PDA

View Full Version : Front Air "Splitter"/ dam

Hefewizen6
02-17-2004, 05:49 PM
I am in the process of researching the purchase of a 2000 Cobra R for myself. I have owned Mustangs before and am ready for a new one. I am looking at 3 different Cobra R's now and have a question: based on pictures that I have seen, why do some Cobra R's have a big front air splitter/dam and others don't? Is this a bolt on piece that comes with all? If someone could help me with that one, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Cobra-R
02-17-2004, 11:12 PM
The 00R's came with the splitter shipped inside the car, It is held on by Dzues fasteners and is relativly easy to install and remove.

My splitters have been put away in storage for a couple years now. The ground clearance with it installed is pretty low and you will scrape it with street driving.

Most of us will not even bother installing it at the track. The front fascia is not supported well enough to handle the load at 120+ mph.

Good luck with your purchase, Brian

Andy M
02-18-2004, 06:57 AM
Brian is correct on the subject of the original air splitters which came with the car. They are basically worthless unless you spend some dollars and reinforce them, plus reinforce the front fascia of the car. The basic problem is the front fascia on ALL SN95 Mustangs are being held on by just a few plastic push pins.... I swear, that is all that is holding the front fascia on.

Several of us who track our cars have had custom reinforcement cages built to fix this problem. It requires removing the front fascia off the car. Then we have also reinforced the splitter with a sheet of aluminum with some angled L braces. This keeps the splitter from fluttering above 100 mph.

Additionally, myself and another R owner from Houston have recently embarked on a crusade to have one made of carbon fiber, and I now have the prototype, which is at my painter's shop at the moment, being painted to match the car. This one will definitely last and not have the problems the originals had.

Email me if you wish to discuss this in greater detail..

rmenard71@earthlink.net

Cobra-R
02-18-2004, 10:39 AM
And it also should be noted that the handling benefit of running the splitter has be questionable at best. (at least at our level of driving skill)

Brian

PS: I didn't go indepth like andy since you mentioned nothing of tracking the car.

Hefewizen6
02-18-2004, 04:37 PM
So it sounds as though this basically is a cosmetic piece. The carbon fiber option sounds like a winner.

Thanks for the lesson in splitters. I needed it.

Andy M
02-18-2004, 08:22 PM
If you are never going to run open track with the car, then it is most definitely a cosmetic piece. If however you do plan to run the car on track, it does provide some significant downforce helping to keep the car stable at high speed. I have taken my car to 170 with the splitter on, and I can attest that the thing was very stable at that speed. Of course, it was a combination of the front splitter AND the rear wing teaming up to provide proper downforce at the front and the rear.

And one last benefit... it looks SO good on the car!!!!!! :thumbsup: