PDA

View Full Version : Which One ?

cowboyharry
03-05-2004, 07:04 PM
I am going to install a Cobra R front end on my 99. Either a Steeda of factory Ford???? Not sure which one to get. Any of youins have any thoughts on this?? Thanks, Harry.

Firme
03-05-2004, 07:12 PM
I'm sure the R n steeda front end owners are gonna chime in, but a couple of things... is the steeda front end as low to the ground as the R one? Also, would you want it to be removable or not???

some thought that might help you decide..

NJ2000R
03-16-2004, 08:39 AM
I'm sure the R n steeda front end owners are gonna chime in, but a couple of things... is the steeda front end as low to the ground as the R one? Also, would you want it to be removable or not???

some thought that might help you decide..

definately something to consider is the ground clearance issue....more so if you have a car that's been lowered....and another is the loose fit of the front fascia on your car as it comes from the factory, which will need added reinforcement regardless which splitter you add....the front of my R use to scrape bottom all the time, and at high speed, would actually flutter....in fact, if you go out to your car, put your hand in the front openings below the bumper, you can probably move it up and down an inch or more....eventually at high speeds it will rattle loose and possibly even break the headlight supports....I will supply a link to pics of the reinforcements that I've added....a few others have done similar reinforcing with similar results....one advantage to going with the ford splitter is that it can be removed, either for loading onto a trailer, or if you have a steep incline into your driveway, or gas stations, stores, etc, if that condition exists where you live....link to reinforcements: http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=1101&s=7744#content

cowboyharry
03-16-2004, 11:06 PM
[QUDang , It's always something , aint it. I had the body shop order me a Ford R front end. Thanks for the suport tips. I never new there was any problems with them. Harry.OTE=NJ2000R]definately something to consider is the ground clearance issue....more so if you have a car that's been lowered....and another is the loose fit of the front fascia on your car as it comes from the factory, which will need added reinforcement regardless which splitter you add....the front of my R use to scrape bottom all the time, and at high speed, would actually flutter....in fact, if you go out to your car, put your hand in the front openings below the bumper, you can probably move it up and down an inch or more....eventually at high speeds it will rattle loose and possibly even break the headlight supports....I will supply a link to pics of the reinforcements that I've added....a few others have done similar reinforcing with similar results....one advantage to going with the ford splitter is that it can be removed, either for loading onto a trailer, or if you have a steep incline into your driveway, or gas stations, stores, etc, if that condition exists where you live....link to reinforcements: http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=1101&s=7744#content[/QUOTE]

kevin
03-17-2004, 01:29 AM
if you plan on using the splitter for cosmetics only (slow cruising or car shows) there's no real need to support the front fascia area. if you plan on taking your car to 130mph very often or for extended periods (i.e. on a race track) you will most definetly require the front fascia support. even with the support the splitter will "flutter" but at least it won't tear your front end off (ask me how i found out in 2000).

the fascia suppoer will be needed for either splitter given the aboce criteria. however, the steeda splitter can't really be removed . i have scraped mine in just city driving (you defiently need to remove it to put the car in a trailer and strap it down.

cowboyharry
03-17-2004, 11:24 PM
My front nose piece has some damage and I am going to replace it. But after hearing about the trouble you all have had with the R front end I think I will cancel my order and replace it with the stock Cobra front end that is on the car now. I have never had any trouble from my regular Cobra front end (except the gash where it got squished, dont know how that happened, I think my 16 year old might have done it in the garage but he denies it).

I am aware that the R front end is low . I do not drive that fast very often ( I do like to get to the speed limit first). In 2 yearss my car has seen 140 mph only once. I dont think I want to go to the trouble of putting a new R front end on and having to go to the trouble of fabicating supports for it. Looks like Ford would have done a better job on it. Thanks for sharing your knowlage wit me. Harry. :thumbsup: Some words were not misspelled, they were wrote with a accent. ;)

NJ2000R
03-17-2004, 11:41 PM
Some words were not misspelled, they were wrote with a accent. ;)

hmmmm, I thought I recognized that accent....I bought my truck in Loudon ;) :D

cowboyharry
03-18-2004, 12:00 AM
Kool. :)

sssvtcobra
04-06-2004, 01:09 PM
definately something to consider is the ground clearance issue....more so if you have a car that's been lowered....and another is the loose fit of the front fascia on your car as it comes from the factory, which will need added reinforcement regardless which splitter you add....the front of my R use to scrape bottom all the time, and at high speed, would actually flutter....in fact, if you go out to your car, put your hand in the front openings below the bumper, you can probably move it up and down an inch or more....eventually at high speeds it will rattle loose and possibly even break the headlight supports....I will supply a link to pics of the reinforcements that I've added....a few others have done similar reinforcing with similar results....one advantage to going with the ford splitter is that it can be removed, either for loading onto a trailer, or if you have a steep incline into your driveway, or gas stations, stores, etc, if that condition exists where you live....link to reinforcements: http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=1101&s=7744#content

I was also thinking about putting an R front splitter on my car, I have an '01. I saw this and thought I would ask a quick question. Do you know of any reinforcement kits that I could purchase for the Ford R splitter? I don't really plan on doing any real high speeds at a track or anything, I just don't want to worry about it. I do alot of highway driving at speeds of 65-90 mph for extended periods of time.

Thank you in advance
Jeff

NJ2000R
04-06-2004, 01:22 PM
I was also thinking about putting an R front splitter on my car, I have an '01. I saw this and thought I would ask a quick question. Do you know of any reinforcement kits that I could purchase for the Ford R splitter? I don't really plan on doing any real high speeds at a track or anything, I just don't want to worry about it. I do alot of highway driving at speeds of 65-90 mph for extended periods of time.

Thank you in advance
Jeff

Jeff, at normal highway speeds you should be fine....there is no kit available that I know of....most of us have fabbed something up ourselves....

cowboyharry
04-06-2004, 10:03 PM
Jeff, at normal highway speeds you should be fine....there is no kit available that I know of....most of us have fabbed something up ourselves....
But what is normal????? :p

Cobra-R
04-08-2004, 04:04 PM
55 MPH, of course. ;););)

Brian

PS: They don't seem to have a problem under 120 mph. :thumbsup:

bolt-on
04-30-2004, 09:43 PM

Thank you in advance
Jeff

Sean Hyland Motorsports catalog lists two splitter support kits, one for the Cobra and the other for the Steeda. www.seanhylandmotorsport.com The catalog description states, "The kit includes a durable aluminum/plastic honeycomb plate and T6061 aluminum support rods which attach to the bumper rebar. All hardware included."