PDA

View Full Version : 2003 stock charger fit a 2001?

virginCobra
02-20-2004, 05:20 PM
OK, this may be a stupid question, but will a 2003 stock super charger fit in my 2001 coupe? If so, I may be a very happy man.

(When I say fit, I need it to be fairly direct. I don't know how to do elaborate fabrications)

tcrews
02-20-2004, 08:32 PM
You'll need a lot of pieces besides the charger...you'll need the intercooler and misc. tubing, the additional wiring necessary to run as well as a larger fuel pump and injectors.

Also remember the '03 Cobra is 8.5:1 compression and all forged components (built tough)....while your Cobra is 9.85:1 compression and hyperutectic (sp??) (built weak) pistions...

It's been done......person blew up very quickly after installing because of the greater compression and the instant boost at low-rpm of the Eaton charger.

virginCobra
02-21-2004, 10:11 AM
Tom,

I always read your replies and have grown to really respect you advice.. Now.. may I pick your brain a little more...

What about other supercharger kits sold for my 2001 coupe (vortech, etc..).. Would I run into the same problems with those where I might blow my engine unless I upgrade a lot of stock components?

Kinda scares the hell out of me..

Just curious, and as you have probably noticed, I am not a ford tech or pretend to be extremly knowledgable about tuning cars.

tcrews
02-21-2004, 05:51 PM
The other superchargers can blow your engine too.....remember, you are 'forcing' air into the engine which in turn mixed with more fuel makes more power. Since the engine is being 'forced' to make more power you have a greater chance of something going wrong.

All that in mind....I love boost!! Makes the car so much more fun to drive. Vortech makes an outstanding product for your car and comes with just about everything you need.

Kits designed for your car are designed with your engine specs in mind. The '03 blower setup is designed around that engine (iron block, lower compression, etc....).

I think the kit for your year from Vortech includes larger injectors and a larger intank pump. Check http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/ and they should list what's included.