PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing Saleen Intercooler Issues

dalton13
02-20-2004, 02:54 PM
I was hoping you guys wouldn't mind a Saleen question, this is a serious call for help.

The Intercooler gauge will show 180 degrees as soon as I hit the SC. Usually it will stay nearly at that level until I turn the car off. I have had issues with the battery light showing on the dash, and have replaced the battery. I am hoping that my ASSumption that since the SC belt also connects to the Alternator, that these issues may be connected. It also studders pretty badly at a stop, and won't idle very well, sometimes even dying.

I took at look at the Intercooler pump, and it seems shaky, and is quite loud at times, suggesting that I may have a pump issue.

So, my questions are.

1. Do the issues above make sense that they could be connected?
2. Next step? Do I take to a Saleen authorized dealer and not get robbed?
3. Does anyone know where I might get a pump cheaper than a Ford dealer or Saleen, maybe even used?

TIA

dalton13
03-31-2004, 02:54 PM
The Fix -
I thought I would touch base and let everyone know what the problem was. Just in case someone has this issue in the future.

After taking a close look at when, where, and how the Intercooler got so hot, I found several problems. The pump itself is loud and the tempurature gauge is hitting really high numbers. Even after topping off the fluids, it would only resolve the issue for a day. Once I climbed under the car, I began to notice that the Intercooler Pump had a slow leak. I drove around the block and hit the SC and came home to find the pump leaking heavily.

Long story short, the pump blew a seal, and would only cause problems under heavy SC load, especially if I am using the AC at the same time. Replacement pump arrived yesterday and I am changing that puppy out.

Hope this helps someone save the time I lost in troubleshooting.

redsnake99
03-31-2004, 09:32 PM
If that doesn't work, trade it for a Cobra.