loss, oil pressure is fine, temp is fine. According to my gauges and my seat, everything is fine. :D The rattle quiets at part throttle or anytime the car accelerates, and becomes quite visible when I get out of the throttle, and only slightly knocking at idle.

I was low on oil from the onset so I think either #7 or 8 thinned out enough to cause some damage. Not only that, but I've been driving with my rattlesnake for a couple of weeks since it was my only ride so 100 miles a day did not help anything. (and before you tell me how stupid I was, trust me, I know; couldn't be helped) :D

So, any ideas on this one? Spun bearing? Something else? Anyone experience anything like this? The car is finally parked since I got my Slomaro running so its time to tear it apart. Just would like some opinions so I can prepare the wallet or sell my soul. :(

Oh yeah, hello everyone. :cool:

steve
02-17-2004, 03:59 AM
Why were you low on oil from the outset. How low were you. Did you drive it hard when you were low on oil. Could be a rod, also.

Later:eek:

steve
02-17-2004, 04:01 AM
SPIFFY, how many miles on the car.:eek:

smashedheadcat
02-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Having spun a rod bearing somewhat recently, you'll definatly know when it happens. It'll sound like 2 hammers beating the $hit out of eachother. If that happens, damage can be pretty drastic. If a main bearing goes out, then you can damage the crankshaft and block pretty quickly. Usually the rod bearings will go first. Which, you can usually just have the crankshaft turned by a machine shop, and get new bearings. Without being there, and hearing exactly what it sounds like, i can't tell you if it's a bearing or not. Could just be a lifter or something.

Josh

Spiffy668
02-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Just passed 90K this weekend. Apparently I was quite low, 4 qts. :eek: I pulled the plugs and found my #4 was covered in oil. So, I guess I was burning it for quite some time and didn't notice. And no, I wasn't driving hard at the time. I had just gotten off the highway and heard the rattle, which I thought was the exhaust of some riced out Focus. Then when he took off and the rattle was still there, I knew something was wrong. :(

97whitevert
02-27-2004, 07:59 PM
sorry to hear that spiffy!!! awww heck just trade it for an o4!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW HI SPIFFY long time no see:( :( :(

Spiffy668
02-27-2004, 08:02 PM
You'll see me in June. :D Whether it will be the 'vert with a new motor or an '04 in Competition Orange remains to be seen..... :cool:

97whitevert
02-27-2004, 08:06 PM
would ya get another vert?? after all you are still in 12 month topless weather!
:thumbsup: :bounce:

Spiffy668
02-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Maybe I'll keep this one AND get a coupe. :D Huge promotions make one want to splurge. :drool:

97whitevert
02-27-2004, 08:36 PM
HUGE??? are you saying that..

nope i won't go there...i won't i won't.....:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Spiffy668
02-27-2004, 08:39 PM
That goes without saying... :cool:

But I don't work for them anymore. ;)

97whitevert
02-27-2004, 09:53 PM
no no no that is NOT what i meant......:eek: :eek:

i jsut thought you got promoted into making the movies....:rotf: :rotf: