PDA

View Full Version : Mods/Warranty

mtb01
02-23-2004, 02:43 PM
I have 6 months left on my warranty on my 2001 cobra. Wanting to know if I add CAI and under pulleys would that negate my warranty?

Firme
02-23-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by mtb01
I have 6 months left on my warranty on my 2001 cobra. Wanting to know if I add CAI and under pulleys would that negate my warranty?

It really depends on the dealer and the type of warranty work needed, but according to law, they could only void a claim that they believe was directly caused by the aftermarket mods. You hear threat being made of part voided someone's warrantly completely, but that is illegal. There is however alot of gray area. Meaning, you put on pulleys and take the car in because of engine failure and they blame it on the pulleys, well.. you would have to fight them on it....

Otherwise, if you do modifications, make sure you can easily put the factory parts back on to take in for warranty if you are worried. They look for dirt contrast (dirty engnie with clean stock pullies tell em you just put the stock ones back on) and scarring of the bolts...

Bartman01
02-23-2004, 10:05 PM
To be safe, consider the drivetrain part voided if you do that. Since the mods increase HP and TQ they put additional stress on the whole drivetrain. Any drivetrain issues you have will be blamed on the mods and you will have to fight it in most cases.

spittincobra01
02-25-2004, 09:34 PM
most dealers won't care too much about the CAI, the pullies on the other hand.... I know someone who had to pay out of pocket for a new 01 long block and labor because he had UD pullies on his 99

Mystic Cobra
02-25-2004, 10:23 PM
I'm not an attorney ...but I play one on TV (sorry couldn't resist), any way, Firme is right the law says that the mod must have contributed to the failure. You can seach on this and find lots of information related to warranties.

The problem is in some modification cases Ford has decided to take the "deny the warranty and let them sue me" approach. Then you are put in the position of fighting for your cause.

I wish that Ford would put out a list of factory approved mods that won't void your warranty but of course they won't (and I guess that I don't blame them).

Anyway you only have 6 months to wait.... I have a seven year sentence!!!